Coral Vue Hydros

JC's 10gal Standard Nano Reef

jc2014

Hello N-R!

I'm a new, aspiring reef keeper who has been doing about 6 months of research. This will be my first nano reef tank. I plan to only keep beginner level coral in this tank, as I want to increase my chances of success. Following "The Nano-Reef Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Reef Systems Under 15 Gallons" by Christopher Brightwell, I'll do my best to not overstock, overfeed, and overcrowd this tank. I am a fairly patient person, but time will tell...

So here are my plans so far.

Tank
Tetra 10 Gallon Glass Aquarium Petco $10.84
All Glass Aquarium AAG29020 Versa Top, 20-Inch (20.8" x 1.3" x 4.1") Amazon $12.71
5 Frag Rack badfishreefsystems $9.00+shipping
Lighting
Finnex FugeRay Marine+ Aquarium LED Light Amazon $74.14
Pumps/Flow/Filtration
Hydor Koralia Nano 240 (may need a second for a backup) Amazon $23.66
AquaClear 20 Power Filter Amazon $29.93
AquaClear 50 Surface Skimmer Box badfishreefsystems $15.00+shipping
AquaClear 20 Media Basket (Acrylic inTank LLC mod) mediabaskets.com $35.99 (tentative)
Heater
Aqueon 06105 Pro Heaters Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt Amazon $19.81
Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 50-Watt (high end/backup) Amazon $34.43
Live Rock & Sand (mostly dry rock to be seeded with live rubble)
Carib Sea South Sea Base Rock Bag 10LB 1CS Amazon $23.86
Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand Petco $19.55
Mixed Reef Live Rock Rubble & Sand 2 lbs ($0.99/lb Sale) - seeding material Incredible Corals $2.10
Maintenance
Python Pro Clean-Mini 1" x 6" Tube with 6 ft. Hose Amazon $7.30
TOM Aquarium Maintenance Algae Scraper Multi Tool 22 Length Amazon $10.59
SODIAL Digital LCD Fish Aquarium Marine Vivarium Thermometer Amazon $4.28
Aquaclear 20-Gallon Foam Inserts, 3-Pack Amazon 1 $5.89
Aquaclear Activated Carbon Insert, 20-Gallon Aquariums, 3-Pack Amazon 2 $18.28
Mag-Float Glass Aquarium Cleaner, Small Amazon $7.99 (tentative)
Fluval Fine Filter Water Polishing Pad - 6-Pack Amazon $5.39
Test Kits
API Saltwater Master Test Kit Amazon $17.99
API Phosphate Test Kit Amazon $8.47
API Calcium Test Kit Amazon $7.41
API KH Carbonate Hardness Test Kit Amazon $6.71
Power Backup (maybe)
APC BE350G UPS System Amazon $42.99 (tentative)
I haven't gotten everything yet, but some of my shipments have started arriving. I want to take my time with this hobby, so as the tank is cycling, I'll figure out what I'm going to put in there.
Here's what I have so far.
post-83200-0-94113300-1390515911_thumb.jpg
post-83200-0-44293700-1390515923_thumb.jpg
I think my Finnex FugeRay Marine+ Aquarium fixture and my Koralia Nano are arriving today. It's like Christmas all over again!
The plan is to add the rocks, sand, and water (premixed RO/DI saltwater of course) in the next 2 weeks.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received a box of dry rocks today. I played around with them on the dinner table for an hour, and then I just plopped them in the tank for some photos.

post-83200-0-86268400-1390971834_thumb.jpg

post-83200-0-64581900-1390971835_thumb.jpg

post-83200-0-34661500-1390971836_thumb.jpg

There is a lot of dust, so I'll need to give them a bath. Sand and water are next I guess...

This Superbowl/Lunar New Year Weekend, I added the sand and water to my tank.

I purchased two 5 gallon water jugs from http://emergencyessentials.com and also a 5 gallon bucket from Lowes. Then I went to my local coral/fish store, http://incrediblecorals.com and bought 10 gallons of premixed RO/DI and 5 gallons of fresh RO/DI. Wow, 10 gallons of water is heavy! Hey if this hobby gets me some exercise, that's a plus! I see more farmer's walks in my future.

I got home, rinsed my rocks in the fresh RO/DI to remove as much dust and sediment as possible. Then I set up the rocks, added my sand, and started a nice slow siphon to fill 'er up.

post-83200-0-30487200-1391410130_thumb.jpg

Approximately 7.5 gallons later, my tank was filled.

I didn't rinse my sand beforehand. Hence I have a nice cloudy tank full of new sand dust.

post-83200-0-04999000-1391410132_thumb.jpg

Some foamy bubbles rose up to the top of the water. I just let them sit overnight while the tank heated up to 78 degrees Fahrenheit. The next morning I removed the surface foam with plastic carry-out spoon and a small pail to thwack the foam into. Overnight, I ran the filter and the koralia nano.

I jumped on a $34.43 deal on Amazon for the other heater I wanted. It is the Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 50W heater. It is a neat wide, yet slim design. One of the cool features is that it shows your current tank temperature and your set desired temperature. So no need to have a separate thermometer.

post-83200-0-22191600-1391410133_thumb.jpg

So about 24 hours later, the tank is clearer, but not exactly crystal. I expect it will take more time anyways.

post-83200-0-40741600-1391410134_thumb.jpg

The plan now is to just let the dry rock, now wet, enjoy their salt bath for a while. I would like to test the water in a week or so. Then in another weeks time, I will pick up 2 lbs of live rubble and sand from Incredible Corals (http://incrediblecorals.com) to further seed the tank.

I apologize for the crappy iPhone photos, but there really isn't anything pretty to show. I will use my bigger camera when appropriate.

I am a new reefer too! Just started up my 20g. My setup is very similar to yours. Any reason why you didn't go for a bigger HOB? I have a AC70 on mine. I'll be using it for media but also as a refugium.

So my knowledge on reef tanks is pretty limited, being that I am new, so take all this with a grain of salt.

I've read that glass tops on aquariums are a no-no, since glass absorbs quite a bit of the necessary light. Acrylic is better, or just go open top. Surface agitation and the open top will promote oxygen exchange? Something like that.

Hi potatowned,

Looking back, maybe I should have gotten a bigger HOB like your AC70. I think I just went with the AC20 because I wasn't planning to do a refugium and I wanted something compact. I do like the sound of growing some chaetomorpha to aid in nutrient export. Those inTank acrylic cages from http://www.mediabaskets.com are tempting me. What ReeVo did here is also pretty cool (http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/316276-single-cree-led-aquaclear-fuge-mod/).

Regarding the glass top, its not a completely sealed top, as I have a 1-2 inch gap in the back. Here are my thoughts. I want to reduce evaporation so that I don't have to top off the tank so much, and I want to reduce chances of losing livestock through jumpers. You might be right about light being absorbed, but we'll see how it goes. If things don't work out, I can easily switch to acrylic as you've suggested or go topless.

Wow your tank is looking good! Nice lights! Kudos!

Wondering how the finnex light is working out. I have the ray2 on a freshwater planted tank and love it.

I'm very new to saltwater myself and still in research mode. But considering the fugeray for my Evolve 8 I want to setup.

Can you separate the blue from the white lights on separate timers? Or are they just on deepest switches?

Wondering how the finnex light is working out. I have the ray2 on a freshwater planted tank and love it.

I'm very new to saltwater myself and still in research mode. But considering the fugeray for my Evolve 8 I want to setup.

Can you separate the blue from the white lights on separate timers? Or are they just on deepest switches?

Unfortunately I can only provide a little feedback as my tank is barely even started.

Here are my thoughts.

I was also considering the Finnex Ray2 Aquarium Day/Actinic LED Light as it is the stronger of the two, but being that I am a beginner, I chose to go with the FugeRay as it's more suited for my beginner corals. If you do get a FugeRay make sure you get the right one for the application as there are 3 different kinds. Lastly, With the Ray2 having high output LEDs, I was afraid of having too much light, which probably could be remedied by raising the fixture higher over the tank, but I plan to just sit the fixture on top of the tank. Here is some PAR data (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189944).

There are two switches on the fixture, one on the left, and one on the right. One switch is for the daylight, and the other is for the actinic. Unfortunately there is only one two prong plug. I plan to run my lights with both switches on for 8-10 hours a day with a basic house timer.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. Like a said I'm still in research more. But for the price the light seems like a good deal. I'm with you on the high light though. This will be my first saltwater tank so I might stick with the fugeray myself. The ray2 I have now it's the planned tank version and has no actinic lighting. Thanks again. Keep us updated..

Thanks for the info. Like a said I'm still in research more. But for the price the light seems like a good deal. I'm with you on the high light though. This will be my first saltwater tank so I might stick with the fugeray myself. The ray2 I have now it's the planned tank version and has no actinic lighting. Thanks again. Keep us updated..

I myself am still doing continual research, and while researching lighting and reading about PAR data, I have fears of not having enough light now, haha. One of my experienced friends stated lights are not to be skimped on, but he has a much bigger tank, definitely not a nano, maybe not even micro size.

There is an interesting debate going on regarding the cheaper yet categorized as high-end "Chinese LED fixtures". There is one in particular that I may get later, if I am successful at this hobby. It is the the EverGrow IT2040. It's actually a light that is re-branded and sold by a number of different US companies (Ocean Revive, Taotronics,...). It's a really cool fixture that can be programmed for a complete day-night light cycle. I want one even though I would probably have it dialed down quite a bit for my small 10 gallon beginner coral tank. This hobby keeps evolving, and with it does the equipment. Someone on DC's craigslist is selling one for $250. It's tempting me.

For that price I would get a AI nano or a nanobox. So do you regret getting the rugeray?

It's more just a concern. It's hard to say since I have no livestock yet. I'm still seeding my tank. Again my plans for this tank are beginner in nature, so I'm not going anything higher than easy to care for LPS. I am restricting myself to mushrooms, zoas, and leather corals first. If the tank setup isn't good enough for them, then yes, I'll have some regret. But if you don't have any regret in your life, then you haven't lived right? :rolleyes:

For the past week, I've just been stirring my sand here and there, creating a cloudy mess, waiting a day to let it clear, and then rinsing out filter foam media and adding floss to increase the filtration a bit more. So far so good.

Today, I received all of my API test kits. I may get something for magnesium later, but maybe I wont need it. Those Red Sea kits are nicer, I definitely don't like all the capping and uncapping that is required for the API tests, plus there is dribble from the caps if you don't hold them on tight when shaking.

post-83200-0-50943600-1391836294_thumb.jpg

Like various other members, I'm going to use aquaticlog.com to track my test results.

post-83200-0-29497600-1391836165_thumb.png

So I think I'm ready to add the live rubble that I bought, but I have to go pick it up.

I will add it to the tank and then cycle the tank. From the looks of it, It hasn't even started. I guess the sand I bought wasn't really alive. I did receive it on a day when it was bitter cold outside (15 deg F).

Ok so I picked out some interesting pieces of dead coral and live rubble from the store.

Here's what my tank looks like now.

post-83200-0-18998900-1391999559_thumb.jpg

So the first sign of life that I recognized was this little munnid isopod. He was hard to capture for a photo. I was hoping he was a shrimp, but he was crawling all over the rock. I think he is beneficial.

post-83200-0-82240900-1391999559_thumb.jpg

post-83200-0-47557900-1391999560_thumb.jpg

Then I recognized some infamous aiptasia. Booo! I left the rock in a little longer, and then decided to just remove that whole piece completely. There may be more of these guys lingering on the lot, but hopefully not. I will have to keep an eye out.

post-83200-0-37850200-1391999557_thumb.jpg

post-83200-0-29100800-1391999558_thumb.jpg

I tried to choose rubble that had coralline algae. A couple empty shells had a decent amount on them. Hopefully the algae spreads.

post-83200-0-06457700-1391999562_thumb.jpg

Another interesting thing I found on the rubble were these two brown bubble shaped things. I placed a piece of rubble and didn't realize they were on the underside They kind of slowly fill up and then deflate and then do it over and over, not sure what it is, and I couldn't really take good pictures. Also they seem to glow pink under the actinics. Another thing I'll just monitor.

post-83200-0-18193200-1391999561_thumb.jpg

I plan to monitor the tank and test the water in a few days. Maybe I will see signs of a cycle this time.

I think my tank looks like crap now. So in due time I will redo my scape. I'm not sure I chose correctly from the rubble bin at the LFS. Again, the rubble's purpose is to just seed the tank. Once seeded and cycled, I will probably take most of it out. Maybe I can throw them back in the rubble bin at the LFS if they let me.

I did a water test a couple days ago, still no signs of a cycle. Just waiting and watching. I also saw a 3 legged baby asterina a couple days ago, but it has gone into hiding now. If it shows itself, I'll try to take some pictures or video.

in time they will be beautiful. So will the tank be a zao island?

I will definitely place a couple zoas, when the tank is ready. That could still be a month or more away though.

Day 15 Update:

post-83200-0-55780300-1392518568_thumb.jpg

My tank deserved some love on Valentine's Day, so I tested my water.

post-83200-0-11698100-1392519449_thumb.png

The are no big changes happening, which is good. I do find myself having trouble differentiating the colors on the API cards, but I have my wife to help. She is probably less color blind than I am. Also I stare a lot into my tank while the 10Ks and Actinics are on, which probably doesn't help my cause.

My analysis is as follows. There is definitely die-off from the rubble added, so ammonia should be starting to rise. As for the phosphates, I assume it is caused by the addition of the live rubble from the LFS.

Diatoms have started to show up, which is good. I plan to just let the tank do its thing for the next two weeks, no water changes unless nitrates and phosphates get out of control. I'll just keep topping off with fresh RO/DI.

post-83200-0-76147400-1392518567_thumb.jpg

One of the rubble rocks is showing interesting growth. I'm just going to let it do its thang.

post-83200-0-27551000-1392518569_thumb.jpg

For significant livestock, I've got a brown tunicate (http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/341173-mysterious-brown-blob/) and two Asterina starfish in my tank so far. There were munnid isopods earlier, but I haven't seen the little buggers in a while. The stars have no coral to chomp on, nor much coralline, so I'll keep them for now. Good training for them as part of the CUC.

post-83200-0-07710500-1392518567_thumb.jpg

post-83200-0-07643900-1392518570_thumb.jpg

I was surprised by how fast the 3 legger moves. Here's a 2 minute video of him in action. He's about the size of a pen cap.

Ok, so I decided to remove the starfish. Over the last couple days, I watched the little blue star decimate a decent patch of purple coralline. Also I found a third star, which may be the little blue's twin.

I feel a little bad because after taking a closer look at them, they are kind of cool. Oh well I'm a murderer. They are forever immortalized through these photos. Sorry guys.

post-83200-0-51318200-1392783484_thumb.jpg

post-83200-0-98991200-1392783485_thumb.jpg

Asterina starfish continue to be a debated topic. The poor little guys probably didn't have enough to eat. Since I'm a novice, I'd rather err on the side of caution than have to deal with a nuisance later. (http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/45-reefkeeping-101-)

My diatom bloom has simmered down a bit as well, so I'm happy about that, but now hair algae seems to be taking over. I'm excited to get a clean up crew. At the pace I'm going, that might be in March.

Was out of town for 3 nights. GHA has grown, and I have detected flatworms. I have to go out of town again for another 3 nights starting tomorrow, will probably need to do some maintenance.

As per http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/243281-very-small-slug-type-thing/ I have identified them as Amphisolops sp.

and Acoel sp. If I see them tonight, I may try removal. I don't like the sound of toxins in the water due to their deaths.

Woohoo, I picked up the first and maybe only members of my clean up crew. 2 snails and 4 hermit crabs, and 1 bonus sand sifter snail.

1 Mexican Turbo Snail

1 Tiger Turbo Snail

2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

2 Red-Tipped Hermit Crabs

1 Nassarius Snail (buried in the sand immediately)

As soon as they were dropped them in, the snails started chomping down on hair algae and the crabs were sifting through the sand at a furious pace. It looked like they were on crack. After some time, they all pooped, ate a bit more, and then they took short naps. Then my lights turned off on the timer.

The clean up crew really has done a great job on the tank.

These snails eat a lot. I'm almost tempted to return them to the LFS because at the rate they eat, they may starve unless I supplement their diet.

As for the hermits, the 2 small blue hermits like to stay hidden in the day, and then come out to party at night. The small nassarius is also nocturnal, he is fun to watch. The larger red tipped hermits are quite comical. One of them keeps switching up between his original shell and a larger one. He can't seem to make up his mind.

My snails are larger than all the hermits, I hope it stays that way. I don't want any bloodshed in my tank.

Here's the 3/2/2014 FTS.

post-83200-0-14506600-1393998579_thumb.jpg

My tank is a mess with all the random pieces of rubble. I want to go back to my original scape if possible with minimal additions. Another idea I'm thinking about is putting all the rubble in a HOB refugium (maybe dark, or reverse light cycle).

Archived