Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's 36g reef

vlangel

I can't tell you have my times that has happened to me! Corals just melting away for no apparent reason or just not growing the way they should.

Yes, I guess its just a part of reefing. I've been in it long enough now not to over stress about it. I just stick to my maintenance schedule and make sure I don't skip anything and it'll turn around. There are much worse things like a crash over something that would be impossible to foresee or prevent. This tank has been incredibly stable since I set it up almost 2 years ago so I've been spoiled.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a full turn around but turning....I hope. I lost the long tentacled torch and probably the Duncan. Everything else looks good. I still have a bit of hair algae on the rocks. I am definitely inclined to think it is water related because my acans in the seahorse tank also shriveled and melted, and since the systems share water I figure that has got to be it. I will lay low about adding new corals and just keep at doing my WCs.

Almost sounds like a silicon issue, or something related to the plumbing work.

I agree with you Mark. I am still wondering about the Nualgi that I was dosing? Its whole premise is adding silicon in a micron form that is small enough for the planktonic life,( diatoms) to utilize it and thus flourish and feed the corals. My LPS were amazing in the beginning and I used it almost 4 mos. Perhaps something builds up with continual use. I would have thought WCs would take care of that and I am very faithful about my WCs so I'm not sure. I have discontinued using it for now.

O man, I am a dunce! I may have figured out why some of my corals are dying and doing poorly. Awhile back I got the bright, ( OK maybe not so bright ) idea to use dehumidifier water in the tank. I thought it would be like using distilled for a water change. WRONG! If you google it, dehumidified water is considered gray water and not even safe for your houseplants. Uhggg!!! I guess copper and aluminum can leach from the coils plus airborne contaminants. Its a wonder I didn't do more damage than I did! Today I did a 20% WC that was not from the dehumidifier. Lesson learned.

Hey everyone, I think I posted a video with some help from my brother in law and husband! Take a tour of my aquarium.

Enjoyed that video! Is that a big banded aptasia at the bottom? My brother just sent me a photo today and he has one just like it. Very cool :).
Enjoyed that video! Is that a big banded aptasia at the bottom? My brother just sent me a photo today and he has one just like it. Very cool :).
Thanks Gena, when I bought the pistol shrimp the curlyque anemone came with it. They paired up even though I put them on opposite ends of the tank. I researched the nem since I didn't know anything about them and they are in the aptasia family which was scary and even worse is they can eat small fish! Mine has been a model citizen however not stinging anything he shouldn't, not multiplying like crazy and not eating his tank mates.

Wow. I too thought the dehumidifier water would be fairly safe to use.
I was ashamed to even admit I had been using the water from the dehumidifier but I thought there was a chance someone else might be tempted to do it also and figured they could learn from my mistake. It makes me at least feel better that you didn't know it was really bad too.

Glad you found the issue. Could have been worse!

When I saw that copper could be in it, I was pretty concerned but I haven't lost any inverts so it must be just trace amounts. Even so I will do another bigger WC again next week. It was really good that I don't have my seahorses yet since the systems are hooked together. Maybe I will use chemi pure to see if any copper comes out.

I rearranged a few corals and moved everything off the sandbed except the brain. It is a more pleasing, balanced look utilizing the negative space more effectively. Everything looks pretty good but I am worried about the clam. Its not reacting to shadows as readily as it did. I plan to do another WC today of about 12g or so to see if that helps.

Your rock work is visually pleasing and I really like the combination of coral and livestock. I used to have a Yasha goby/shrimp combination and the relationship between the two was fun to watch. Will be following along.

Your rock work is visually pleasing and I really like the combination of coral and livestock. I used to have a Yasha goby/shrimp combination and the relationship between the two was fun to watch. Will be following along.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Sadly the yasha goby never paired with the shrimp since the shrimp paired with the curlyque anemone that it came with. The shrimp and the nem are stilled paired and the goby hung near for a long time but eventually died. I love gobies and I think it would be fun to watch a snapping shrimp and goby.

Today's WC seems to have yielded positive results. All the LPS are looking good and the clam is responding better. I'm thinking that we have turned the corner and the tank is probably on the mend now. I'm feeling good about it.

When I saw that copper could be in it, I was pretty concerned but I haven't lost any inverts so it must be just trace amounts. Even so I will do another bigger WC again next week. It was really good that I don't have my seahorses yet since the systems are hooked together. Maybe I will use chemi pure to see if any copper comes out.

Supposedly Polyfilter will absorb metals, etc. It will change color to indicate what it's absorbing...blue for copper, orange for iron, etc.

This stuff

http://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Filter_Filter_Pad_Mechanical_Filter_Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-vi.html

Thanks Gena, you are right. Actually when I said about using chemi pure a few posts prior, I meant poly-filter. I knew it was good for copper, not sure what aluminum does?

Dr.Brain Coral

Thanks Gena, when I bought the pistol shrimp the curlyque anemone came with it. They paired up even though I put them on opposite ends of the tank. I researched the nem since I didn't know anything about them and they are in the aptasia family which was scary and even worse is they can eat small fish! Mine has been a model citizen however not stinging anything he shouldn't, not multiplying like crazy and not eating his tank mates.

I was ashamed to even admit I had been using the water from the dehumidifier but I thought there was a chance someone else might be tempted to do it also and figured they could learn from my mistake. It makes me at least feel better that you didn't know it was really bad too.

Rest easy as curlyque dont spread.

Rest easy as curlyque dont spread.

Thanks, I pretty much only worried about it in the beginning. It amazes me how they can relocate....it was on the right side of the tank for a long time, then Ruth the serpent star fish sort of moved in under the same rock work. I guess the nem and shrimp felt crowded because one night they just up and moved. In the morning I found them in a hole on the left side of the tank. They are one of my husband's favorite creatures.

Whew, great news!

Hey Mark, I have a question for you...I haven't been able to download any pics for almost a week. I am wondering if I have exceeded my attachment limit because it says that my allotted disk space has been exceeded for attachments. I tried deleting some posts that had pics that were not important to my threads but that didn't help. I'm guessing if I become a premium member then I would have more attachment space but I don't know how to do that. I have posted multiple times asking in general discussion and in questions about site and forum and haven't gotten any replies. I see you are a premium member so figured you'd know how to become one. My husband has a paypal account, could I use that to pay and where do I send it? Sorry to bother you with all this stuff, just didn't know how else to resolve this.

Hey Mark, I have a question for you...I haven't been able to download any pics for almost a week. I am wondering if I have exceeded my attachment limit because it says that my allotted disk space has been exceeded for attachments. I tried deleting some posts that had pics that were not important to my threads but that didn't help. I'm guessing if I become a premium member then I would have more attachment space but I don't know how to do that. I have posted multiple times asking in general discussion and in questions about site and forum and haven't gotten any replies. I see you are a premium member so figured you'd know how to become one. My husband has a paypal account, could I use that to pay and where do I send it? Sorry to bother you with all this stuff, just didn't know how else to resolve this.

You can go here for subscriptions: http://www.nano-reef.com/premium/

It does increase space for attachments, but you can also manage attachments somewhere, I thought, to free up space. If I find it I'll let you know! :D

Archived