Top Shelf Aquatics

FamousDan's 30 Gallon JBJ RL- NEW VIDEO

famousdan314

I feel your pain on the loud pump, I fought with mine for a while until I ended up sanding the face where the impeller touches the pump and also placing a ziploc bag of sand under the pump to dampen vibrations. The noise level dropped significantly over about 2 days aswell so I am happy with it.

• Like 1
Very nice work on the stand
Thanks Jeeper! I can't take credit for building it since I contracted someone, but I really love the way it came out and the custom look of it. It sits at 38" high which is awesome for viewing and adds extra storage space below.

I feel your pain on the loud pump, I fought with mine for a while until I ended up sanding the face where the impeller touches the pump and also placing a ziploc bag of sand under the pump to dampen vibrations. The noise level dropped significantly over about 2 days aswell so I am happy with it.
Thanks Hey, I may have to try that trick. Yesterday I placed some filter foam on the bottom and sides that seemed to help. I've also heard that sometimes the pumps take a few days to break in. So I'm hoping it will slowly get quieter, otherwise I may opt to exchange the pump for a Rio 2500.

Thanks Jeeper! I can't take credit for building it since I contracted someone, but I really love the way it came out and the custom look of it. It sits at 38" high which is awesome for viewing and adds extra storage space below.

Thanks Hey, I may have to try that trick. Yesterday I placed some filter foam on the bottom and sides that seemed to help. I've also heard that sometimes the pumps take a few days to break in. So I'm hoping it will slowly get quieter, otherwise I may opt to exchange the pump for a Rio 2500.

Well I would not suggest a mag 7 even though the flowrate would be similar. I have heard sicce syncras are absolutely silent initially and get louder with time although I am not sure what that time frame is.

• Like 1

Well I would not suggest a mag 7 even though the flowrate would be similar. I have heard sicce syncras are absolutely silent and get louder with time although I am not sure what that time frame is.

Good to know, I'll make sure to update if the pump breaks in and quiets down or if I end up replacing it. I think the biggest problem with these AIO tanks is most return pumps fit too snug in the back chamber. I guess that's why JBJ was running two small pumps instead of one large pump.

• Like 1

I have both a mag 5 and Sicce 1.5, both are quality pumps, well built. i will say that the Sicce is a good bit smaller and would probably be the better choice for your set-up. To match the output of your Jebao i would recommend either a 2.0 or 3.0 pump.

Tank looks great by the way, really dig the rock scape you got going. Good luck with the tank and keep us posted on your pump situation

• Like 1

FTS 02/11/2014 DAY 5

DSC01765.JPG

Added a Piece of Live rock from my other tank and it happened to have a red mushroom attached. Hopefully it'll survive the cycle. I didnt wan't to remove it from the rock as it has attached itself pretty well.

DSC01771.JPG

• Like 1

I bet it will, That 1 piece of rock can probably process 4ppm of ammonia pretty fast, it looks quite mature.

I sure hope so, the rock has been in my other tank for about a year and has some nice coralline algae growth, I bought it from someone tearing down their reef tank before it went into mine. So no bad hitchhikers should be found. I spotted a small reef crab also that came along for the ride as well as several tiny snails maybe 15, most likely offspring about the size of a large grain of crushed coral.

I tackled another lil DIY project. I cut apart one of the stock media baskets and glued in one egg crate shelf and made a very simple floss filter holder. This will go on the opposite overflow as my custom media basket just to catch debris before hitting the protein skimmer. This was super easy to do, took a whole 15 minutes.

post-80254-0-90261500-1392186676_thumb.jpg

post-80254-0-98741100-1392186699_thumb.jpg

I need some stocking suggestions! I need to put together a list. So far I have two scarlet reef hermits in the tank. Not entirely sure what my params are quiet yet, I ordered a test kit and it was supposed to have arrived already. I don't see any diatoms or algae kicking off yet. So hopefully in a couple of weeks we can add some fish.

Did a couple of water tests mainly checking nitrates, over the last two days they went from 5ppm to about 2ppm. I performed a small water change of about 5 gallons. I added some more of the cycling bacteria and then added another piece of live rock. The tank appears to be doing very well. The second piece of live rock had some green star polyps growing on it. I also moved over a two mouth florida ricordea. So far all of the corals are open and appear to be doing very well. I will do another nitrate test, I am assuming it will probably read close to zero. I'll be moving over some more critters a little at a time and plan on getting a Fire Shrimp also.

NEW FTS 02-18-14

DSC01790.JPG

Top View

DSC01792.JPG

Left View

DSC01791.JPG

Bottom Right View

DSC01781.JPG

Ricordea

DSC01788.JPG

Encrusting Green Star Polyps

DSC01786.JPG

• Like 1

A new addition, finally moved over my duncan it has six heads now (It had two when I bought it), and picked up a fire shrimp. The shrimp appears to be doing very well although a little shy right now.

DSC01798.jpg

Fire Shrimp, I think one of his legs are broken/missing but I am sure it will come back with the next molt.

DSC01807.jpg

• Like 1

Checked on the tanks this morning everytyhing is looking great, all the corals look healthy and the fire shrimp is moving around a little more. Hopefully next week I'll be going to the wholesale distributor in LA for some coral and fish. . . like a kid in the willy wonka chocolate factory. :-)

DSC01819.jpg

Added my Green Hammer, hoping it will grow out. I'm slowly acclimating the corals in the sand bed before finding a more permanent spot for them. My Duncan coral appears to be responding great to the LED's. So far I am pretty impressed with the Maxspect Razr.

• Like 1

I ordered a WP-10 wave pump on Amazon. Talk about a great deal $56 with the controller. Completely separate note, the mark up on Equipment at almost all the LFS is pretty ridiculous. I understand the whole supporting your local store thing, but when they are asking $40 over what I can pay online with free shipping, its a no brainer.

• Like 1

I have both a mag 5 and Sicce 1.5, both are quality pumps, well built. i will say

that the Sicce is a good bit smaller and would probably be the better choice for your set-up. To match the output of your Jebao i would recommend either a 2.0 or 3.0 pump. Tank looks great by the way, really dig the rock scape you got going. Good luck with the tank and keep us posted on your pump situation

I have decided to keep the pump after all. It sounds like it broke in pretty well and is relatively silent. well in actuality, Im not sure if it broke in or if it was the fact that i removed the base and placed some thick foam to pad all around the pump. I think it was a combination of both, I am however, very happy with the amount of flow I am getting. I'll make sure to post an update after I add the WP-10 jebao wave pump.

Legendary Corals

Love the tank and the scape! What testing kit did you get? I highly recommend salifert, you'll always end up sticking with it.

A lot of people order their clean up crew from reefcleaners. But... he definitely sends you a lot more than you need. LOL

• Like 2
famousdan314

Love the tank and the scape! What testing kit did you get? I highly recommend salifert, you'll always end up sticking with it.

A lot of people order their clean up crew from reefcleaners. But... he definitely sends you a lot more than you need. LOL

I've just been using my API reef master kit since that was what I was using for my 8 gallon pico, however I have been thinking of purchasing a new kit. Thanks for the recommendation I'll look into the salifert, I've also heard the red sea test kit is fairly decent too.

As far as clean up crew, I have 2 electric blue hermits, 2 scarlet red hermits, and a fire shrimp. No snails quiet yet. I tested my water after a water change yesterday and it looks like the cycle is complete. I may add a single fish today or tomorrow, I love the idea of a flame angel or coral beauty, but I have LPS. I'm not sure if I want to chance it. Do you have any recommendations for stocking on this size tank.

Here's a couple shots of the hermits from yesterday.

DSC01821.JPG

DSC01835.JPG

• Like 2
famousdan314

The WP-10 arrived today! Talk about fast shipping, I just ordered it Thursday. When I get a little free time I am planning on making a short video. The pump looks even smaller than my Koralia Nano 425 pump, I'm super stoked to get this in my tank.

Love the tank and the scape!

Sorry just realized I didn't thank you in my reply. I appreciate the compliments! I have high hopes to making this into an amazing slice of ocean, it's been quite a journey so far.

post-80254-0-27720800-1393732985_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
famousdan314

So I said I would make a short video/review for the jebao wp10 wave pump. I am very impressed with this small pump. It took me a while to play with the settings to get the right wave, probably because I didn't read the manual at first..haha. Once I read the manual and learned the functions on the controller I was able to get the desired wave motion. Like I mentioned in the video the display area is probably close to 20 gallons. So if you have anything larger then I would recommend getting the WP-25. The pump itself is very quiet, if you hear any background noise its probably my return pump.

Here's the link, hope this helps other people decide on whether this pump is for you. Enjoy.

• Like 1
famousdan314

I picked up a six line wrasse yesterday, he hid in the rocks immediately after adding him. Today he was out and about. I'll try to take a picture of him soon. He's doing well as the first fish addition to the tank.

• Like 1
famousdan314

Still haven't had any luck on getting a clean shot of the six line. However, got an early birthday present and picked up a Potters Angel fish. I am almost positive it's a female unless the coloration changes as most males have a completely dark blue belly. I think I am about done with my fish stocking for now. I also added a couple more pieces of live rock and a green bta.

DSC01865.JPG

• Like 3

Im thinking of setting up a tank very similar to this (RL30/Nano Razor) have you gotten any par readings or found a thread that has results? My hope is to keep some easier SPS once the tank matures a bit, maybe a red monti cap, pink birds nest, nothing to expensive, but dont want to invest in a light that wont grow them. Tank looks awesome BTW!

• Like 1