Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's 36g reef

vlangel

Hey everyone, I think I posted a video with some help from my brother in law and husband! Take a tour of my aquarium.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to buy some dragons breath from a local hobbyist with the idea that it would go in the seahorse tank. However since the pony tank isn't cycled yet I dumped most of it in my sump but put a little in with the LPS. It adds nice color.

I have lowered the temperature for my chiller from 76-79 down to 74-77. I need to acclimate the corals and fish to cooler temps to prepare them for when I hook into the seahorse tank, which I will probably run 73-75.

Brrrr,

but everything should be fine. I just like feeling warm water when I stick my arm in the tank. :D

Roshan8768

I have lowered the temperature for my chiller from 76-79 down to 74-77. I need to acclimate the corals and fish to cooler temps to prepare them for when I hook into the seahorse tank, which I will probably run 73-75.

Just do it gradually, a lot of corals with blue/green colors often look better at 76-78. My anemone's don't like it at all though, and move around a lot.... you may want to keep an eye on yours

Just do it gradually, a lot of corals with blue/green colors often look better at 76-78. My anemone's don't like it at all though, and move around a lot.... you may want to keep an eye on yours

Thanks for the info, I will definitely be keeping an eye on everything. It will be 2-3 months before I get the ponies so I can take my time.

Brrrr,

but everything should be fine. I just like feeling warm water when I stick my arm in the tank. :D

I know Mark, I agree but unfortunately the ponies do not. It doesn't help that the seahorse tank is 24" high so I will be wet to my armpits! As far as the LPS, they are looking fine so far. I will keep my eye on them but LPS are pretty sturdy.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I took a quick look in the coral tank and noticed the RBTA didn't look too good. I was in the middle of planting flowers outside so I figured I'd take a better look when I got done. So tonight when I came in to feed the fish I peered in expecting the worst but much to my surprise Rosey the nem, or now I should say nems looked pretty good! I'm guessing she may have divided because of me cooling the tank down for the seahorses.

Nanofreak79

^ nem splitting is cool to watch. I just caught up on your tank. Very beautifully done. I'm excited for the seahorses.

^ nem splitting is cool to watch. I just caught up on your tank. Very beautifully done. I'm excited for the seahorses.

I didn't realize the nem was splitting when I first looked. I've had nems but never had one split, I would have stayed and watched if I'd known.

Thank you for the kind words. I hope my seahorse tank works out as well as my LPS tank.

Nanofreak79

When someone wants one for years there's a good chance things will be ok. Most likely you've read lots about them by then. Lol.

When someone wants one for years there's a good chance things will be ok. Most likely you've read lots about them by then. Lol.

Yes, I've been reading about them and their particular needs, which is why I held off so long. I wasn't ready for the commitment until now. My main fear is sharing the sump with my LPS tank and introducing pathogens. I have a big chiller and I need it for both tanks, and sharing the sump is the only way I can think of doing that. I will run both systems at 72-74 degrees, (LPS are tough and will be ok although probably won't grow much at that temperature) to protect the seahorses from pathogens. Also the return going to the seahorse tank is the one with a UV on it so that should help too. I plan to use a probiotic in the water as another defense against dangerous bacterias. My final plan of attack is keeping a clean system and since I used to service tanks I am somewhat anal about WCs anyhow. Both systems have HOB skimmers to help with nutrient export too. I believe this can work or else I wouldn't put the seahorses at risk but I am still nervous.

Nanofreak79

I've got the air in the house on. It's only been 75 but it was still affecting temps. It's now back to 74-75*. Sharing a sump does make it harder to keep things from getting in the tank. I'm sure it's been done many times. Heck, even some stand a lones get issues. Pi think I can do a nice probe in a ac20? Not quite sure, but I might investigate and invest.

I've got the air in the house on. It's only been 75 but it was still affecting temps. It's now back to 74-75*. Sharing a sump does make it harder to keep things from getting in the tank. I'm sure it's been done many times. Heck, even some stand a lones get issues. Pi think I can do a nice probe in a ac20? Not quite sure, but I might investigate and invest.

We don't have AC which is why the chiller is a must, even for the LPS tank. Even here in SW Pennsylvania it gets pretty hot sometimes! Right now my tank is 75 which isn't bad considering its been 80 outside. I did hear the chiller kick on once and I have a fan blowing on the top of the sump.

Nanofreak, sorry but I don't understand, "Pi think I can do a nice probe in a ac20? Did your spell check misfire?

I know with lower temperatures your corals won't grow as fast. I need to research the anemone shrimp relationship.

I know with lower temperatures your corals won't grow as fast. I need to research the anemone shrimp relationship.

I bought the shrimp because I wanted it to pair with a yasha goby I had. I put the shrimp at one end of the tank ( near the goby), with the nem at the other end. 3 days later shrimp and nem were back together and goby was out in the cold.LOL. I like them a lot but I read the nem can eat small fish and that they are related to aiptasia, which was scary to me. They have been model citizens so far.

I have a tiger pistol shrimp that likes to bury some of my most expensive corals when has a goby to pair up with. I thought they separated but it only must have been a misunderstanding because the shrimp is at it again. Out of the 3 tanks I have it is one I enjoy the most when the shrimp behaves I am thinking if I get it an anemone it will stop all this craziness.

I don't know if a nem will help with that. My candy cane shrimp still does lots of digging but he is in a spot that he doesn't create a problem.

I came home from a long weekend at my son and daughter in laws, (which was wonderful)to find Rosey II had relocated. The nem only moved around the other side of the rock but there is less light there for sure. I will have to make sure I target feed the nem. Other than that the tank looked fine, my hubby took good care of it! I'm definitely gonna keep him!

Rosey II must have decided that the grass isn't greener, ( or is it the water isn't bluer) on the other side because the nem went back to its original spot! I am happy to see it in a more lit spot.

Nanofreak79
We don't have AC which is why the chiller is a must, even for the LPS tank. Even here in SW Pennsylvania it gets pretty hot sometimes! Right now my tank is 75 which isn't bad considering its been 80 outside. I did hear the chiller kick on once and I have a fan blowing on the top of the sump.

Nanofreak, sorry but I don't understand, "Pi think I can do a nice probe in a ac20? Did your spell check misfire?

Auto correct issue. I meant the ac20 can accept an ice probe chiller, if need be. Our air has been on and the temps have been steady. I've read these guys can still be happy up to 78* or handle the temps.

Auto correct issue. I meant the ac20 can accept an ice probe chiller, if need be. Our air has been on and the temps have been steady. I've read these guys can still be happy up to 78* or handle the temps.

I guess the dwarfs are more forgiving of temperature, which is good to know if I ever choose to get some. From what I've read the big seahorses are very prone to infections if the temp is over 74 degrees. There are probiotics that I plan to buy to help combat that although my tank is slowing cooling down. I am experimenting with ice bags in the sump, and frozen bottles of water in the in tank pump just to see how I can control temperature.

Very nice! Love your little colony of shrooms at the bottom left. Wish I could get shrooms to take off like that in my tank.

Very nice! Love your little colony of shrooms at the bottom left. Wish I could get shrooms to take off like that in my tank.

I like those shrooms too. They are growing all over a conch shell and the midas blenny loves to go in that shell and just peek his head out among the shrooms - its really cute. From what I saw of your tank you are having good luck getting most of it to take off. Its lovely!

River_styx

I guess the dwarfs are more forgiving of temperature, which is good to know if I ever choose to get some. From what I've read the big seahorses are very prone to infections if the temp is over 74 degrees.

I wouldn't worry unless it goes above 77/78.

Here is a care sheet a Hawaiian breeding facility has for their Reidi seahorses: http://www.seahorse.com/care-sheets/brazileros

You can see that their ideal range is higher than 74. Some large seahorses are cold water species though, so make sure you know what kind of seahorse you want/get is.

It is true higher degrees make seahorses prone to infection though, so a chiller is a good investment.

If you want to look at the care sheets of all their seahorses: http://www.seahorse.com/care-sheets

I personally try to keep my tank at 75.

Archived