Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dpolt's Mixed Reef Tank. (New Shark Diving Pictures).

dpoltsdsu

nice additions! those bam bams are really gonna pop in ur tank

They have unbelievable color. I hope I get some good growth from them. I'm debating on what kind of Zoa I want to add next though..

Looking good! Love the RSM line. I'm so tempted to do a bigger tank but I told myself (and my wife) that when I did my my $700 enhancement project to the Biocube 14 that it would hold me over from a new tank until we move. It's been a little less than a year and I've got the itch. Oh boy.

It's so hard not to upgrade. I went from a Biocube 14 to this tank.. lol. I want to check out this 700 dollar upgrade though, it sounds awesome.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oldskoolwayz

They have unbelievable color. I hope I get some good growth from them. I'm debating on what kind of Zoa I want to add next though..

It's so hard not to upgrade. I went from a Biocube 14 to this tank.. lol. I want to check out this 700 dollar upgrade though, it sounds awesome.

they will, mines have been growing nicely...

so many choices omgomgomg:D

I'm fortunate enough to be able to visit Maui for the next week. The tank is being watched over by a couple friends so hopefully all goes well on that end. I will be diving quite a bit so ill be taking quite a few pictures and videos!

View of Maui from the airplane this afternoon

LBC15tE.jpg

charnelhouse

I want to do this :unsure: but I do not know where I would place it without it shadowing over a bunch of other coral

Thanks! I appreciate it, I use natural saltwater from San Diego. The local marine research institute filters water from the ocean and then allows hobbyists to use the water. It is a great resource

I'm curious, were you using Scripps water when you had the mysterious Ich outbreak that killed your earlier fish, or was that before you were in SD?

If you get a chance while you're on Maui drive the back way to Hana. Absolutely amazing ride.

I'm curious, were you using Scripps water when you had the mysterious Ich outbreak that killed your earlier fish, or was that before you were in SD?

If you get a chance while you're on Maui drive the back way to Hana. Absolutely amazing ride.

Yes, I was using the scripps water at the time when the ich broke out. My blenny at the time had gotten injured from the propeller of my mp10 a couple of days before the outbreak hit and was the first fish to get it, so I don't think it was the scripps water. I've also continued to use it and have not had any further issues with Ich.

That's funny you said that, that's exactly what I was planning to do. I have gone the normal way before but never the back way. I'm looking forward to it

charnelhouse

Yes, I was using the scripps water at the time when the ich broke out. My blenny at the time had gotten injured from the propeller of my mp10 a couple of days before the outbreak hit and was the first fish to get it, so I don't think it was the scripps water. I've also continued to use it and have not had any further issues with Ich.

That's funny you said that, that's exactly what I was planning to do. I have gone the normal way before but never the back way. I'm looking forward to it

I have a friend who uses Scripps in all of his tanks, including a 350 gallon built into his livingroom wall. I want to use it since mixing is such a PITA, but I'm skeered... lol.

I took the back way when I was there a couple of years ago, did the hike to Waimoku falls, then went the normal way out. You avoid all of the traffic that way. It made for an unreal day. The scenery on the south side is incredible too.

I have a friend who uses Scripps in all of his tanks, including a 350 gallon built into his livingroom wall. I want to use it since mixing is such a PITA, but I'm skeered... lol.

I took the back way when I was there a couple of years ago, did the hike to Waimoku falls, then went the normal way out. You avoid all of the traffic that way. It made for an unreal day. The scenery on the south side is incredible too.

I would use the water. I get crazy coral extension when I do a water change and my corals have always grown really well with it. And it's free which is always nice.

I'm stoked to see this backway now. It'd be nice to avoid all the people, the usual way does get pretty crowded

Good morning from Maui!

fmUNUUJ.jpg

I'm going to explore the reef right outside where I am staying this morning. I heard it's a good location for snorkeling! Here is the spot, I'm just going to go around the rock structure and see what I can see

This is where I'm going to go

wuCIrTA.jpg

The back way back from Hana to Kihei, where we stayed, is some of the most fun driving I have done. Very interesting to see parts of the island most people do not because they won't go that way. Doesn't hurt that the traffic is a lot less either. Definitely worth doing as long as you don't mind some very tight corners, where your car is inches away from solid rock on one side and going into the water on the other. At first my wife thought it was a bit crazy, but in the end she was very happy I went that way.

charnelhouse

I would use the water. I get crazy coral extension when I do a water change and my corals have always grown really well with it. And it's free which is always nice.

I'm stoked to see this backway now. It'd be nice to avoid all the people, the usual way does get pretty crowded

Good morning from Maui!

fmUNUUJ.jpg

I'm going to explore the reef right outside where I am staying this morning. I heard it's a good spot! Here is the spot, I'm just going to go around the rock structure and see what I can see

This is where I'm going to go

wuCIrTA.jpg

Just keep your eyes peeled for Tiger Sharks :blink::wacko::blink:

The back way back from Hana to Kihei, where we stayed, is some of the most fun driving I have done. Very interesting to see parts of the island most people do not because they won't go that way. Doesn't hurt that the traffic is a lot less either. Definitely worth doing as long as you don't mind some very tight corners, where your car is inches away from solid rock on one side and going into the water on the other. At first my wife thought it was a bit crazy, but in the end she was very happy I went that way.

We were in Kihei also when we did this. Makena to be exact. We did the entire loop from Makena around the back way then back on the North side. We did the lava tube outside of Hana also which was very interesting. It was a full day, We went from about 8 in the morning until almost dark by the time we got back to the hotel (which included the hike up to Waimoku). So very worth it though. Many many incredible sights.

Check out my signature link. It's got my tanks history and progress.

As you know, this stuff adds up!!

LED retrofit with controller - $300

Skimmer - $60

New pumps - $90

ATO - $100

Media basket and supplies - $50

Spin stream - $20

So about $620 in hardware

Then u added about $300 in corals. So close to a grand. All on top of the original startup costs.

So the $700 budget was in lieu of me spending like $2000 on something bigger. Lol. But it really was just differing my larger tank purchase for a few years.

I'm so tempted all the time to buy something bigger. But I want to buy the right tank. And at this point I am not sure what the right tank is.

Is it the IM 30l? IM 40? IM 60?? Or one of the RSM? Or do I do a 75g and sump? Aahhhhhh!!!!

HarryPotter

Skimmer - $60

New pumps - $90

ATO - $100

Spin stream - $20

Then u added about $300 in corals. So close to a grand. All on top of the original startup costs.

So the $700 budget was in lieu of me spending like $2000 on something bigger. Lol. But it really was just differing my larger tank purchase for a few years.

I'm so tempted all the time to buy something bigger. But I want to buy the right tank. And at this point I am not sure what the right tank is.

Is it the IM 30l? IM 40? IM 60?? Or one of the RSM? Or do I do a 75g and sump? Aahhhhhh!!!!

Cad Lights FTW

Skimmer - $60

New pumps - $90

ATO - $100

Spin stream - $20

Well the good thing is that if you do decide to upgrade, you can just reuse a lot of your equipment. You can use the skimmer, lights, rock, ato, and maybe even the sump pumps

The reef looked fantastic, The corals and fish looked really healthy and I was able to see a lot of coral we keep in the hobby including plating Montipora as well as some beautiful pink Zoanthids.

One thing I did notice was the sheer amount of surge flow that is on a natural reef. The SPS polyps on the coral I saw were getting huge amounts of flow. This is something I would love to replicate on my own reef. I will post some more pictures of the reef throughout the next week but I have a decent one right now.

ycUvpch.jpg

These two are from the last time I was here but I figured now would be a good time to post them!

KaivoCS.jpg

PSA I did not touch the turtle, It actually willingly came up to me this closeA9tE8T8.jpg

Just keep your eyes peeled for Tiger Sharks :blink::wacko::blink:

We were in Kihei also when we did this. Makena to be exact. We did the entire loop from Makena around the back way then back on the North side. We did the lava tube outside of Hana also which was very interesting. It was a full day, We went from about 8 in the morning until almost dark by the time we got back to the hotel (which included the hike up to Waimoku). So very worth it though. Many many incredible sights.

Believe it or not I would actually love to see a Tiger Shark. Call me crazy but I think that would be an unforgettable experience. We're in Makena as well so the back way would probably be a better way to go. I appreciate all the advice!

Well the good thing is that if you do decide to upgrade, you can just reuse a lot of your equipment. You can use the skimmer, lights, rock, ato, and maybe even the sump pumps

Well not entirely. Of course, I won't be breaking down the Biocube. :).

I plan to relocate it into my daughters room for her to enjoy. The LEDs are purpose built for that hood, the skimmer I would not use in anything over 20g, ATO is a MUST HAVE on the nano tank, so I'll need another.

It's alright though. The next tank is going to be done right. If I have to take my time I will. And if I have to buy some killer setup off someone exiting the hobby then I'll do that too and customize it to make it my own design.

We will have to wait and see what options are presented my way when the time comes.

My biggest issue is space. I live in a townhouse and we're moving into a regular house in 1-5 years. I'm trying to hold off till then. I have no idea if I will end up so fortunate as to have the perfect space for a tank and the perfect neighboring room/basement/closet to plumb a killer setup!!! Ideally I want to have a room separate from the DT which has my water mixing, Sump, fuge, sink, work area, support desk, etc. all automated, programmed, and electronically controlled.

So why drop 2 grand now when I can drop 10 grand plus and just do it right in a few years.

Someone once said patience is a virtue. It's true. and hard.

Tanks looking good! Love the underwater shots! That turtle shot

Thank you! I was hoping I got it, when I loaded the footage on my computer I was happy when I saw I took it properly. The Gopro has no viewer so I didnt know if I got a good picture or not!

Well not entirely. Of course, I won't be breaking down the Biocube. :).

I plan to relocate it into my daughters room for her to enjoy. The LEDs are purpose built for that hood, the skimmer I would not use in anything over 20g, ATO is a MUST HAVE on the nano tank, so I'll need another.

It's alright though. The next tank is going to be done right. If I have to take my time I will. And if I have to buy some killer setup off someone exiting the hobby then I'll do that too and customize it to make it my own design.

We will have to wait and see what options are presented my way when the time comes.

My biggest issue is space. I live in a townhouse and we're moving into a regular house in 1-5 years. I'm trying to hold off till then. I have no idea if I will end up so fortunate as to have the perfect space for a tank and the perfect neighboring room/basement/closet to plumb a killer setup!!! Ideally I want to have a room separate from the DT which has my water mixing, Sump, fuge, sink, work area, support desk, etc. all automated, programmed, and electronically controlled.

So why drop 2 grand now when I can drop 10 grand plus and just do it right in a few years.

Someone once said patience is a virtue. It's true. and hard.

Oh, in that case I would try and wait.. haha. That dream tank would be so worth it. At least you can have a smaller tank while you wait. If you let your coral grow out, your tank will be looking really good

Sk8n Reefer

Thank you! I was hoping I got it, when I loaded the footage on my computer I was happy when I saw I took it properly. The Gopro has no viewer so I didnt know if I got a good picture or not!

That's a gopro- nice, Ya I got the viewer for it just for that reason- game changer for that camera. I would recommend one for sure! I've thought about taking it in the tank but I am just worried the case would leak- how deep did you take it ?

I had it out quite a bit when I was here last year. I had it at about 20 to 30 feet below the surface a couple of times and I did not have an issue. The first picture of the reef I posted above was shot in about 25 feet of water. I see no reason why it would leak in an aquarium. I say go for it! I have also used mine in my aquarium and it was fine

Some amazing looking lizards have been hanging out by our condo. I believe they are called Gold Dust Day Geckos

I managed to photograph one when it was sitting still

xaiIZlF.jpg

I'm going snorkeling this afternoon and I plan on exploring more of the reef this time around. I will be sure to get some footage of some coral and reef fish!

Here is a satellite view of the location along with route I will be taking

cX1ACeS.png

WBRNjoA.jpg

charnelhouse

I've snorkeled all of that stuff. That's quite an afternoon swim you have planned there.

FYI, when I was out there almost two years ago (Aug '13) we were kayaking/snorkelling in the area of your big outward loop. It's a well known turtle area. We had been there about 20 minutes when the local guide for another kayak group paddles over to us and says "Just thought you might want to know, we just saw a tiger here bigger than your kayak". That would make it a 12+ foot shark. There had been a number of recent attacks in that very area too at the time. One woman died.

Point being, I hope you aren't going alone. A group is a good idea out there.

I've snorkeled all of that stuff. That's quite an afternoon swim you have planned there.

FYI, when I was out there almost two years ago (Aug '13) we were kayaking/snorkelling in the area of your big outward loop. It's a well known turtle area. We had been there about 20 minutes when the local guide for another kayak group paddles over to us and says "Just thought you might want to know, we just saw a tiger here bigger than your kayak". That would make it a 12+ foot shark. There had been a number of recent attacks in that very area too at the time. One woman died.

Point being, I hope you aren't going alone. A group is a good idea out there.

That's pretty wild. My dad and I go in the morning when there is groups out there so we are not alone. Did you see anything cool when you snorkled there? We have seen a ton of turtles the last couple of days. I have seen at least 10 each time I have gone

Here are some pictures from snorkeling this morning. I am pretty happy with how they turned out

Turtle Shot

tntqwEa.jpg

Turtle cleaning station

SH5r4Uv.jpg

Shoal of Tangs

KKtfIY1.jpg

g0jsPEq.jpg

Zoanthids

3bnwHig.jpg

Archived