inTank Media Baskets

Codium tips

Enchelycore808

Enchelycore808

Anyone have tips on growing codium? I just cannot keep it alive in my tank. Salinity 1.025, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0-5ppm according to my test kit. Water change once a week 50% with RO and kent reef mix. It's a 6gallon fluval with the fluval nano led plant 7500k 8w. Thinking maybe the light is on the weaker side so I ordered 3x 3w ecopico 6500-8000k strips. Hopefully will be better. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I haven't been able to keep it or chaeto alive either. Some recommend supplmenting iron but IMO that is playing with fire.

Do you have other macros?

I have no problem with codium but I can't grow octodes.. my codium has grown like a champ in high nutrient and low nutrient, high light low light, etc.. I find that it helps to weight it down..

Enchelycore808

I haven't been able to keep it or chaeto alive either. Some recommend supplmenting iron but IMO that is playing with fire.

Funny u should mention that because I can't keep chaeto alive either lol! Tried to grow it tumbling, tied to a rock etc. eventually just turns white and dissolves. Could be that the racemosa outcompete the chaeto in that tank because that thing would grow so thick and fill my sump up end to end in a week. In the codium tank there's a small but of chaeto ( I wanted to try yet again since different tank), galaxaura sp, c. Racemosa and c. Taxifolia. Not much atm.

Galaxaura is nice. It didn't grow fast enough for me and the crabs devoured it.

I've chalked it up to just not being able to provide it with a required element.

Enchelycore808

I have no problem with codium but I can't grow octodes.. my codium has grown like a champ in high nutrient and low nutrient, high light low light, etc.. I find that it helps to weight it down..

Hmm tried gluing and tying it. No luck so far. Maybe you have the green thumb haha!

Enchelycore808

Galaxaura is nice. It didn't grow fast enough for me and the crabs devoured it.

I've chalked it up to just not being able to provide it with a required element.

Yeah it grows really slow for me too. At least it's alive though. Man I hate trying to get crabs out of the fluval. Not only will they be hiding in the rock, but the opening is only so big.

I haven't been able to keep it or chaeto alive either. Some recommend supplementing iron but IMO that is playing with fire.

I supplement Kent's iron and manganese. i've had nothing but good results following the directions on the bottle

Enchelycore808

Hmm maybe lll have to look in to that.. I wonder if the caulerpa and chaeto are pulling nutrients faster then I wc them in. Only fish in that tank is a lonely fisheri seahorse so not to much in flow of nutrients. When I got it in couple weeks ago, codium was about 3-4". Now they are small stubs glued to a rock.

As a macro growout facility, I will assure you that it would be difficult to dose too much iron. Aside from the rank and file with the warning of dosing too much iron, I suggest you go to Randy Holmes articles of iron dosing. As a pHd in chemistry, I listen to his advice more than the crowd.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Enchelycore808

Ok I think I figured out my tank might be to warm as it's usually in the mid 80s. The Fragilis has died. All that remains is a little 1/2" bunch that was glued to a rock. It hasn't grown but it but it hasn't died yet either.. Switched to a hawaiian sp codium which is doing great but it doesn't get tall like the other.

I'm thinking w/ 50% water changes too much nitrate or nutrients are going out the door so it doesn't have anything to feed on?

Enchelycore808

Thanks all for the replies! Just thought if give an update. I had the smallest little nub left. Literally looked like a dust bunny made of green felt. Started uping my ferts dose and over the last week or so it's not see through anymore. It's actually solid green with little knobs starting to grow. I thought this guy was a goner.... Hopefully the snails leave it alone lol.

Archived