Pod Your Reef

Diy led for rsm 250 w/ cree lumia 5.2

Timmydatoolman

Timmydatoolman

I want to building my own LED conversion for my Red Sea max 250.

The tank is 36" long 16.5" deep and 21" deep. I plan on setting everything into the stock hood so the diodes will sit 2" above the water.

This is my proposed shopping list:

1x coralux 5up ldd driver board

1x storm led controller

2 x cree lumia 5.2 - 70w full spectrum 5 channel cree led ( is this enough light, Will this cover the width and depth of the tank, do I need optics?)

5x meanwell ldd-700h led driver ( is this the right product for the lumia 5.2)

33" heatsink 5.886 inch

1x 180w-48v-3-75a-dc-power-supply ( is this enough power?)

1x arctic silver céramique 2 - 25g

Because the controller has six channels, I am considering using a separate LED array for moonlighting, is this necessary or can I just use one of the channels on the Lumina?

Thanks for your input.

jedimasterben

All looks good to me.

The Lumia has too many LEDs per channel to use as moonlights. If you had the Storm X it would be ok, as you'd have 4096 levels of dimming instead of 255 like the Storm (or 100 like every other controller).

Timmydatoolman

Thanks, so I should upgrade to the storm x for better dimming, but even if I do that should I look at an alternate channel for moon lighting, that way I'm not running the lumia 24 x 7?

jedimasterben

The LEDs don't care how they're run as long as they don't get too hot. Their L70 ratings are done as theoretical with running them 24/7 at their maximum Tj temperature, and running at even 30/4096 on a 1000mA driver is a whopping 7mA. I'm not sure if they'd even strike at that point lol

• 2 weeks later...
Timmydatoolman
?.... I'm not sure if they'd even strike at that point lol

Got mine hookred up, the will strike at about 10/4096 :)

wow, I love the setup haven't had it past 25% yet, and I'm impressed with the amount of light it throws. Now I need to work out the cooling which is where my question comes in, how hot is too hot? At 25% I had a gain of about 20 deg f with no fans, I remember hearing the should not get over 109f , befor I wreck a lumina thought I would ask.

Thanks for your help.

jedimasterben

The Cree LEDs are all binned at 85C, and the turquoise and HV are probably binned at 25C but their thermal limit will be around 85-90C probably, maybe higher.

Keep your heatsink at least 10C cooler than the point you want to keep your LEDs, that should give a good margin to work with. But remember, LEDs emit more light and last a lot longer the cooler they are, so I would have your fan kick on when the LEDs start their ramp and have it immediately bump up to as fast as it can spin while still being quiet enough for you. I run all my fans at 100% the entire time the LEDs are on, but I also use very quiet fans in rooms that are already 60dBa or so.

Just to simplify for this who think in fahrenheit 75C=167F

Keeping a heatsink from reaching that is pretty darn easy.

Because heat travels from warm objects to cold objects so keep your heatsink cool and it will help keep the leds cool.

That said the business end of the led can and well burn you if touched regardless of heatsink capacity. Ask me how i know.

Timmydatoolman

Thanks for all the help, I just installed my retrofit today and it works and looks great! I couldn't have done it without the help from both of you.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Thanks for all the help, I just installed my retrofit today and it works and looks great! I couldn't have done it without the help from both of you.

Pics or it didnt happen!

• 2 weeks later...

So this is the exact build I was looking to do on my RSM 250.. I have LEDs in there now and very unhappy with them. Not to mention they are pretty old. Anycase... Few questions. How hard was it to solder this stuff? Also do you think you get enough coverage? I was told a few different things about this set up for this tank. Was told to get one 5.2 then get 6 3_UP leds. Put the 5.2 in the middle then stick 3 3_ups on each end.

I will be doing the same as you did just using my existing hood. Did you scrap the moonlights on the stock hood? Do you use the 5.2's for moon lights?

Sorry for the million questions I am ready to pull the trigger on this stuff just want to get the right stuff this go round. I have a mix of LPS/SPS as well as a few fish. Looking for great color and coral growth. Appreciate any help thanks...

Timmydatoolman
So this is the exact build I was looking to do on my RSM 250.. I have LEDs in there now and very unhappy with them. Not to mention they are pretty old. Anycase... Few questions. How hard was it to solder this stuff? Also do you think you get enough coverage? I was told a few different things about this set up for this tank. Was told to get one 5.2 then get 6 3_UP leds. Put the 5.2 in the middle then stick 3 3_ups on each end.

I will be doing the same as you did just using my existing hood. Did you scrap the moonlights on the stock hood? Do you use the 5.2's for moon lights?

Sorry for the million questions I am ready to pull the trigger on this stuff just want to get the right stuff this go round. I have a mix of LPS/SPS as well as a few fish. Looking for great color and coral growth. Appreciate any help thanks...

Coverage seems good to me, the back corners are a bit dimmer, great place for the racodias!

I will try to get some pics up tomorrow, it might help you decide.

I scrapped everything in the hood except for the led drivers, I'm using them to power my fans. So yes i am using the 5.2 for moonlight.

Right now I'm running the lights at 35%, week 3 of acclimation, so I can't say how it will affect growth but everything seems happy.

I love the color, and it's easy enough to blend. I like it more blue so I'm just running a bit mor attinic.

Let me know if you have more questions

Thanks!!! I just placed my order last night. Almost same set up as you. I already had the heatsink so going to re use that. Anything I should know about the install? Any tricks for getting everything up and running and in the hood? Did you glue the LEDs down? Where did you use the arctic silver céramique? Thanks again for the help.

Timmydatoolman

I screwed the LEDs down, no tricks it was pretty straight forward. I probably owed too much Arctic silver I did multiple dots across the back of the led, and I had a lot come out the edges when I tightened the LEDs down.

Ok good to know. Hopefully mine goes smooth as well. Can't be dark for to long so hopefully can get this banged out in a few hours..

I screwed the LEDs down, no tricks it was pretty straight forward. I probably owed too much Arctic silver I did multiple dots across the back of the led, and I had a lot come out the edges when I tightened the LEDs down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Timmydatoolman
how are you liking the setup?

Love it! I started ramping up slow, I stoped at 40% all the corals seem very happy, couldn't be happier with the output of the lumias. I'm glad I used a 33" heatsink , I was able to get away with 4 silex cooling fans, it's almost completely silent and the temps stay under 80 deg.

Can't wait to convert my 130 :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Gonna bring this back to life with a question:

If a single Lumia 5.2 is running 2 channels at 1.0A, and 3 channels at .700mA, this is a total of 4.1A

The power supply you have listed in your first post is putting out 3.75A per lead.

I'm curious how you wired this to the LDD board to supply the needed 4.1A (if running all the drivers at max amperage), for one puck.

Archived