Top Shelf Aquatics

FamousDan's 30 Gallon JBJ RL- NEW VIDEO

famousdan314

famousdan314

Random I know. But I found this pic I took of a cold water display at the Long Beach Aquarium. Makes me contimplate a temperate tank some day.

post-80254-0-72037300-1405816710_thumb.jpg

famousdan314

I kind of feel like i'm talking to myself on here but whatever! I finally caught my sixline wrasse!!! :happydance:

You have no idea how relieved I was to get him out of my tank. I attempted a couple times to add new tank mates and they were killed within 24 hours. I had to use the DIY fish trap technique with a large water bottle, I cut it in half then cut off the top at the neck and placed the cone inside the bottle. I drilled two tiny holes on each side of the bottle and then secured it with fishing line. I placed a small rock inside to keep it weighted down and then waited patiently. I didn't feed the fish all day so he'd be hungry. I soaked mysis in garlic and then squirted it to the bottom of the trap. After about 10 minutes, the curiosity and hunger got the best of my six line. Within minutes of removing my six line, my purple firefish goby came out. He normally only comes out to eat since he constantly gets harassed.

So off to the fish store I went! My lfs is awesome and hooks me up with store credit, I got a juvenile yellow coris wrasse and a midas blenny.

Very nice!!! I'm glad the trap worked for you. I wanted a sixline badly until I started reading a bunch of horror stories. It seems like they do much better in tanks on the bigger side. Those are both beautiful fish you just picked up, at the lfs I worked at we would carry both regularly.

• Like 1
famousdan314

Very nice!!! I'm glad the trap worked for you. I wanted a sixline badly until I started reading a bunch of horror stories. It seems like they do much better in tanks on the bigger side. Those are both beautiful fish you just picked up, at the lfs I worked at we would carry both regularly.

Thanks, i absolutely love the yellow corris wrasse such an awesome and peaceful addition, constantly hunting pods. He ate some mysis today. I'm afraid the bi-color midas blenny has to go though. Today i caught him nipping at my sps. I put him up on the Livestock forum hopefully someone interested can grab him. I had no idea Blenny fish nipped coral but apparently the bi-color midas is notorious at that. Wished i would have known earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Danny what a sweet setup! I just noticed on my tank thread that you asked about my green clown goby...I missed your post, sorry I didn't answer you.

I have had not a single incident of him bothering anything...he does love to perch on the macro algae or on other corals, but has never nipped them. He just hops around. Stays camouflaged for the most part. But comes out to feed....I love him, cute little guy. GET ONE!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Icanhazcheeseburger

Great build Dan! Read this whole thread because I'm contemplating on upgrading my 6g Fluval Edge into this! Love the whole process you went through...felt like i lived it with you as I too experienced some of your problems ha!

But I love to know how your tank is holding up right now with the new editions and coral growth for your SPS...Quick question as well...how do you feel about putting a mandarin in the 30g after adding live sand/rubblerock/chaeto in the back refugium? I plan on putting my True perc clowns + adding a mandarin into this set up...Also do you suggest any other lighting besides the lighting for SPS growth thats under $250?? (Your lighting looks great in your tank shots btw)

Keep the pics coming!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
famousdan314
Danny what a sweet setup! I just noticed on my tank thread that you asked about my green clown goby...I missed your post, sorry I didn't answer you.

I have had not a single incident of him bothering anything...he does love to perch on the macro algae or on other corals, but has never nipped them. He just hops around. Stays camouflaged for the most part. But comes out to feed....I love him, cute little guy. GET ONE!

Hey squishy, thanks for getting back to me. Yeah I still have room for maybe 1 or 2 more fish. I'm looking at a perching fish and was thinking even maybe a hawkfish but then would be scared for my shrimps..lol. I'll have to check in at my lfs to see if they get any in.

famousdan314
Great build Dan! Read this whole thread because I'm contemplating on upgrading my 6g Fluval Edge into this! Love the whole process you went through...felt like i lived it with you as I too experienced some of your problems ha!

But I love to know how your tank is holding up right now with the new editions and coral growth for your SPS...Quick question as well...how do you feel about putting a mandarin in the 30g after adding live sand/rubblerock/chaeto in the back refugium? I plan on putting my True perc clowns + adding a mandarin into this set up...Also do you suggest any other lighting besides the lighting for SPS growth thats under $250?? (Your lighting looks great in your tank shots btw)

Keep the pics coming!

Hey Jay, thanks for the compliments, the tank is coming along nicely. Sometimes I envy some of the members on here being able to fill their tank with crazy cool corals in like a week. I've been slowly adding frags. As far as the light I truly feel the maxspect razor is the best bang for your buck. It's about $40 over your budget but it's better to get a light you won't have to upgrade or change later. I like the programmability of it and the corals all seem happy. Other than that I suggest browsing the hardware section on this forum and pick up a lightly used fixture to stay on budget. I've seen some good deals.

My growth has been good on corals, as far as sps I have a red monti that is growing nicely and a pink birdsnest. The birdsnest is fairly new so not too much growth yet. I have a blue acro but it started bleaching out I'm assuming because of light acclimation. Other than that I've had a boom in coraline algae growth and my mushroom corals are growing like crazy.

As far as the Mandarin, it can be done. However, I would wait about six months for the tank to get established with a healthy pod population. waiting helps just in case you get a finicky eater that won't take to prepared foods.

• 3 weeks later...

My combo rock with ZOA's and plays is melting. I'm thinking its possibly bacterial or something of that nature. I fresh water dipped the rock as well as a plug with other ZOA's that appear affected. Hopefully they will recover but it doesn't look good. Frustrating, but that's what I get for not dipping my ZOA's. I heard they are pretty prone to diseases and pests.

I realized today that the new nem I picked up is in fact a maxi mini carpet nem and not a rock flower nem. Although I read that the care level is almost identical only real difference is the way they reproduce.

post-80254-0-81559800-1411363038_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan, I've been following you since the start of your 30 gal tank. You actually inspired me to have the exact same build. I kid you not I copied everything you have stand, light, sand, live rock (except your rock setup and the livestock inside the tank. LOL Please keep posting updates on any changes you do with this tank, water levels etc.. Great job man!

• Like 1
Hi Dan, I've been following you since the start of your 30 gal tank. You actually inspired me to have the exact same build. I kid you not I copied everything you have stand, light, sand, live rock (except your rock setup and the livestock inside the tank. LOL Please keep posting updates on any changes you do with this tank, water levels etc.. Great job man!

Hey Searey, thanks for the kind words. Everything has been pretty status quo lately. To be honest I check salinity before and after water changes and only check my other levels every couple of months or if something appears to be off.

I'm very conservative when it comes to dosing. I currently dose Seachem two part dosing daily. I supplement iodide for my soft corals daily about 9 drops per day. Weekly I use purple up about 4ml to boost coraline algae. I'll post some new pictures soon. Shoot me a link to your build would love to see how your tank is coming along.

famousdan314
I really like this tank, reminds me a lot of my original scape before I tore it all appart to catch a wrasse haha. The clown pair is cute.

Thank you RollaJase! I'm glad you like it, your cube is pretty epic, I'm digging the pillar sps scape you got going.

• Like 1

Hi Dan and thank you for replying back. I have a question for you. Right now I'm currently using 2 par38 bulbs (6white/6atnic blue) for my 30 JBJ RL tank. I see you have the Maxspect Razor R420R 60 watt? Do you have the 8000K, 10000K or 16000K? I'll post a link soon on my setup.

Following this thread for a while. Nice work Dan! I have pretty much the exact same set up as well. One question, how well are your SPS doing? I tried SPS and none of them fared well under the Maxspect 60w. I'm keeping LPS and softies and they are doing great for the most part. I would step up to the 120w but I just can't swallow the $425 price tag. I suspect I'd be able to keep anything under that. Anyways, great looking tank!

• Like 1
famousdan314
Hi Dan and thank you for replying back. I have a question for you. Right now I'm currently using 2 par38 bulbs (6white/6atnic blue) for my 30 JBJ RL tank. I see you have the Maxspect Razor R420R 60 watt? Do you have the 8000K, 10000K or 16000K? I'll post a link soon on my setup.

I have the 16000K unit, which is better because you can always get a warmer color from your light by dimming the channel B blue and violet leds.

famousdan314
Would it be worth it bumping up to the 120w Maxspect?

I think that's totally up to you, depending if you have a specific budget and what kind of livestock you're planning on keeping.

famousdan314
Following this thread for a while. Nice work Dan! I have pretty much the exact same set up as well. One question, how well are your SPS doing? I tried SPS and none of them fared well under the Maxspect 60w. I'm keeping LPS and softies and they are doing great for the most part. I would step up to the 120w but I just can't swallow the $425 price tag. I suspect I'd be able to keep anything under that. Anyways, great looking tank!

Hey dbraunst, I mainly have LPS and softies. I have a single frag of pink birdsnest that hasnt shown much growth, however still looks healthy. My Monti, has close to doubled in size though. I think my tank will continue to be LPS and soft coral dominated however I may attempt another sps frag in the near future. I had a blue acro that I had mounted high up in the tank and it appeared as though the led light may have bleached it, however it could have been other factors that led to its slow demise. Best of luck with your tank!