Coral Vue Hydros

Rock Flower Anemone Breeding

hypostatic

love your threads! thanks for the info especially about the fish you have with the RFA. future fish list includes(undecided) tailspot & neon goby. don"t know if i"ll keep my YCG for the new tank??

Thanks! I like them all but YCG - I've always heard it's harder to get them to eat.

Thanks! I like them all but YCG - I've always heard it's harder to get them to eat.

Yeah mine eats but not with much enthusiasm. The RG acts like a big brother to the YCG i guess trying to show him how to eat??? Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I must have gotten lucky... the little YCG I picked up last year has been eating like a champ. I've found that even the "small fish formula" .5mm pellets can be too big for it to eat and keep down, but lightly crushed are juuust right.

That or offer practically ANY egg/roe-based food (Nutramar, ROE, Rod's Eggs, rinsed sushi masago, etc.) will make them smack mouth-first into the pipette within a couple of feedings.

He's doing better, after 2 wks of using the Garlic Extreme, he has appetite now. He has these white splotch mark on each cheek. Is that normal? I got him from Live Aquaria.

• 4 weeks later...

About 9 months ago I added a moonlight to my tank. Not sure if it helped or was just a coincidence but apparently I had a spawning event a few months later (I did not witness it).

I have a bare bottom tank so I think I lost most of the babies through filtration, however about 30 attached on to the rocks in my tank and survived. It took me ~ 1 month to even realize what they were and about another month to gain color.

The parents were red w/ a yellow center and red w/ a green center. Some of the babies look like clones where as others look like a mix and I even have a few with green outer rings (recessive color perhaps?). I attached a picture below after about 6 months. It has some zoo's and ricordia in the picture as well so hopefully you can get perspective on size.

I fed zooplankton via syringe for a few months to get them to this point but now I'm mostly relying on passive feeding through feeding the fish and lighting (T5's). My tank equipment isn't very advanced (HOB skimmer & small canister filter) which is perhaps why I had success as some could land/attach before being removed (something to consider if your designing a system with the goal of spawning flower/rock anemones.

post-83805-0-80835500-1394131244_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm currently in the process of setting up a 36" 24" 12" frag tank specifically for rock flower breeding. They have definitely peaked my interest and I'm currently gathering unique colors for broodstock. I'll be sure to make a breeding thread once it all gets up and rolling, for now it's just planning until I move into my new house this August.

• Like 3

Love this! I have 3 in my 17 gallon and am getting 3 more that I just ordered from Vipreef. Hoping that I get baby nems too!

Gonna have to show pics! I've been sharing all my VIPReef choices!!!

About 9 months ago I added a moonlight to my tank. Not sure if it helped or was just a coincidence but apparently I had a spawning event a few months later (I did not witness it).

I have a bare bottom tank so I think I lost most of the babies through filtration, however about 30 attached on to the rocks in my tank and survived. It took me ~ 1 month to even realize what they were and about another month to gain color.

The parents were red w/ a yellow center and red w/ a green center. Some of the babies look like clones where as others look like a mix and I even have a few with green outer rings (recessive color perhaps?). I attached a picture below after about 6 months. It has some zoo's and ricordia in the picture as well so hopefully you can get perspective on size.

I fed zooplankton via syringe for a few months to get them to this point but now I'm mostly relying on passive feeding through feeding the fish and lighting (T5's). My tank equipment isn't very advanced (HOB skimmer & small canister filter) which is perhaps why I had success as some could land/attach before being removed (something to consider if your designing a system with the goal of spawning flower/rock anemones.

Awesome!

I need to get a moonlight for my flowers!!!!

• Like 1

Maybe leave my Kessil on low moonlight all night but of course I have an overflow and a skimmer so it probably wouldn't work anyway. But it's a fun thought for a rainy day project, but where would I put it? 20g are cheap. Bedroom, replace the tv there since I don't watch it there anymore, haven't had that tv on since Don was around. And now w/ this hobby I don't watch the boob tube in the LR either. I do like some shows, like those tattooing shows.

• Like 1

Maybe leave my Kessil on low moonlight all night but of course I have an overflow and a skimmer so it probably wouldn't work anyway. But it's a fun thought for a rainy day project, but where would I put it? 20g are cheap. Bedroom, replace the tv there since I don't watch it there anymore, haven't had that tv on since Don was around. And now w/ this hobby I don't watch the boob tube in the LR either. I do like some shows, like those tattooing shows.

Are you thinking about starting a breeding tank? You definitely have the breeding stock :).

• Like 1

Gonna have to show pics! I've been sharing all my VIPReef choices!!!

I've seen them and love them! I'll definitely get some pics up, possibly on a new thread for my tank...

• Like 1

Are you thinking about starting a breeding tank? You definitely have the breeding stock :).

Hadn't thought about it but it seems like that happened so easily for him, by accident. I mean a 20g on sale, an AC70, a light w/ moonlight, a couple Koralia Nanos and black aquarium gravel even, that's all you'd need just about? Sounds like you'd need a skimmerless system, so doesn't sound like you'd need that much really. That would be fun to send each other rock flowers!!!

It would help feed our addiction for sure.

If interested I found a photo after about 2 months of the rock anemones with the ricordia. You can see how the color wasn't as developed. I also attached a pic of one of the parents (you can see a baby to the bottom left of it). Lastly a macro shot (I stink at taking aquarium photos). The red w/ yellow anemone in the previous pic isn't visible in the photo (its to the far right sort of around the side) but the other is under the green toadstool.

An yes I got very lucky because I also only had 2 (so its possible with just 2). Any way good luck to all and let me know if you figure anything else out! (I'll try to post an updated pic in another month or two)

post-83805-0-32685300-1394198072_thumb.jpg

post-83805-0-77617200-1394198097_thumb.jpg

post-83805-0-09179000-1394198108_thumb.jpg

Fwiw the Rfa will also reproduce asexually. I bought one about 2 yrs ago and roughly 6 months ago when I went to remove it for a tank swap there was a baby about 1 inch away. The baby has now grown almost as large as the parent.

For a breeder though, this would be too time consuming. Sexual reproduction that results in 50-100 babies would be preferable

• Like 1

If interested I found a photo after about 2 months of the rock anemones with the ricordia. You can see how the color wasn't as developed. I also attached a pic of one of the parents (you can see a baby to the bottom left of it). Lastly a macro shot (I stink at taking aquarium photos). The red w/ yellow anemone in the previous pic isn't visible in the photo (its to the far right sort of around the side) but the other is under the green toadstool.

An yes I got very lucky because I also only had 2 (so its possible with just 2). Any way good luck to all and let me know if you figure anything else out! (I'll try to post an updated pic in another month or two)

Wow, those babies you could almost mistake for aptasia.

Fwiw the Rfa will also reproduce asexually. I bought one about 2 yrs ago and roughly 6 months ago when I went to remove it for a tank swap there was a baby about 1 inch away. The baby has now grown almost as large as the parent.

For a breeder though, this would be too time consuming. Sexual reproduction that results in 50-100 babies would be preferable

Was the baby fairly identical?

Guess what I found tonight?????

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/030_zps32b6367d.jpg.html'>030_zps32b6367d.jpg

Who knows who the papa is but at least I now know the white flower is female.since it left from her homebase. Where's Maury when you need him! (are YOU the father?????) It would be really cool if it was that deep red one. Of course there's a yellow by it too.

I only found the one. There are times where the rock flower is really pretty blanketed, folded down like caramel covering an apple. I wonder if that's a protection response? This is the rockflower I've had since 5/25 from Saltcritters and had it in this tank not too long. It is also the only one that opens and closes as much as it does.

So, wonder if that's another way to tell if it's female?? Opens/closes alot??

• Like 1

Hopefully I can get some baby nems from these and the others I have in my tank! After a FedEx mix up I finally got them here from Vipreef and I love them :)

And the third one.... :)

2 nice ones! I always save the pic on his website as soon as I buy it just to look at later and compare. Is that 2nd one lavenderish/purple w/ pink middle? Next shot I see the yellow in there. And I love the way they slightly change as they get acclimated and spread out more. Are they still showing on the site as sold out?

Ok, let me guess, 8927 in the first shot and 8918 in the 2nd shot?

2 nice ones! I always save the pic on his website as soon as I buy it just to look at later and compare. Is that 2nd one lavenderish/purple w/ pink middle? Next shot I see the yellow in there. And I love the way they slightly change as they get acclimated and spread out more. Are they still showing on the site as sold out?

Ok, let me guess, 8927 in the first shot and 8918 in the 2nd shot?

All 3 are from Vipreef - that's where some of my tax refund went because I've wanted them for a long time. The colors are fairly close, but the nem in the second pic seems more pastel. I love how they all look in my tank :)

On the site they are all marked as sold out and are numbers 8927 and 8761 in the first pic and 8747 in the second pic.

All 3 are from Vipreef - that's where some of my tax refund went because I've wanted them for a long time. The colors are fairly close, but the nem in the second pic seems more pastel. I love how they all look in my tank :) On the site they are all marked as sold out and are numbers 8927 and 8761 in the first pic and 8747 in the second pic.

I've always had a hard time picking them on the site because they're so beautiful. I sometimes find the simpler ones are more pretty than the ones w/ 3-4 colors. But they change as they grow, some spots getting more darker, some lighter, you just never know. Those are really nice choices for breeding stock!!! I've just never seen anywhere w/ a diverse selection like them. One day, if I'm ever in Miami, I know where I'm going to stop in for a moment to visit. I'll have to have a handkerchief to take care of the oncoming drool.

I've always had a hard time picking them on the site because they're so beautiful. I sometimes find the simpler ones are more pretty than the ones w/ 3-4 colors. But they change as they grow, some spots getting more darker, some lighter, you just never know. Those are really nice choices for breeding stock!!! I've just never seen anywhere w/ a diverse selection like them. One day, if I'm ever in Miami, I know where I'm going to stop in for a moment to visit. I'll have to have a handkerchief to take care of the oncoming drool.

It is difficult to choose - that's probably why I ended up with several of them! I would love to see their stock in person, but I did some looking on Facebook and they have a great video of tons of their rock nems, it was beautiful!