Cultivated Reef

Merth's 3g Grass-covered hills

Merthynia

So I took my yellow clown goby back in after he munched on my sps. I had decided not to get anything until they could get green banded gobies, but I happened to go to the other LFS in town and found a tiny Picasso clown that was SO cute. He is less than an inch long and his pattern is adorable.

20979628712_b935b08f3c_k.jpg

20366852164_86bba8b9bd_k.jpg

I also cleaned a lot more of the hair algae out. It looks like I'm getting on top of it again since my vacation. The snails and manual removal are slowly but surely cleaning it all out. Forgive the upset coral, I did a 2.5 gal water change and pulled as much algae off as I could.

20979627642_4851e01662_k.jpg

• Like 3

Okay, back from my school break. This tank was HORRIBLE when I got home. Tons of algae, some cyano. I've cleaned a good portion of it up, did a gigantic water change yesterday and stirred up a little sand. I went ahead and got two more snails since my hermit seems to have eaten one of them. The yellow clown goby survived the break, but I will be taking him back to the LFS this weekend probably. It just isn't the fish I want for this tank. He is great though, eats flakes and frozen like a champ! The ghetto rig ATO that I put together worked enough that nothing died, but it wasn't enough to keep up totally with the evaporation. The bigger problem is that my storm controller has nothing on the display anymore. I cannot adjust it, and it is not ramping up or down for my light cycle. I have a feeling that it was on the dimmest setting for most of my break since that is how I returned to it as. I'm not even sure anything can be done about it. :(

Please forgive the algae, I am still working on getting it all removed. It was like a jungle in there. This was also during feeding, so random specks floating around.

20885209485_25fcf7c8d0_k.jpg

20698565519_57f4744123_k.jpg

I also forgot to mention I brought home tons of new frags from my brother's tank. Some of them are my frags that he has been holding onto for me, but some of them are ones that I bought from him to help finance his move next week.

Did you bring a kitty back with you?

The new clown is a cutie :).

• Like 1

Did you bring a kitty back with you?

The new clown is a cutie :).

I didn't get to bring either back with me. But it was really nice to see them after a few months. I took hundreds of pictures of them and snuggled them every day while I was there! :happy:

I agree about the clown, he wasn't what I originally had in mind, but he is cute and won't eat any corals! Plus, he should stay small enough that I won't have to worry about him until I move!!

• Like 2

I didn't get to bring either back with me. But it was really nice to see them after a few months. I took hundreds of pictures of them and snuggled them every day while I was there! :happy:

I agree about the clown, he wasn't what I originally had in mind, but he is cute and won't eat any corals! Plus, he should stay small enough that I won't have to worry about him until I move!!

Every reef needs a clownfish in my opinion :).

I like your new avatar :wub:.

• Like 1

Every reef needs a clownfish in my opinion :).

I like your new avatar :wub:.

I am picky with my clownfish, I don't like the plain ones much. This one was adorable! My other two clowns that my brother are watching for me are dominos.

:blush: Thanks! I was goofing around earlier and took the picture, it looks slightly odd in the avatar frame though. The original looks better!

• Like 1

The tank doesn't really look bad at all in the picture, and I love the cat in the box. Yay for the new clown fish!

Email Dave at Nanobox, he can get you in touch with Ben from Coralux. He was very helpful when I spilled skimmate on mine :)

• Like 1

I love Nemos :) They both fed off my hand and are very friendly, but they'd run off if a stranger were to come up to the tank. Only thing i hate about them is stealing foods off the corals.

• Like 1

The tank doesn't really look bad at all in the picture, and I love the cat in the box. Yay for the new clown fish!

Email Dave at Nanobox, he can get you in touch with Ben from Coralux. He was very helpful when I spilled skimmate on mine :)

Ben is shipping me a new screen to replace mine. It is still functioning correctly, but the screen isn't working. Both Dave and Ben are top notch when it comes to customer service! I can't say enough about them! I'll have to take another set of pictures tomorrow when everything opens back up. :) How do you deal with hair algae in small tanks such as yours?

i love the clown! mine was that size when i got him...then he got fat real fast but my other onyx clown has stayed tiny. weird.

Haha, I hope mine doesn't get fat too quickly! He is the perfect size right now. :wub:

I love Nemos :) They both fed off my hand and are very friendly, but they'd run off if a stranger were to come up to the tank. Only thing i hate about them is stealing foods off the corals.

I'm hoping I can feed him well enough when I need to feed my corals that he will be content with the floating food! I haven't ever had one that would eat out of my hand. Thats pretty awesome!

• Like 2

Ben is shipping me a new screen to replace mine. It is still functioning correctly, but the screen isn't working. Both Dave and Ben are top notch when it comes to customer service! I can't say enough about them! I'll have to take another set of pictures tomorrow when everything opens back up. :) How do you deal with hair algae in small tanks such as yours?

Haha, I hope mine doesn't get fat too quickly! He is the perfect size right now. :wub:

I'm hoping I can feed him well enough when I need to feed my corals that he will be content with the floating food! I haven't ever had one that would eat out of my hand. Thats pretty awesome!

You'd have to train him first, just get him to swim up to the surface and then drop the food, do that every day at approx the same time, and eventually he'll know when you come up to him he'll swim up and get all excited on his own. When you noticed he is doing that, try feeding him with your hand in the water holding the food, he should not hesitate to come to you. It's really cool, now I can just reach in and pet both of them on their heads :) You can do this!

• Like 1

You can do it but you have to train him, just get him to swim up to the surface and then drop the food, do that every day at approx the same time, and eventually he'll know when you come up to him he'll swim up and get all excited on his own. When you noticed he is doing that, try feeding him with your hand in the water holding the food, he should not hesitate to come to you. It's really cool, now I can just reach in and pet both of them on their heads :)

I will certainly have to give this a try! My only fish that was legitimately happy to see me was my long nosed hawkfish. He would follow me around and if I was sitting by the tank he would perch beside me and just watch me. Or if I watched tv, he would perch in the corner closest to the tv and watch the shows with me.

• Like 1

I will certainly have to give this a try! My only fish that was legitimately happy to see me was my long nosed hawkfish. He would follow me around and if I was sitting by the tank he would perch beside me and just watch me. Or if I watched tv, he would perch in the corner closest to the tv and watch the shows with me.

good luck! you'd have to be careful with them clowns though, they bite, I actually got bit and can feel their teeth clawed into my skin...didn't make a scratch but it sure does sting a bit...lol

• Like 1

good luck! you'd have to be careful with them clowns though, they bite, I actually got bit and can feel their teeth clawed into my skin...didn't make a scratch but it sure does sting a bit...lol

<_< Yeah my brothers clown bit me in the tender little flesh between my fingers. That shit sucks!

• Like 2

My clowns attack my hand every time I stick it in the tank. I've gotten used to it but it's not the greatest feeling in the world, especially when they get hold of a tender spot!

Yep, Dave and Ben are the best!

I've never really dealt with hair algae in either of my small tanks since they finished the ugly new tank syndrome phase. Although I've notice some new algae growth in my 4g tank over the past month. I'm not sure if it's because I'm feeding more, or because I removed the sexy shrimp in my attempts to fix my sad zoas. I think it's time to bring the sexies back home :)

• Like 2

My clowns attack my hand every time I stick it in the tank. I've gotten used to it but it's not the greatest feeling in the world, especially when they get hold of a tender spot!

Yep, Dave and Ben are the best!

I've never really dealt with hair algae in either of my small tanks since they finished the ugly new tank syndrome phase. Although I've notice some new algae growth in my 4g tank over the past month. I'm not sure if it's because I'm feeding more, or because I removed the sexy shrimp in my attempts to fix my sad zoas. I think it's time to bring the sexies back home :)

I didn't have any prior to my 2 week vacation. It all sprouted up while I was gone. I'll just continue on pulling it out and letting the snails and emerald crab do their thing. It seems to be on the downhill slope.

You got him!! So cute! Did you name him/her yet??

I haven't named him yet. I've been watching him to see what kind of a personality he has though. :)

• Like 2

It was feeding time and the lights were going down, so I snapped a few less than perfect pictures. But just want to document some of the coral in here.

20858670078_03397ceac9_k.jpg

20858464040_73091b1c94_k.jpg

20858466230_37c917a9f5_k.jpg

20425530893_4354de7db6_k.jpg

Tiny ironman mushroom that is slowly making a comeback. It used to be huge.

21070677251_cd03856f59_k.jpg

21070675011_d5ca09bd85_k.jpg

20441976323_3e46323116_k.jpg

20440405144_4b58cf59af_k.jpg

• Like 3

It was feeding time and the lights were going down, so I snapped a few less than perfect pictures. But just want to document some of the coral in here.

20858670078_03397ceac9_k.jpg

20858464040_73091b1c94_k.jpg

20858466230_37c917a9f5_k.jpg

20425530893_4354de7db6_k.jpg

Tiny ironman mushroom that is slowly making a comeback. It used to be huge.

21070677251_cd03856f59_k.jpg

21070675011_d5ca09bd85_k.jpg

20441976323_3e46323116_k.jpg

20440405144_4b58cf59af_k.jpg

Looking great darlin.
  • Like 1