Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FamousDan's 30 Gallon JBJ RL- NEW VIDEO

famousdan314

famousdan314
hey dan i was wondering if and how you have a refugium set up on your tank[/quote

Hey youngreef, yeah I have a mini fuge inside my media basket, if you scroll back to the beginning of my thread I built a filter basket out of acrylic sheets and eggcrate with a similar concept of the inTank media baskets. I was debating using the designated fuge compartment, however, my tank was already up and running prior to planning my fuge so I didn't have enough room or access to peel the black backing off of my tank. So I went with the bottom of my media rack on the right overflow. I have a light pressed up against the back of my tank on a reverse light cycle.

hey dan i was wondering if and how you have a refugium set up on your tank[/quote

Hey youngreef, yeah I have a mini fuge inside my media basket, if you scroll back to the beginning of my thread I built a filter basket out of acrylic sheets and eggcrate with a similar concept of the inTank media baskets. I was debating using the designated fuge compartment, however, my tank was already up and running prior to planning my fuge so I didn't have enough room or access to peel the black backing off of my tank. So I went with the bottom of my media rack on the right overflow. I have a light pressed up against the back of my tank on a reverse light cycle.

thanks dan could i get a pic please thanks

famousdan314

thanks dan could i get a pic please thanks

Sorry, Unfortunately Young reef my tank is right up against the wall makes taking a pic difficult. Here's a sketch tho. I use an innovative marine Skyye light as the fuge light. I had this light on an old 8 gallon nano, so I straightned the arm and clipped it on. It's identical to their IM magnetic fuge light, jbj also sells a magnetic one for cheaper.

post-80254-0-32990900-1426520438_thumb.png

Sorry, Unfortunately Young reef my tank is right up against the wall makes taking a pic difficult. Here's a sketch tho. I use an innovative marine Skyye light as the fuge light. I had this light on an old 8 gallon nano, so I straightned the arm and clipped it on. It's identical to their IM magnetic fuge light, jbj also sells a magnetic one for cheaper.

thanks so much dan that helped a lot

• Like 1
famousdan314

So today I ended up installing my Jebao dc 3000 eco pump. The pump that arrived was actually not like the picture that was advertised. During some research almost all the colored pump bodies from jebao are for the larger units. The pump also didn't come with a screen guard for the intake, the seller said he would ship me the cover since it was pictured in his photograph.

In the meantime I used some coarse filter sponge and a zip tie over the inlet. I am very pleased with the pump so far. I immediately noticed the slow ramp up of flow when turning the pump on for the first time. My biggest concern and the whole reason I purchased this pump was to help keep my tank temp down. After swapping out pumps in the early morning I noticed my tank stayed at 79 all day. Im currently keeping the pump running on level 4 of 6 which means less energy wasted

• Like 1
famousdan314

Hey bro, sorry was out of town this weekend and didn't get a chance to check my page. I would suggest some mushroom corals. The hardy mushrooms, not the expensive Yumas or Ricordeas. Most soft corals are relatively beginner corals. What kind of light do you have?

Most importantly make sure your tank is done cycling and that your water parameters are on point. Do research on all the fish and coral you buy as every single one has its own unique requirements. For example: adequate flow, temp, lighting, and food for starters. I suggest checking out the website liveaquaria.com I use this site as a quick reference guide before purchasing fish and coral.

hey dan i'm going to probably get my first ever coral this weekend i was wondering was a good beginner coral

thanks

Hey bro, sorry was out of town this weekend and didn't get a chance to check my page. I would suggest some mushroom corals. The hardy mushrooms, not the expensive Yumas or Ricordeas. Most soft corals are relatively beginner corals. What kind of light do you have?

Most importantly make sure your tank is done cycling and that your water parameters are on point. Do research on all the fish and coral you buy as every single one has its own unique requirements. For example: adequate flow, temp, lighting, and food for starters. I suggest checking out the website liveaquaria.com I use this site as a quick reference guide before purchasing fish and coral.

thanks dan i ended up going with some zoas i herd their a good beginer coral

• Like 1

Check this out Dan. I finally got my tank setup. JBJ 30 gallon rimless, custom pvc overflow, 10 gallon refugium, Coralife 65g protein skimmer, 2 Phosban 150 media reactors, JBJ macroglo refugium light, Kessil A360we light, reefkeeper controller, custom 7.5 gallon black acrylic ro/di reservoir with AutoAqua smart ATO, JBJ 1/15 hp chiller, 30 pounds of pure white live aragonite sand, 40lbs of dry rock from brs.

post-85799-0-39120600-1427840304_thumb.jpg

post-85799-0-16648600-1427840324_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
famousdan314

Looks great Searey! Some top notch equipment you've got there. I'm really curious how your PVC overflow to the refugium works? Would love to see some pics or a schematic of how you put that together as I have been really wanting to put a refugium together. Do you have a link to your thread would love to follow your tanks progress.

Check this out Dan. I finally got my tank setup. JBJ 30 gallon rimless, custom pvc overflow, 10 gallon refugium, Coralife 65g protein skimmer, 2 Phosban 150 media reactors, JBJ macroglo refugium light, Kessil A360we light, reefkeeper controller, custom 7.5 gallon black acrylic ro/di reservoir with AutoAqua smart ATO, JBJ 1/15 hp chiller, 30 pounds of pure white live aragonite sand, 40lbs of dry rock from brs.

• 2 weeks later...
famousdan314

Hey dan I was just curious about what you're dosing thanks

Hey youngreef, I'm currently using a two part supplement from seachem. I also supplement additional iodide and calcium.

famousdan314

Picked up a Snowflake Ora clown...or is it a Black Ice?? Went to Petco in Pasadena, Ca. Which has the best saltwater stock from any petco I've ever seen. Their fish look healthy and so do their corals. Anyways today was 30% off all fish. I bought this Clown thinking it was a snowflake but I believe it was closer to a black ice. I bought him for $28 out the door. I'm pretty sure this guy should have been labeled black ice which was $120 before the discount.

post-80254-0-34093000-1429303836_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
famousdan314

Today is Picture Day!!Lots of changes, new monticaps, new maxi mini carpet, and some close up shots of my new snowflake clown.

DSC03001%20copy.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02955.jpg

DSC02964.jpg

DSC02965.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

DSC02982.jpg

DSC02986.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
HarryPotter

I picked up an awesome green monti at the max expo in oc. Also grabbed a nice clipping of dragons breath macro algae.

Hey Dan,

How are you liking the DC3000? Do you know if that's the largest pump that can fit? Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
famousdan314

Hey Dan,

How are you liking the DC3000? Do you know if that's the largest pump that can fit? Thanks!

Hey Harry,

Sorry havent checked the account in a while. Love my new dc3000, runs quiet with half the energy. The flow is also controllable for either feed time or for maintenance. It also has a slow ramp up feature which is nice. After performing a water change and I turn the pump back on it slowly ramps up to your selected speed. That feature is really nice it keeps the water from splashing and the corals from getting blasted. After switching to this pump i'm running the pump at level 2 out of 6. So not sure why you would want to fit a bigger pump in there, this is more than enough flow. I find that adding too much flow to the sump of these AIO tanks takes away from the filtration process. If you want more flow for sps or something similar look at adding a wave pump or two.

Your tanks come along quite nicely Dan things are really starting to grow out and fill in.

Thanks HOTWATER!!

HarryPotter

Hey Harry,

Sorry havent checked the accound in a while. Love my new dc3000, runs quiet with half the energy. The flow is also controllable for either feed time or for maintenance. It also has a slow ramp up feature which is nice. After performing a water change and I turn the pump back on it slowly ramps up to your selected speed. That feauture is really nice it keeps the water from splashing and the corals from getting blasted. After switching to this pump im running the pump at level 2 out of 6. So not sure why you would want to fit a bigger pump in there, this is more than enough flow. I find that adding too much flow to the sump of these AIO tanks takes away from the filtration process. If you want more flow for sps or something similar look at affing a wave pump or two.

Thanks HOTWATER!!

That sounds great- currently I am using two MaxiJet 1200's for filtration (I have a vortech powerhead) but the MaxiJets are heating up the tank quite a bit! I'm going to keep my eye out for a DC3000.

Any pictures on how you made the Y return?

• Like 1
famousdan314

That sounds great- currently I am using two MaxiJet 1200's for filtration (I have a vortech powerhead) but the MaxiJets are heating up the tank quite a bit! I'm going to keep my eye out for a DC3000.

Any pictures on how you made the Y return?

I'll have to see if I have a pic. But, basically just purchased a barbed Y fitting at my LFS. Had some extra tubing and connected it all together. You just have to make sure to measure the distance to the return holes correctly so the pump still rests on the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...
itsyahboydanny

I picked up an awesome green monti at the max expo in oc. Also grabbed a nice clipping of dragons breath macro algae.

Hey Dan, AWESOME TANK! Just wondering if you jbj guys use your glass lids that came with the tank? if so, how often do you clean them?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Danny boy. Been following dans thread and thought I'd chime in. I have the same tank as well and what Dan and myself have done is ordered the bulk reef supply mesh screen top kit. It allows more gas exchange and oxygenates the water better IMO than the included glass top. And you'll have less carpet surfing of your livestock especially with the jumpers or suicidal snails and such. Hope this helps out.

• Like 1