Coral Vue Hydros

Clam for a BC29 - is my tank good enough for one?

Biokabe

Hello, clam lovers! I've been wanting to get a clam for my tank ever since I started it five years ago. Here's my tank thread, but the pertinent info in a nutshell:

Lighting: DIY LEDs, dimmable, mostly Bridgelux 3W, relatively full-spectrum. 33 LEDs, it hangs about 12" or so above the tank. Currently no optics, though I could certainly add them.The spot I'm thinking of is in the center of the tank, about 6-10" below the waterline.

Parameters:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: Ranges from 0-10ppm, depending on when the last water change was

Cal: 450-480ppm

Mag.: 1230ppm

Alk.: 6-7dKH

Salinity: 1.023sg

I've just started dosing for Alk/Magnesium, trying to get Alk back up into the 7-8 range and Mg closer to 1350, using 5ml daily of Kent's Nano-Reef two-part solution (5ml of each). I don't currently test for any parameters not listed.

I'm currently running an AquaticLife 115 skimmer, and the standard media basket packages. I do a weekly 10-15% water change, using Coralife's salt mix, though I'm thinking of switching after my next water change (my bucket's almost empty).

I have four fish in the tank (pink skunk clown, flametail blenny, elongate dottyback, royal gramma) and am currently feeding a small amount daily (varied between Hikari sinking pellets, Prime Reef flakes, frozen mysis, frozen cyclops and occassional pieces of seaweed for the blenny - he eats everything, but he goes crazy for the seaweed). I have a variety of different corals (full list in the tank thread) and give them an additional targeted feeding every couple of days.

My questions are:

1) Is my lighting good enough for a clam? I've grown various SPS and LPS successfully in the tank, though some of the more delicate corals haven't done well - I suspect that had more to do with my water quality at the time, not the lights. I have them dialed back to about 65% intensity right now, but am planning to adjust upwards to encourage a little more growth.

2) Are the water parameters right, and is the tank mature enough? It's been running for five years, but that's a little misleading; I had a major crash about seven months ago. What, if any, parameters do I need to adjust to provide a good environment? What, if any, parameters should I start testing for to make sure that the tank remains a good fit for a clam?

3) What species of clams are good for the 29g Biocube? I've heard Derasa and Maxima clams are good - is that correct, or should I look for a different species?

I'm not in any rush to put a clam into the tank in the immediate future - need to find the right clam, and I want to make sure that my tank isn't a death trap for such a beautiful (and expensive!) animal. Thanks in advance for your advice!

1) lighting is fine for your suggested placement

2) parameters are fine, a clam will speed up alk/cal usage. as far as mature? didn't you say your tank was 5 yrs old? that's PLENTY mature for a clam..

3) stick with crocea or maxima, the others will all get too big (you could get away with squammy or derasa for a while, but they get BIG).

get one.. you'll love it.

So no Gigas, then? ;) LFS has a Gigas that has be close to 36" long... that thing is bigger than my entire tank!

if you're looking for the best selection of beautiful clams, check out pacific east aquaculture.. they're pricey, but they're healthy and have (like I said) the best selection of wysiwyg tridacnids..

their stock seems a little low right now (they'll get more in soon I'm sure).. we've had lots of members order clams from them..

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/prodList.asp?idcategory=3&pMaxItemsPerPage=1000

liveaquaria is another great option (divers den if you want wysiwyg)..

as always, local is still a good option if you want to see the livestock first hand, we don't all have that option.

You could also start with a derasa. Hardiest of the clams we keep in our tanks.
My BC14 is almost 2 years old. Keeping a derasa and a mini maxima. Both healthy and growing.

You're tank sounds like it's very ready. Hopefully Zeph chimes in. He's the man with the clam(s)! :)

You could also start with a derasa. Hardiest of the clams we keep in our tanks.

My BC14 is almost 2 years old. Keeping a derasa and a mini maxima. Both healthy and growing.

You're tank sounds like it's very ready. Hopefully Zeph chimes in. He's the man with the clam(s)! :)

you have a derasa in a 14g??

I agree that the larger clams are hardier, but I'd be worried about size, calcium uptake, etc.. though I don't know how fast they grow in reality.

you have a derasa in a 14g??

I agree that the larger clams are hardier, but I'd be worried about size, calcium uptake, etc.. though I don't know how fast they grow in reality.

Yep. Doing great. When it gets too big I'll give it back to my LFS

There are a couple of LFS that carry clams, but I've never been terribly impressed with the local selection here... the clams at one store (the one with the gigantic Gigas) almost always look a few minutes away from death. The clams at the other store are nicer, but they usually only carry a few. I've had good experiences with Pacific East, though... maybe by the time I'm ready to bring one in, their selection will improve. :)

Thanks for the responses!

One final question: the rock that it would likely sit on, while not directly in the path of my MP10, is pretty close. Would the clam be unhappy about the flow? The MP10 is probably 4" in front and 10" away from where the clam would sit.

you'll just have to try it and see, you can always move the mp10.. if they get too much flow they get irritated, they don't really care for their mantle being flipped around.. mine always looks prettiest in lower flow..

Your setup is pretty is pretty similar to mine but I had an hqi light until 2 days ago. I am curious to see how my clam reacts. Currently it is on the sand bed. The mp10 placement would worry me though. At 50% my jeabao wp10 is perfect for the clam and is not pointing directly at it.

I'm gonna +1 on the derasa, I started with one in my biocube and he kept hardy all the way up until I sold my 75 gallon.

Here he was in my old 29 cube 100_2215.jpg

And then about 6 months later in my 75

100_2832.jpg

Archived