SaltCritters.com

Potatowned's 20L - First Tank (Updated. Got some fish finally!)

potatowned

Mr. Microscope

Fun tank! I love all the euphyllia you've got going on. Great looking zoas too. Well done!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
venturalvn

Is the chaeto surviving in the hob filter? Are you supplying it with any other forms of light aside from your main tank's light?

• 1 month later...

How's it going? Any updates on your tank?

Sorry, I've been super busy lately! Traveling a lot for work (which sucks for my tank) but I've done plenty! I upgraded to a WP25, added a JBJ ATO and bought a few fish!

I started with a blue and yellow damsel (since it was cheap) and it did great. I then bought clownfish which has been a disaster. First 3 all came down with Brook, so I set up a QT and bought another one. This one was doing fine until I went on a business trip and came back several days later to find the clown on my floor, all shriveled up. :( I had asked my mom to drop by my place to feed my fish and top off the QT, since I had the ATO in the main tank. She forgot about topping off and the water level dropped below the powerhead, which started to foam and create a bunch of agitation which I think spooked the poor clownfish and he jumped.

I currently have a 6-line wrasse in the QT, which I'll probably move to the DT in a few days. I also added an emerald crab (which does NOT eat bubble algae, much to my dismay) and a really nice fun cleaner shrimp.

My tank is absolutely overrun by the pulsing xenia at this point. It's taken over. I've also added some GSP and a green monti. Not too sure what to do with the xenia... do I just start cutting it? I bought a few SPS at a local aquarium expo here in Socal but they didn't do that great.

I do have some big updates planned! I am moving the tank into another room, so I think I'm going to use this opportunity to add an overflow, sump and skimmer. Still researching sump and stand builds, but I'll probably have something going in the next few weeks.

I'll upload some pictures when I can!

Is the chaeto surviving in the hob filter? Are you supplying it with any other forms of light aside from your main tank's light?

The chaeto was doing OK, but I finally just took it out because it was leaving little bits of chaeto in my DT. It wasn't THRIVING by any means. It seemed to grow only incrementally. When I set up a sump I will probably buy some more to sit in the refugium.

Cleaner shrimp. Very fun to watch! He always chases the food around just like the fish whenever it's feeding time.

tNTeeRc.jpg

Blue and yellow damsel. Kind of an ass. He constantly steals the silverfish from the RBTA, even though he doesn't eat the silverfish.

V9NixAm.jpg

Six-line wrasse. The damsel used to pick on him, but now I think he picks on the damsel. He's always zipping around the tank. It was tough getting a decent picture.

KRXEygT.jpg

Here is a montipora? I picked up at a local reefing expo. When I first got it, it was this hard and white. It recently started growing these polyps!

JNBnGLG.jpg

Florida ricordea I bought from a local guy. It now has 3 mouths and is getting pretty big!

rjcGa8Q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived