Pod Your Reef

I want your dead fish

Markushka

Why would I want your dead fish you may ask... Well, I am working for a small start up company, Phytosis and we have this new product called visikol. Its a clearing agent. We are looking for specimens to clear. The end result is something like this

2rzdvv8.jpg

Now, we are working on a tight budget, so we would appreciate any donations of deceased livestock, shipping costs would be compensated. If it is something truly spectacular and we must clear it, compensation can be discussed. We would like to acquire more specimens without having to resort to killing feeder goldfish.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes actually. I have been going to all the LFS in my area, and my cooworkers do the same. Its really hit or miss tho, sometimes we get lucky and get there before they dispose of them. Other times there are no managers and the employees aren't cooperative. its all across the board. Some LFS won't even admit that they lose fish which is particularly annoying for me.

Here is an example of one of the first mice we cleared and stained:

IMG_20140109_142020_232.jpg

Okay well the way our product works is that it seeps into the tissues and makes the refractive index uniform throughout causing the specimen to become transparent. The mice and other small organisms clear pretty fast, within a matter of days.

At the same time it also acts as a preservative, so the tissue is still there and not damaged.

Just out of curiosity, how big of an animal is too big for you to accept?

No I do not have a stock pile of animal carcasses. Just want to know how big of a project you have going. ;)

one thing we need to do tho is start taking better pictures! I wish I had a better one, but cell phones and round containers are not a good recipe for good shots. In the works tho.

How does the product work on a molecular level? As in, how does it chemically react with the tissues specifically? This is very cool btw.

Just out of curiosity, how big of an animal is too big for you to accept?

No I do not have a stock pile of animal carcasses. Just want to know how big of a project you have going. ;)

We can theoretically handle anything, we would just need to find a big enough vat and I'm sure somewhere at Rutgers one can be found. However, I would not envision this being to practical with such large animals as cows or even goats for that matter. We have been promised some sharks from a researcher out in Cali, and I'm not sure how big those will be yet...

We would certainly love to get some of of the bigger reef fishes, and skates have awesome cartilage structure, but they aren't really kept in nano tanks lol

How does the product work on a molecular level? As in, how does it chemically react with the tissues specifically? This is very cool btw.

There isn't much of a chemical reaction, besides the removal of some proteins into the solution. The product is designed to permeate the tissue and create a uniform refractive index whilst simultaneously removing water.

Do you have health protocols on shipping deceased animals? I'd imagine freezing would ruin what you want to view, so does it have to be kept at refrigeration temperature?

Do you have health protocols on shipping deceased animals? I'd imagine freezing would ruin what you want to view, so does it have to be kept at refrigeration temperature?

I would suggest freezing, it doesn't damage the macro structures, and we aren't doing microscopic histology yet tho we will soon. Preserved in ethanol or isopropyl could also work, but preferred shipping methods would be either frozen or fresh via priority mail.

So pretty much no chemical alteration. Awesome.

Yes, it keeps the specimen intact unlike some of the current clearing methods and is safe to handle and use outside a lab. We are actually working on creating hobbyist kits to generate some revenue for further development.

That guy has some really cool pieces, and I think he used chloral hydrate to clear his specimens. Being outside the US, he doesn't need a DEA licence to get that stuff. Works pretty well too as you can see.

Holy crap I need all of them. These would make for some awesome decor. A chandelier made with a whole bunch of these containers, with a light bulb in each one.

lessergeneration

Give me about 5 months and we could work something out, Im a salmon fisherman and could find a way to send you a big chinook(20-30ish pounds).

I am another member of this lab and am happy to answer any questions anyone has.

We are currently working on reuseability tests and looking into expanding into larger specimens. All we really need are the animals to work with.

We will eventually be selling cleared specimens and would like to offer a clearing service. Unfortunately, we cannot do that until our process is perfected. For that, we need practice on a wide variety of specimens.

Yes, as baccus said, we are mainly working on creating protocols right now. We have proved that our product works well on plants and mammals, and our first few fish trials have been just as successful. We are trying to show that Visikol can apply to as many fields as possible.

Archived