SaltCritters.com

CNC ASIS Build Updates Two 4 x 12 in Pearl White Powder)

DVaDeR77

Looking at the 6 x 18 sink for my 40b build. Can do 170 watts so I assume I can do roughly 56 LEDs or close to it. Will this sink work for a 40b, how high off the water and what optics if any. RB, NW, CB, OCW, TV, & HV. All solderless leds from ledgroupbuy along with a storm controller ldd drivers and a 6up board . As far as drivers go was thinking 5 700 drivers and a 300 for moonlights. How many of each LEDs would I need.

Thanks Chris

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

For a 40B, you'll want 8-12x NW, 16-24x royal blue, and 4-6x blue as a base, and then add in some cyan and violet.

I would personally recommend using Bridgelux Vero and Luxeon M for white and royal blue - much better color than any Cree (unless you pay $25-35 apiece for very specific CXA high-CRI diodes) and ~1/4 as much wiring. You'd want three Vero 10 at 300-350mA, six Luxeon M RB at 1000mA, six XP-E2 blue (they're the best color of blue available at this time), and then the cyan and violet (maybe 3-4x cyan and 8-12x violet).

• 2 weeks later...

Been going back and forth on this now I'm thinking I can do 2 of the 4x12 sinks instead of the 1 6 x18 as it might give better coverage any input would be great.

2 heatsink will be a better way to go, strictly from a coverage standpoint.

Careful with the high power arrays or quad chip LEDs. Normally, these high lumen density LEDs can warp acrylic at short distances. With the design of the heatsink putting airflow through the LED area, this shouldn't be a problem, but look out for it anyway.

So I bit the bullet and ordered 2 of the 4x12 ASIS fixtures it pearl white powder with rear exit 12" goosneck. My plane for leds is 24 RB, 12 White, 6 Blue(are these blue or cool blue one in the same or different colors i ask for a reason) 4 OCW, 6 HV and 6 TV. Ive used steves leds on my BC14 and am happy so. Do i gor with steves again or LGB. I can get what i need from both places how ever steves carries only cool blue where as LGB has only blue hence my question above. Rebel from Steves or Cree from LGB. I doo plan do use LDD drivers and LDD boards. Each light will be independent from each other but be controlled by a Storm X. Im thinking Blues 1ch, NW 1ch, HV TV 1ch, OCW 1ch and ill have moonlights on 1ch, so 5 channels per light. Any thing im missing and comments or advice welcome.

jedimasterben

Blue, cool blue, and standard blue are one in the same, though there can be very different bins. The ones that Steve currently has are very high-nm - in the 480-485nm range, which is almost cyan. LEDgroupbuy has new ones coming at the end of this week that should be 465nm peak, which is exactly what you want in a blue LED, so cyan and blue should be separated and not overlap nearly as much.

I would look at using Bridgelux Vero and Luxeon M for your white and royal blue LEDs. Use the 4x of the Vero 10 and run them at ~250-350mA each, use 8x of the Luxeon M (two per Vero) and run them around 700mA. To that, add 8x blue XP-E2 (the new ones I mentioned earlier), 4x Rebel cyan, and 8-12x true and hyper violet (split them up 50/50 or 75/25 or however you want to do them). I would normally say 3x Vero and 6x Luxeon M, but you can't divide that evenly across two heatsinks, so just use more at a lower current :)

who's HV TV should i use and what about deep red, also can i run the 2 vero off same driver or do the need there own same with the luxeon m.

LEDGroupBuy has the best violets.

As for deep red, if you're running veros a deep red won't be necessary. Veros have plenty of red spectrum.

If I don't want to use the Luxeon m for royal blue and want to use single 3 watt leds how many per Vero 10 should be used. I don't have the sinks yet so im not sure on the room i may have.

I was just asking just for an option. I ordered the vero 10 they will be here tomorrow not sure on the fixtures yet so im not sure on space. I do have about 10 rb left over from another build that I found so I was thinking I could use those.

jedimasterben

You want a minimum of a 1:12 ratio of lumens of neutral white to milliwatts of royal blue, so use that to figure out how many you need at the currents you will run the NW and RB.

Well my 4 Vero 10s came in. These things are small, I was expecting them to be a little bigger then normal. Ive only seen and used Steve's Rebel LEDs. How big are the Luxeon M to the Vero's?

Just asking but does Vero come in a RB or is the Luxeon M the only option?

jedimasterben

Well my 4 Vero 10s came in. These things are small, I was expecting them to be a little bigger then normal. Ive only seen and used Steve's Rebel LEDs. How big are the Luxeon M to the Vero's?

The Luxeon M are on a 30mm square MCPCB, the Vero10 are on a 21mm hexagon PCB.

Just asking but does Vero come in a RB or is the Luxeon M the only option?

The M is the only multichip royal blue (besides crappy Chinese choices) at this time.

So this is what I'm looking at doing. 4 Vero 10's (already have), 8 Luxeon M RB(Ordered), 4 Cyan, 8 Blue XP-E2, 6 HV and 6 TV. 2 4 x 12 Asis Fixtures (ordered). Each fixture will have 2 vero's, 4 Luxeon, 4 EP-E2, 2 cyan, and 6 50/50 mix of the TV-HV. Ill also have moonlights on each fixture. (Ive read where people say to use White only and some use RB only, could i use both but run very low?) Id like to only use 5 channles per fixture including the moonlights if possible. If i cant let me know. How would you go about setting this up and what LDD drivers to use? Also plan to use a Storm X for control.

jedimasterben

Using the Storm X and the 12-bit dimming will allow you to use just about any LEDs as moonlights, even the Veros! Just run the channels very, very low - moonlight is only for our viewing, the moon is so dim when it hits the water that it just doesn't penetrate, so even the shallowest reefs really don't get any moonlight ever.

How about my channel line up and what drivers to use per fixture. Trying to wrap my head around all this just doesnt make any since to me. I see that the veros Foward voltage is somewhere around 24-27v and the luxeon m are 11v. the Ldd drivers can go up to 52v. So could i run 2 veros of 1 driver and 4 luxeon m of of 1 driver or am i thinking wrong. that why im asking doesnt compute right with me.

jedimasterben

The LDD only do 52v output on a 56v input. Expect a 49v output if you tune your power supply to 52v.

The Vero are 27v each, so they need their own LDD or to be run in parallel. Run four M per LDD if you tune the power supply.

ok so my 5 ldd per fixture wont work. so im looking at 4 300Ldd for vero 10s, 2 700 for the Luxeon, 2 700 for tv/hv, 2 700 for blue and cyan, and 2 for moonlights. i think that is right. What power supply should i buy or get only want 1?

Archived