SaltCritters.com

Who wants to see more of this tank?

glennr1978

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I don't see why anyone would setup a tank like this. One of those acans probably cost more then the tank. Obviously money is not an issue. Just because you can keep one or 3 tangs alive in a 40 gallon doesn't make it a good idea. By no means am I saying you have to follow guidelines to the letter, but keeping in the relm of them in many cases is probably a good idea. I don't think it would be easy to remove a fish from a tank like that. They are probably wasting a ton of money cooling the tank too. The light issue spreads could probably be resolved with better reflectors.

Sure the tank looks great, looks better then any tank I've ever had, but imagine the same lovestock in say a 120g with the acans on islands and the dendros and rhyzos? in caves instead of just lined up in rows across the tank.

Maybe this sounds overly harsh but it's not meant to. I just think it could be done so much nicer given the available resources.

Personally I don't see why anyone would setup a tank like this. One of those acans probably cost more then the tank. Obviously money is not an issue. Just because you can keep one or 3 tangs alive in a 40 gallon doesn't make it a good idea. By no means am I saying you have to follow guidelines to the letter, but keeping in the relm of them in many cases is probably a good idea. I don't think it would be easy to remove a fish from a tank like that. They are probably wasting a ton of money cooling the tank too. The light issue spreads could probably be resolved with better reflectors.

Sure the tank looks great, looks better then any tank I've ever had, but imagine the same lovestock in say a 120g with the acans on islands and the dendros and rhyzos? in caves instead of just lined up in rows across the tank.

Maybe this sounds overly harsh but it's not meant to. I just think it could be done so much nicer given the available resources.

Well I'll just touch on the "fish removal" issue first...the owner of the tank literally catches them with his bare hands, I've seen it myself. Secondly, your lighting arguement. Obviously the spread would be greater with larger reflectors but that's not the point. Even I, an avid mh fan have to admit that mh alone cannot provide the "pop" that LED's can. Basically the halide are for growth and the LED's are for color. Lastly, "why a tank this size"? That one's simple...why not!

I'm amazed at all the dendros and the tubastrea, my one I almost killed in the Par 38 tank due to too much light, even when I moved it to the side. He's got those in bright light and they're all flowy.

FYI Glenn, op has the most likes from any post that has ever been posted on nr. Congrats.

I think this was his goal all along, he was tryin to get some extra likes.. there is no tank.. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Why would a guy that spent that much time/$$ on a tank not want to come on here and tell/brag about it? :D

That's just not his thing I guess :). In fact, he didn't just offer up the pics I posted. I pretty much had to bug him until he sent them to me, lol. I know he works a lot so that may have something to do with why he hasn't posted here. I'll see him again soon because I have his PAR meter...and the new one I had to buy him because I dropped his in my tank will be here tomorrow. Costly mistake on my part!! I'll try once again to get him to start a thread, or just post up some pics and info here. He really would be a huge asset to this community. the guy is definitely the most knowledgeable reefer I know, by far. Maybe I can bribe him with coral!!

That's just not his thing I guess :). In fact, he didn't just offer up the pics I posted. I pretty much had to bug him until he sent them to me, lol. I know he works a lot so that may have something to do with why he hasn't posted here. I'll see him again soon because I have his PAR meter...and the new one I had to buy him because I dropped his in my tank will be here tomorrow. Costly mistake on my part!! I'll try once again to get him to start a thread, or just post up some pics and info here. He really would be a huge asset to this community. the guy is definitely the most knowledgeable reefer I know, by far. Maybe I can bribe him with coral!!

Do it buddy!

you have his par meter as a hostage.. tell him he can have it back as soon as we get our drugs build thread

• 1 month later...

Can you get a pic of his filtration?

Maybe, please.

If he's always busy, it's got to be extensive and automated.

Why bring this back to life?

Why do you care?

Why did you post in the thread?

Do you really live in New Jersey?

Archived