Top Shelf Aquatics

Merth's 3g Grass-covered hills

Merthynia

Bummer Merth, so sorry to hear about the losses :(

I'm sure the move caused stress with temp swings and altitude changes, but i've found that corals usually end up fine after those changes. Sounds like the water source for sure. Wait till you're settled into your apartment and start rebuilding!

Thats the plan at the moment. Hopefully everything is stable until then.

• Like 1

Thanks Teeny. I got to thinking about it last night. It is probably the RODI water. I know it should be as pure as possible, but when you get it from LFS, you get what you get. I switched from one source to another overnight. Maybe the water I'm using currently has something in it, or is lacking something that was helping them flourish out there. :( I don't know other than the stress of moving itself.

I know what you mean - it's so nice to have my own RODI setup, not because it's necessarily any better than the LFS, but at least I know for sure what I've got when things go wrong. It's so frustrating when you can't identify the source of the problem.

• Like 1

Well, almost all of the sps is dead now, many of the zoas have melted between both of the tanks. :tears: Large water changes haven't made much of a difference. Parameters are all within normal limits. It is really frustrating to watch these frags die and not be able to do anything about it. It looks like I probably won't get to move into an apartment until middle of next month, this will be another fairly long distance to move everything and probably more die-off. The only coral that seem to be doing well are the lps and the mushrooms.

OH NO! I'm sorry, Merth :(

• Like 1

I know what you mean - it's so nice to have my own RODI setup, not because it's necessarily any better than the LFS, but at least I know for sure what I've got when things go wrong. It's so frustrating when you can't identify the source of the problem.

Yeah. It's at the top of my list once I have money again. It's really stressful not working/no money. I'm sure I'll need lots of help to figure out how to get it all set up correctly.

OH NO! I'm sorry, Merth :(

Thanks Stella :( I hope things turn around.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Well, almost all of the sps is dead now, many of the zoas have melted between both of the tanks. :tears: Large water changes haven't made much of a difference. Parameters are all within normal limits. It is really frustrating to watch these frags die and not be able to do anything about it. It looks like I probably won't get to move into an apartment until middle of next month, this will be another fairly long distance to move everything and probably more die-off. The only coral that seem to be doing well are the lps and the mushrooms.

Sorry to hear this, seems we are both in a bad way with our tanks but for different reasons. Try to stay positive.............I should take my own advice ?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this, seems we are both in a bad way with our tanks but for different reasons. Try to stay positive.............I should take my own advice

Yeah, I've been following your problems as you've posted them. It's hard to be positive as you watch so many of them die, but you're right. I'm doing as much as I can right now and will have to rebuild when I'm stable again! Hopefully both of our tanks turn around! :)

• Like 2

How're things doing in your tanks this week? fingerscrossed

Haha, the tanks are in need of some deep cleaning. They got a little neglected over the past week since I was studying for my second boards. But I PASSED! This means only one left to go! But I can relax a bit since I am now officially a registered sonographer! I'll have to scrub the tanks down tonight or tomorrow to celebrate!

• Like 5

Haha, the tanks are in need of some deep cleaning. They got a little neglected over the past week since I was studying for my second boards. But I PASSED! This means only one left to go! But I can relax a bit since I am now officially a registered sonographer! I'll have to scrub the tanks down tonight or tomorrow to celebrate!

Or really celebrate and pay your little bro to scrub them down for ya ;)

Congrats again!

• 2 months later...

Well I'm not dead. I've just done a lot in the past couple months! I moved twice already this year, most recently just this past week. I got my tanks all set back up but everything is still very upset.

27910605283_a3623a6849_k.jpg

Here is the 3g prior to the last move!

28448678301_c13da74d19_k.jpg

This was my home for the past 2 months. Although it could have been much worse, I'm SO glad to be back in an apartment!

28448679091_0e055870c4_k.jpg

One of the first things I needed to pick up was a shower rod and curtain. I got a curved shower rod (which is amazing), and spotted this curtain. My dad laughed and would not allow me to consider any other curtain. :lol: My parents are awesome.

I am very excited about my kitchen, it is very spacious, open, and clean. I love cooking and I'm really looking forwards to making all kinds of goodies in it. It's been a long time since I've had enough motivation to create a bento, but I thought tonight was the perfect opportunity. 28242840170_99eba11172_k.jpg

Bunny themed because why not? :D

• Like 4

27937941073_e06ee071d2_k.jpg

Quick picture when I saw both of the GBGs out (only got one in the picture).

27936292634_3bebede637_k.jpg

:happy:

27936292654_904b381255_k.jpg

Found this guy with a ton of saltwater fish yard things. I'm in love with them. There were a ton of options, I'm not sure if anyone else would like one but I could ship them out if interested. I think I'm going to get the black and white damsel in the picture along with a royal gramma.

• Like 3

Oh yeah! I'm so glad you're not dead and you're posting again :lol:

Those bento bowls make me happy, and so does the shower curtain and the little fish sail. And for pissed off zoas, those guys look really good :)

• Like 2

Oh yeah! I'm so glad you're not dead and you're posting again :lol:

Those bento bowls make me happy, and so does the shower curtain and the little fish sail. And for pissed off zoas, those guys look really good :)

Lol, I'm glad I'm not dead either! :lol:

The zoas are throwing tantrums. Half are open, then the other half. Some of them certainly look way better than others, I'm hoping to discover that I didn't lose as many as I fear. I was starting to feed the tank last night when I took that picture, the increased nutrients should help them recover. :unsure: Hopefully

• Like 1

They should be fine. Zoas are pretty tough when it comes to getting moved or abused. It's all the little invisible unexplainable things that seem to take them out.

• Like 1

Glad you're back! Sorry to hear about all the die off :( Hopefully things will start to improve. And like teeny says, the zoas should come back

• Like 1

They should be fine. Zoas are pretty tough when it comes to getting moved or abused. It's all the little invisible unexplainable things that seem to take them out.

Yeah, they are looking better each day. I'm going to have to post up a picture of my favorite colony and see if anyone can find a frag of it. It appears that they are all gone. Hopefully someone will recognize them. I wish they wouldn't melt from unknown things!

Glad you're back! Sorry to hear about all the die off :( Hopefully things will start to improve. And like teeny says, the zoas should come back

Heya Yoshii! I'm glad to be back, and excited about your upgrade! Looks like a majority of the zoas are still there, but a few prize ones are missing from what I can tell.

• Like 1

28072421023_7e50200b41_k.jpg

You can see all three fish in this shot. Plus some cyano, I've never had black cyano before. Just siphoning it out at the moment and waterchanges. If you look closely, I also have several heads of my favorite zoa that came back from the great beyond! :D

28071279034_efb6bce489_k.jpg

Here is a picture of Styx. She has been my shadow all afternoon. :wub:

This week I'm hoping to restock on snails, an emerald crab, and possibly a coral or two if I find something I like. Gotta take advantage of being near a LFS. :happy:

• Like 5

Cute kitty!

Took me a minute, but I found all three fish! What's your favorite zoa?

If you can, increased flow helps knock the cyano off the rock

• Like 1

Tank looks really good for having to move! I also moved pretty far not too long ago, had some losses too so I feel you there. My new apt has a curved shower curtain rod and they really are amazing :lol:

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

28072421023_7e50200b41_k.jpg

You can see all three fish in this shot. Plus some cyano, I've never had black cyano before. Just siphoning it out at the moment and waterchanges. If you look closely, I also have several heads of my favorite zoa that came back from the great beyond! :D

28071279034_efb6bce489_k.jpg

Here is a picture of Styx. She has been my shadow all afternoon. :wub:

This week I'm hoping to restock on snails, an emerald crab, and possibly a coral or two if I find something I like. Gotta take advantage of being near a LFS. :happy:

Are you sure your tank crashed....

• Like 1

Cute kitty!

I'll bump up the flow on the AC 70 a little bit and see if that helps! :) I'll try and get a good picture of my favorite zoas. They are the ones to the right/above of that red mushroom. They have green mouths.

Tank looks really good for having to move! I also moved pretty far not too long ago, had some losses too so I feel you there. My new apt has a curved shower curtain rod and they really are amazing :lol:

Thanks! I really do not want to move any tank again anytime soon! Too stressful and it is disappointing to have the deaths. I really would recommend the curved shower rods to people, it doesn't seem like it would make much difference, but it does! :lol:

Are you sure your tank crashed....

I wouldn't say it crashed, I just had a lot of death between the two moves that it made this year. There are some zoas that melted and didn't come back. Lots of the zoas and mushrooms aren't nearly as big/full as they were prior to the moves either.

Yay for zoa resurrection day! That tank looks great!

Thanks Teeny! It has a long way to go, but it certainly looks WAY better than it did while it was at my parent's house!

Everything is looking awesome, glad your situated again and all is well.

Thank you Hotwater! :D It is nice to have the tank in a somewhat stable situation again.

• Like 1

Cute kitty!

28488376060_dcc905bb25_k.jpg

Sorry for the slow reply on the picture. I got sent out of town for work for the past few days. Here is a pretty good picture of what they looked like. There were a lot more heads than what is pictured in this photo prior to them getting pox? Or whatever they had.

• Like 2