SaltCritters.com

Skye Lights 14k for Nuvos

CryptoReef

Had this tank set up almost 2 months. Decided it was time to check the PAR readings, and I was a bit disappointed. This is nothing new, but these lights aren't really the best for maintaining a thriving reef tank. At the surface of the water, I was getting 200 par. At the bottom between 50-70. Anywhere in the middle or directly below the surface was 150 or lower. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves.

For what that light is, I'm actually impressed you were still getting 100-150ish in usable places. Sounds like enough for a good mix of LPS and Z's and P's, if that's your thing.

When I used them (briefly), not only did I not find them all that powerful, but I disliked their color rendition - probably because they are using higher-Kelvin whites, which are notoriously poor for good color rendition for most aquarists.

It's the 6 bulb version. It wasn't so much the numbers as the lack of spread. Anything not directly under the light was under 100. Certainly a softies tank is doable, but who wants that ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Because these lights are not that great you can find them for sale quite cheap on this forum site and ebay. I have a Nuvo 8 and run two of them. I have a monti plate that is growing, though not fast, but others like an orange digi that is doing quite well now, also a birdsnest that has some nice growth. The big test is my new bta, it was a size of an eraser head when i got him a week ago, we shall see how he does!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started a Nuvo 8. I'm looking to grow some very basic softies - GSP & maybe some Xenia. Would a single be sufficient? I'm intrigued with the idea of running two of the lights...

I've just started a Nuvo 8. I'm looking to grow some very basic softies - GSP & maybe some Xenia. Would a single be sufficient? I'm intrigued with the idea of running two of the lights...

I added softies first, stayed alive, a bit of growth. My gsp was added after my second light came but if you place it in the right spots and not @ the bottom, have some proper flow vs. the stock pump the gsp will also do fine as mine has.

How do you think the 6 LED one would be on a 3G pico?

Go to IM's website, under Skkye lights there is a PAR graph and chart for different corals. Depending on dimensions & depth you should have no issues with mushrooms, softies, polyps/zoas anywere in the tank and should keep some lps. I have a monti plate and an acropora in mine right now at the top, not a lot of growth but great colors.

Archived