JBJ30%202015.jpg

FTS 10-17-2014

DSC02701.jpg?t=1413437949

FTS 09-30-2014

DSC02459.jpg?t=1412109448

FTS 06-05-2014

DSC02239.JPG

https://youtu.be/G7lIrZTAzyw

A quick background about me starting the hobby. In 2012 I began my first SW tank an 8 gallon Aqueon Evolve after having owned several Freshwater tanks for several years. The inspiration followed our family trip to Hawaii where I spent almost all of my time in the water. Needless to say I became addicted to the hobby and love keeping the SW tank. I really enjoyed the simplicity of an AIO aquarium and so I decided to purchase the JBJ rimless for both price and style of the tank. I never started a build thread with my small tank so I thought I would start one for the 30 gallon. I ended up purchasing a new JBJ 30 that was on display out of the box at my LFS and bought it for $212 with tax! Awesome deal! Here is a quick list of my build.

JBJ 30 Gallon Nano Cube RL Series
Dimensions: 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5" (60 cm x 50 cm x 42cm )
Filtration:
Acrylic Filter Wall w/ Dual Overflows
Dual return Nozzles
Designated Heater Column
Designated Refugium Column

The Stand
Custom Built Stand 25"W x 21"D x 38" H

Current Equipment
Lighting- Maxspect Razor R420r Nano 60W
Heater- Cobalt Aquatics Neo Therm 100W
Jebao dc3000 return pump (added "Y" fitting)
RW-4 Wave Pump and Hydor Koralia 240 Wave Pump
PLS-50 Cadlights Protein Skimmer
DIY Custom Acrylic media rack
JBJ Auto Top Off

IM Skkye Light 8W for Mini Refugium

Future Equipment
Reef Controller

Automatic Doser

Tank Contents
Carib Sea Aragonite Sand 30lbs

5lbs crushed coral
25 lbs live rock

Fish

Ocellaris Snowflake Clownfish

B/W Ocellaris Clownfish

Royal Gramma

Sixline Wrasse

Yellow Tail Blue Damsel

4 Stripe Damsel

Inverts

1 Green Maxi Mini Carpet Anenome

2 Electric Blue Hermit
2 Reef Hermits
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Various Snails, Ceriths, Astrea, Trochus, and Nasarius

Corals
1 branching Purple/Green Frogspawn Coral (5 heads)

Duncan Coral (6 heads)

1 neon green Nepthea Coral

Mushroom Colony and Misc. colored mushrooms

...Blue, Red, Orange, Green, Superman
Encrusting Green Star Polyps
Pulsing Xenia
Green palys
Red Montipora

Green Montipora

Green Hollywood Stunner Chalice

3 Green Sinularias

post-80254-0-85780600-1457669002_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday I decided to tackle the DIY media basket. I got inspiration from an aftermarket basket for the JBJ rimless, they were asking $56. So I picked up a sheet of acrylic at Lowes Hardware for $12 and went to town. I also used some egg crate which I already owned. The basket came out great, I may build some frag racks using the same method.

Tools:

Box cutter, fresh razor blades

Metal Ruler

Metal File

Propane Torch or Heat Gun

Wire cutters/snips

Materials:

Acrylic

Egg Crate

Loctite Gel Ultra Super Glue

Steps:

Cut acrylic to proper dimensions

Cut out shelves from egg crate, I used 4" x 4" squares

Heat and bend the acrylic 90 degree on side with a handle

Glue egg crate shelves on the acylic handle side.

Glue sides on with a 1" offset to allow for water flow.

End Results are in the pics :-)

post-80254-0-58859200-1390110642_thumb.jpg

post-80254-0-17736400-1390110667_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Gramophone for the compliments and helping me get on my feet! I hope my tank turns out half as nice as yours. I'll try to get some more build pics up. I've been playing with my rock scape, I'm so indecisive I think I've rearranged it three times already...haha. My custom stand won't be done for a couple more weeks so unfortunately it'll be a while until I get some water in this thing.

Here's a possible scape, sorry this shot was taken with my tablet...horrible picture..lol. I promise I will use a better camera next time.

post-80254-0-37859700-1390121381_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

So I purchased a maxspect razor r420 60watt. I haven't opened it and still have the receipt. Can I get some advice on other led lighting that is fully controllable, I like the look of the hydra AI but don't want to spend $500+ after getting the controller.

So I purchased a maxspect razor r420 60watt. I haven't opened it and still have the receipt. Can I get some advice on other led lighting that is fully controllable, I like the look of the hydra AI but don't want to spend $500+ after getting the controller.

Maybe a Nanobox Led. Kessil A350 would be nice, but is not fully controllable. A360 even better, but would be $500+ to get it and a controller.

• Like 1

Maybe a Nanobox Led. Kessil A350 would be nice, but is not fully controllable. A360 even better, but would be $500+ to get it and a controller.

Do you have the link, I haven't heard of that one.

"The Cove"?

Are you planning on keeping dolphins and killing them for meat in this 30 gallon tank?

Hahaha, I forgot about that documentary. Planning not to kill anything in the process.

Wow! I am thoroughly impressed! That DIY turned out great.

I'm very much looking forward to this build. I'm really hoping to see some pictures soon ;)

So I took your advice and did a simple mod to the overflow. I used a flat razor and slid it around and pulled the overflow piece right off. I then made a small piece of acrylic and siliconed it on the back side to allow the water to run down the middle of the basket. I won't silicone the piece back on so I can slide it on and off.

post-80254-0-56609100-1390272871_thumb.jpg

So I took your advice and did a simple mod to the overflow. I used a flat razor and slid it around and pulled the overflow piece right off. I then made a small piece of acrylic and siliconed it on the back side to allow the water to run down the middle of the basket. I won't silicone the piece back on so I can slide it on and off.

Very well done!

Do you have the link, I haven't heard of that one.

nanoboxreef.com Dave is a sponsor and active member here. His lights appear to be top notch.

• Like 1

nanoboxreef.com Dave is a sponsor and active member here. His lights appear to be top notch.

Awesome! Thnx for the info. I looked at their double light for a 24" cube it's $450 plus another $50 for the controller. Seems like all the awesome lights run around the same price. Another light that looks promising is by reefbreeders $329 shipped but would have to make a bracket since hanging is not an option. http://www.reefbreeders.com/it2060.html

Changed up the scape again, did a test fit in the tank. Need some opinions.

Also the stand should be done any day now can't wait to get this tank wet!

post-80254-0-52408200-1390805468_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A picture of my custom built stand, almost finished. Still needs the door mounted, flute casing on each end and some added molding on the sides, then paint. Super stoked!!

post-80254-0-28565900-1390884037_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

An update on my stand, paint is finished. Hopefully Friday will be game time. :-)

Stand looks exceptional, as does the build. Looking forward to seeing it all together.

• Like 1

The stand is completely finished, I took it home and placed it in my den/office where it will sit in the center of the wall. The build came out exceptioinal, I had to wait about three weeks or so to have it built. If you are from southern California I highly recommend this builder his company name is Vals Aquarium Stands. I paid $160, he even placed a shelf inside for me and added all the molding and trim.

Stand looks exceptional, as does the build. Looking forward to seeing it all together.
Thanks "Hey" I appreciate it, I'll be working on it tonite amd during the weekend. I have to start the cycling process, its going to kill me having to wait as it seems like I've been waiting forever to get this tank running.

post-80254-0-11823800-1391743247_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
I see your in ca where did you purchase this tank for so cheap! Please pm me !!!

Hey Bob,

I picked it up at Global Aquatics in Ontario. I'm kind of a regular there. The tank itself was a display out of the box however it was brand new and didn't have any water in it. I was glad I was able to save some money as there is still a lot of equipment I want to buy. I'll be heading there today since I was short on salt water when trying to set it up last night.

Heres an overall pic with the razor light on. Im keeping only the whites on for now and only 4 hours a day. Channel B is off completely since it has a UV light and I don't want to kill off the beneficial bacteria in the early cycling stages.

DSC01759.JPG

Also, I have noticed the Jaebo 3500 pump is extremely noisy right now. I may try to pad it or do something to quiet the pump down, otherwise i'm afraid its going to go back for an exchange. What other return pumps does everyone suggest for a 30 gallon, I've read that the Mag pumps are pretty good.

looks good!

Thanks Gramophone! I noticed some small issues when setting up my jbj. Not sure if you experienced the same. Hopefully JBJ has already fixed these issues.

The first was just with packaging, the glass top was taped to the bottom and side of the tank. Which took nearly an hour to completely scrape the adhesive away with a razor. The second issue I noticed was the fittings for the return nozzles were extremely loose. I had to use some screen mesh in between the fittings to get them to fit tight so they wouldn't come apart once the pump was turned on. The third was the glass panels for the canopy seemed too small for the clips that came with the tank. I'm debating using some silicone to keep the clips in place. All in all, these were all minor issues and the tank in general looks very nice.

I'm still having issues with my upgrade pump being noisy, I think I may exchange it if I can find my receipt.