Innovative Marine Aquariums

Who wants to see more of this tank?

glennr1978

This tank belongs to a local reefer and IMO, is the nicest 40 breeder around. Everything about this tank is unconventional and it breaks....actually it smashes many of the "rules" of reefing. I'll leave it up to the owner of the tank to post the details, but just look at how much light he has over this LPS dominated system. If that's not high light I don't know what is! Here's a couple of pics he sent me, maybe if we generate interest we can get him to start a thread for this beauty! If you want to see more click the like button!

IMG_9305_zps9fe7bb31.jpg

IMG_4021_zps696e221c.jpg

IMG_4649_zpsfe238aa7.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see more.. very nice tank..

I will need a tank thread and a bowl of popcorn. maybe a beer.

and make him join the 40b club.

how does he not fry everything with all that light? I can't see what the white bulbs are, are they just CFL? and I assume he has the AI's turned way down.. but even so, that's a crazy amount of light..

and obviously overstocked (according to the standard train of thought in this hobby, doesn't mean much IMO)..

Hey Glenn . . . did you sell him all those acans?

Or, does he sell to you. :)

That's a GREAT tank!

This tank has been set up since well before I started selling coral. I'm not sure where he got all of those colonies, but they are SWEET!

how does he not fry everything with all that light? I can't see what the white bulbs are, are they just CFL? and I assume he has the AI's turned way down.. but even so, that's a crazy amount of light..

and obviously overstocked (according to the standard train of thought in this hobby, doesn't mean much IMO)..

The lights are a pair of 250w radiums and 3 AI sol's. "Overstocked" is an understatement. He showed me a video that would blow minds here. This guy is the Cesar Milan of reefing, his fish do what he wants them to. You can see in the video that the fish are all very healthy, and look right at home in the tank. Hopefully I can get him to post the video.

The lights are a pair of 250w radiums and 3 AI sol's. "Overstocked" is an understatement. He showed me a video that would blow minds here. This guy is the Cesar Milan of reefing, his fish do what he wants them to. You can see in the video that the fish are all very healthy, and look right at home in the tank. Hopefully I can get him to post the video.

3 sols and 500w of mh?????? :o does he put sunscreen on before working on the tank?

Yellow tang in a 40 !!!!! Yellow tang in a 40 !!!!!!! ;)

Better call the tang mall cops! :)

IIRC, there's 3 other tangs in there. You can only see about 1/3 of the fish he has in the pics.

what is he running for his filtration?

Its probably a monster of a skimmer (s). Do you see the locline coming up from the bottom, in front of the nem. My guess would be that the AIs are there for spread, more than intensity. To get into the shadows as much as possible. The lights are what > 12" off the tank, thats a lot of intensity lost in those 12" of air(inverse square rule). And I would love to see more.

Yeah, he is using a monster skimmer, gfo reactor, carbon reactor, and a ton of LR. There's probably more that I'm forgetting but that's what I remember off of the top of my head.

Need wayyyyyy more pics of this tank !!!!!!

he's being a tease.. I want some background, some pics, some info on the setup.. the whole shebang..

he's being a tease.. I want some background, some pics, some info on the setup.. the whole shebang..

I wish I had all of that info! The owner of the tank was over at my house picking up a few corals and showed me the pics (I had him text them to me so I could drool more) and the video that I posted about previously. I sent him a text today with a link to this thread. I know he is probably busy with work, but hopefully he will get a chance to post a little more info and pics!

Solids tank?

Yes.

Archived