Pod Your Reef

3 Gallon Contour Pico

hryder77

Get a turbo snail. The smallest you can find. For that algae. If you get dinos again. Buy dry rock and start over. Love the fact that you haven't given up on your tank. Keep up the good work!!

Hi Angel<3Nanos,

I was thinking about a turbo snail, i'm just worried he might fall down, die, and pollute my water. but that's just me being careful.

how about an astrea snail? Any experience with these guys as a CUC? though they aren't small either haha.

But I am seriously considering a turbo! My lazy hermit needs to go. He hasn't harmed anything but he's just taking up bio-load space.

If I do ever get dinos again I'd boil the hell out of the rocks and peroxide dip them again! then make a permanent QT and do as you said, buy dry rock and start the tank over again.

For now though I'm using a bio-filter supplement as a preventative measure. basically it out competes a outbreak. I'm using Seachem Stability right now , but I'll be picking up Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 soon.

Luckily my outbreak problems have been in the early stages. Its not like I've lost super established large colonies of coral. I've seen 5 year old 100 gal beauties turn to mush due to a nasty outbreak and the owner freaking out like i did and trying any method they can to get rid of the dino.

Thanks for the advice, and yes I'm not giving up on this tank :owned:!

I've been through far worse with my freshwater tanks in the past. I guess I'm just stubborn!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angel<3Nanos

Turbos are extremely hardy. I doubt it would die. I have astreas and love them but in the case of hard stringy algae, turbos is the way to go. Those guys eat like crazy. Maybe get a turbo and like 2-3 astreas. And leave the crab if he's a BLUE leg hermit, those are hard workers. The red legs are lazy.

But get the smaller turbo you can find. And make sure your frags are glued since they tend to knock things over when they pass by lol

Turbos are extremely hardy. I doubt it would die. I have astreas and love them but in the case of hard stringy algae, turbos is the way to go. Those guys eat like crazy. Maybe get a turbo and like 2-3 astreas. And leave the crab if he's a BLUE leg hermit, those are hard workers. The red legs are lazy.

But get the smaller turbo you can find. And make sure your frags are glued since they tend to knock things over when they pass by lol

Alright then I'll give the turbo a try!

The hermit I have is a scarlet hermit, super lazy indeed! all he does is sleep or pick at my rocks all day haha.

I might just keep the guy for the novelty. He'll be out if he ever starts messing with the corals!

• 3 months later...

Archived