inTank Media Baskets

Running 3 5.2 clusters

Angrysanta

Hello there, Using a group buy 250w 5.2a psu how would I run 3 of the above LED clusters. I need to use LDD drivers due to PWM dimming. Thanks Simon

So using the interconnects on the website I could use one LDD for all of one channel in all three clusters. So I would only need 5 LDD to run the whole thing. Cheers

jedimasterben

One LDD can run two channels of the 5.2, not three, that's pulling too much voltage and will damage the LDD or the LEDs (or both).

I think that to run three you need two with the interconnects, and one with dual Molex connectors.

Timmydatoolman

FYI on the inter connects, the will only allow you to place the lumia 17" inches apart. Probably not a big deal but I wanted mine 18" apart so now I have to splice the wires.

Do 4. Not 3.

The 5.2s seem designed to run in pairs. And coverage would be superior, you can always turn them down. You'll have everything else you need, bought already. Almost...

It will change which heatsink or heatsinks you go with, of course. Either two short ones, so youll have your own Radion style. Or one long 48" heatsink with the 5.2s spaced evenly.

Youll need to upgrade your power supply to handle the 280 watts, but I don't think that's a big jump in price from the 250w.

So, for just a litlle more than $120 difference, you can have 1/3 more light. And it will be symmetrical, with superior coverage.

Edit: I think when I calculated wattage, it was close to 75w, but they are listed as 70w. Me, I would design around 75 watts per Lumia.

I'm with you on this especially for LDD drivers.

One question. Wouldn't you actually need a 250 for running a pair of Lumia 5.2s? The power supply actually puts out 48V and 3.75 Amps not 180W divided however you choose. If you run the Lumia at max suggested currents using LDDs (well... the pure cree strings at 1A instead of 1.5A), you'll be using 2 - 1A LDDs and 3 - 700mA LDDs. That's a total of 4.1 Amps from the driver. OR is it more important that the LDDs are drawing no more than 36W @ 700mA or 33W @ 1A? I'm not that versed in power supplies in this instance.

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

I'm with you on this especially for LDD drivers.

One question. Wouldn't you actually need a 250 for running a pair of Lumia 5.2s? The power supply actually puts out 48V and 3.75 Amps not 180W divided however you choose. If you run the Lumia at max suggested currents using LDDs (well... the pure cree strings at 1A instead of 1.5A), you'll be using 2 - 1A LDDs and 3 - 700mA LDDs. That's a total of 4.1 Amps from the driver. OR is it more important that the LDDs are drawing no more than 36W @ 700mA or 33W @ 1A? I'm not that versed in power supplies in this instance.

You size the power supply by wattage, not by amperage. Add up everything and then give around 20% extra, so two 5.2 would be ~150w total, with 20% extra the power supply should be 180w or greater.

Archived