Coral Vue Hydros

8g Reef Islands

Sandeep

• 1 month later...

Latest updated photos of the tank. I have a new inhabitant, a Crocea clam!

The crocea is the most challenging of the decorative clams, but it's a real beauty and among the smallest of the giant clams, rarely exceeding 5" in captivity. It has the highest light requirements of any clam. Mine is about 2" which is near the transition of it being able to sustain itself through photosynthesis vs needing constant feeding. I'll feed it twice a week, hopefully that will be enough.

pico8g_20140602_1.jpg

pico8g_20140602_2.jpg

pico8g_20140602_3.jpg

pico8g_20140602_4.jpg

Cameron6796

From what I've been told croceas as long as they have enough light are easier then Maximas also feeding them may not even help they will just ingest dissolved solids before they digest any solid food. Don't directly feed if your going to it will "choke" your clam

It's at about 2" to 3" that clams are large enough to survive on photosynthesis alone without needing to feed them. With smaller clams, they will slowly die of starvation if you don't feed them.

As my clam is in the middle of that size range, not sure if he can survive without phyto being added to the tank for him, so I will feed the tank twice a week for now and see how it goes.

Cameron6796

Its debatable whether photo is even useful, dissections have shown its usually not even digested they thrive more on tridents we are told not to have in our water. Talk to zeph he knows more but my understanding is clams love fish poop and other dissolved organics and not really into solids as much. Phyto won't hurt I guess unless you spot feed your clam it will look like its opening and closing like its "eating " it but that's it trying to expel it from within since its "choking" so to speak.

But yeah they are Definitely finicky when small with low survival rates but are possible. Got any pics of the tank i really love this one.

• 4 months later...

Nice! How did I just now find this thread?! Lol. Now you have me thinking of changing my rock scape since I haven't stuck corals to anything yet.

I was a bit worried if the crocea clam would make it or not. This will be his 6th month so hopefully he's getting enough nutrients from the water and photosynthesis and not starving to death. I'm feeding the tank Kent Microvert twice a week. He looks pretty good so far, hoping he makes it, just a real beauty that I enjoy having in the tank.

Go for it get creative with coral islands instead of the typical one continuous rock wall look that most tank have. Also attach corals on vertical surfaces, not just horizontal ones.

Nice! How did I just now find this thread?! Lol. Now you have me thinking of changing my rock scape since I haven't stuck corals to anything yet.

Go for it get creative with coral islands instead of the typical one continuous rock wall look that most tank have. Also attach corals on vertical surfaces, not just horizontal ones.
Please continue to preach your a genius

My thinking exactly

Archived