Cultivated Reef

I want your dead fish

Markushka

Oh My God!!! This Is Beyond Amazing!!! Hope To See Some Crazy Ones!!!

-Tamberav-I Finally Understand Your Avatar Now Lol

haha! Yeah, I don't think anyone understood it :P I'm trying to figure out just how creepy everyone is going to think I am if I buy one of these.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha! Yeah, I don't think anyone understood it :P I'm trying to figure out just how creepy everyone is going to think I am if I buy one of these.

So, how creepy does that make me for making them??? lol

Have you ever thought of hitting up local petcos/marts for their dead livestock? I'm sure they'd have tons to help you out with lol

Big chains will not even talk to us, it doesn't go well with their corporate structure. It really has put me off of buying even dry goods from them. Not going to rant here tho.

A few LFS owners have been able to help us out, and we are grateful with what we can get from them, which isn't much either. Thankfully. I've been trying to get an intro to some wholesalers, particularly importers, they get a lot of DOAs. Its not easy. This has really limited us to working with mice primarily.

Im actually in touch with the professor who did a lot of the specimens in that article, he swnt me his protocol, which takes upwards if 2-3 weeks to finish a specimen from a fresh frog. Crazy, huh? The method I've helped develop,takes less than a week from start to finish.

Big chains will not even talk to us, it doesn't go well with their corporate structure. It really has put me off of buying even dry goods from them. Not going to rant here tho.

A few LFS owners have been able to help us out, and we are grateful with what we can get from them, which isn't much either. Thankfully. I've been trying to get an intro to some wholesalers, particularly importers, they get a lot of DOAs. Its not easy. This has really limited us to working with mice primarily.

If you would like, i could show my lfs this thread in case they would like to donate their dead livestock. They sometimes have seahorses and usually have eels. Both, I think, would be awesome for you.

Ironically the same day I read this my dwarf zebra lionfish (Dendrochirus zebra) died :-(. I have him in the freezer if you are interested, all the venomous spines and other fins are still in perfect shape. Wish I would have read this a few weeks ago, I just got rid of a few fish I had in the freezer, a Rhinopias frondosa, blue spotted boxfish (Ostracion meleagris), and a yellow spotted scorpionfish (Sebastapistes cyanostigma). Anyways let me know if you want him...

Ironically the same day I read this my dwarf zebra lionfish (Dendrochirus zebra) died :-(. I have him in the freezer if you are interested, all the venomous spines and other fins are still in perfect shape. Wish I would have read this a few weeks ago, I just got rid of a few fish I had in the freezer, a Rhinopias frondosa, blue spotted boxfish (Ostracion meleagris), and a yellow spotted scorpionfish (Sebastapistes cyanostigma). Anyways let me know if you want him...

just curious... why do you freeze your dead fish?

Pretty cool! I like the dinner offer and is the shipping free for the fetal pig ;)

Amay, if you get the feral pig, I'll drive it out to you... I'm really hoping to get some fish prizes on the list, but I have a little fine tuning to do there first.

just curious... why do you freeze your dead fish?

I only did those because they were venomous fish that could still inflict a sting if somebody poked themselves, and since they were too big to flush I had to make sure I disposed of them properly.

Amay, if you get the feral pig, I'll drive it out to you... I'm really hoping to get some fish prizes on the list, but I have a little fine tuning to do there first.

yeah! I was disappointed no fish were on the kick starter. Not that I want you to kill fish.

yeah! I was disappointed no fish were on the kick starter. Not that I want you to kill fish.

I am working to fix that... Tracking down cooler fish than feeders as well as ironing out staining protocols. I hope to have fish on the kickstarter before time's up. I just got a bag full of quater sized FW angelfish, kinda sad, but they'll look way cooler clear than rotting in the trash!

And no chance to post pics, sorry guys. My laptops harddrive crashed the other day, so I'm still trying to fix that... I think I just need to get a new harddrive. :/

And now for some of our first fish... Cell phone pics for now, sorry.

2vxq0zs.jpg

one fish

4hs3rd.jpg

two fish

9amr8h.jpg

red fish

10h68on.jpg

mostly blue fish

And some more things in the works...

167l75v.jpg

and one more shot:

opy44j.jpg

Is it possible to pose them at all? Picked up the 70% ethanol today. Found a frozen molly in my freezer so prob go back for some more.

They can be posed but we need to experiment more to see how much we can actually do with that.

Some of the goldfish twisted in the ethanol so we are paying more attention to that in the next batches.

Yep, a lot of these have been put in the smallest vials for space concerns. I don't want to carry display pieces to and from the lab lol.

A lot will depend on the specimens, and this is something we are working on finding out. Some of those above are still a work in progress too.

we are very excited to work on that and other exotic specimens.

These are just the test gold fish. With the improved technique and more interesting animals, we will take more time to get a best results possible.

Archived