Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

Legend of the seas to Hawaii May 14th...10 days from Ensenada MX to around the islands then 4 days with brother in Honolulu....can't wait!

oh please bring back many pictures!!!!! I know all your fishy friends here will want to see them.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The challenge will be getting folks to come help with the tank while we're gone! 14 days!!!!!!!

No problem, my hubby is a Nikon fanatic!

Hey Gena, the Duncan is still around recovered even and the smaller head is coming back also. One other head looks like its trying but it might have been too damaged. But I think it'll be fine eventually, so wanted it to look like the huge colonies I see online. But it may take longer. I am very pleased with the Bounce mushroom I just got along with the Bam Bams too. Now to just do maintenance with the new glue to get everything down.

That's awesome news!!!!!! I probably jumped the gun when mine started to decline :blush:.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DISASTER! IM nuvo glass strikes again! Have buckets with stressed fish and coral so bleeding has at least stopped. Now to decide if I run down to the lfs (major bucks) and purchase another system and what type to get? Hubby, bless 'im, says we should shift to sump system, too much invested for another closed system...what to do, majorly stressed, cannot think.

I have the newer generation, that was verified. AND it is just (January 20th) out of warranty so we didn't even call IM. Todd is at lfs purchasing a BioCube 29 with stand for $500. This was the quickest cheapest fix we could do. Just waiting.

All livestock seem o.k. now I guess we just wait to see if Ich rears its nasty head due to stress.....wonder I don't get white spots on me!!!!!!

Should I transfer some of the sand into the new tank or will the live rock do the trick? This was a drastic way to tackle the cyano battle I've been waging, but here's my chance to get rid of the sand bed at least!

I thnk I have at least 10 gals of the old water left in the buckets...think I'll have a cycle? I have all the bacteria I need from Dr Tim to kick start the bac.

Yikes! Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you've got it going and hopefully not many casualties of anything. I'd use some old sand along w/ new, and the rock of course. You may have a mini cycle.

Hey Annette, yes, I did along with about 7 gal. of old tank water. So far no cycle but of course its only been 12 hours or so since we set up and transfered. Everyone seems happy but the leather and he always is pissy! I am kinda struggling to understand the bio balls in this system. I know they take the place of a pellet reactor, which I just bought! and nothing fits in the rear. When I get the skimmer which is a Ghost Skimmer into the rear, the pump doesn't draw the water correctly.

I will have to take today to study up and see how people have moded theirs...would hate to think I can't use it all in this new one. I had a stronger pump on order for the reactor so have to send that back, no longer need it.

What a day, I feel like someone beat me with a stick!

So sorry to hear about your crack..... of course I mean the crack in your tank, that is so scary I have the same one.

The new one looks really good and of course more room for corals

Thanks guys/gals...came home tonight and the only things wrong are...one of the nems is on walkabout and neither of them ever move! But no worries, I'll just let him enjoy for a while. And...I can't find Gempy, my 4 armed red knobby star. He was in the bucket and when I transferred everything, I didn't find him, so I assumed he was in the rock somewhere, but can't find him now. Hope I didn't bury him under one! Everything else looks good. I am just running the stock stuff in the new tank and have those bio balls in there, but was researching today as to how to put Daves light under the hood and install my skimmer and hopefully have room for my new reactor which I just got and barely had 2 days to use before the failure.

Otherwise, I think all is well. still will be testing for the bad stuff for a few days.

Tess and Ellie: I was looking into getting the Biocube a couple months ago because I was so spooked and ultimately decided to give the IM a chance and wait it out. Now I see I should have done it then. Would've saved a lot of labor and water everywhere, plus less stressful for everyone...and now its out of warranty. :(:( My hubby still wants me to contact them to see if they'll send me the 20 fusion, but from what I've read, that is practically an impossibility...but I suppose I should try just to let them know another one bit the dust at least!

Hey, I just saw a post asking to post if you have a IM tank that cracked. You might as well add yours, sadly.

I like your tank here. Everything looks happy- toadstool, euphylia, bta.

Thanks guys/gals...came home tonight and the only things wrong are...one of the nems is on walkabout and neither of them ever move! But no worries, I'll just let him enjoy for a while. And...I can't find Gempy, my 4 armed red knobby star. He was in the bucket and when I transferred everything, I didn't find him, so I assumed he was in the rock somewhere, but can't find him now. Hope I didn't bury him under one! Everything else looks good. I am just running the stock stuff in the new tank and have those bio balls in there, but was researching today as to how to put Daves light under the hood and install my skimmer and hopefully have room for my new reactor which I just got and barely had 2 days to use before the failure.

Otherwise, I think all is well. still will be testing for the bad stuff for a few days.

Tess and Ellie: I was looking into getting the Biocube a couple months ago because I was so spooked and ultimately decided to give the IM a chance and wait it out. Now I see I should have done it then. Would've saved a lot of labor and water everywhere, plus less stressful for everyone...and now its out of warranty. :(:( My hubby still wants me to contact them to see if they'll send me the 20 fusion, but from what I've read, that is practically an impossibility...but I suppose I should try just to let them know another one bit the dust at least!

#### that...you should ask. Your gen 2 break was the last straw for me...will not risk setting mine up and I already asked for the swap.

Starfish is MIA still. The only coral not opening is my GSP and I miss my little forest of that. But the matt looks fine, I think they're just pissy.

No cycle apparent now. Today, I will speak with IM about it and see what they say.

One good thing, it forced me to a bigger tank! Would I have room for that baby yellow tang,....don't pound me!

And now begins the long journey to get everything just right again, skimmer still not back in, I've been studying BC mods all over the place. I like the stock lights, but I need the Nano Box!! I can't go away with these lights....not automated. It seems like so much work to get it under the hood though! I need to talk to Dave about how to go about that. Today I plan to at least get the media basket in and I have to remove the bio balls. I'll have to start a thread about those, whether to just operate with them instead of the reactor and if I use it I will have to replumb it to go under the tank and that spooks me as well, now I'm really scared of leaks!@! UGH! the thought of all the work exhausts me already.....

As I stood looking at the mess 2 days ago, it was almost a deal breaker..........

Oh and the scape needs more tweeking, I've played a little but some rocks need twisting this way and that and the dumb bta has moved into the very crevice I was planning on basing one. :angry:

Yes, take out the bioballs.

I have a heater in chamber 1, media basket (filter floss, carbon, phoslock) and skimmer in chamber 2, and my thermometer in chamber 3. All seems well for me!

Becci, I am new to this forum (this is my first post) and new to reef keeping. I too have the Nuvo 16 which I set up on 2/9/15. I found your thread and started following you the day following my setup. I have thoroughly enjoyed and related to all your posts about your Nuvo. My heart just sank yesterday when I read that your tank cracked. I am so sorry that happened. I am now terrified that I too will lose mine. My tank is newly cycled and I now have two little clownfish, Marlin and Coral. I plan on waiting a bit to add corals but now I'm afraid to add anything else for fear of glass failure. My husband and I are afraid to even leave the house for any extended period of time. I called IM and talked to Royce. I told him that your tank (as well as many others) cracked and that you have the same setup as I do with the same power head as well. He was very nice but didn't offer much assurance. How could he really. So, I guess my only option for peace of mind is to buy another tank. I feel so overwhelmed with the task of switching everything over. This is definitely not a job for a "newbie" like me but somehow I'll manage with the help of this forum's knowledge. All my best for you and your new tank. I will continue to follow.

How cute, one of our favorite movies!

AND....yes, even after one year, I felt the same way day before yesterday! EEEEEEEEEEEEK! But I am a reactionary, so dumb! I come here and absolutely freek to everybody, then it always ends up not that bad...so stay calm and reef on.

The only suggestion I can give is if Royce will not offer to exchange your tank for a new fusion 20 even with some money , then save your money fast and buy a new tank. I really like this BioCube and you can go to the thread about them here to learn more...there have been very few and far between cracking, but cracking can happen with anything made of glass. I should have bought one as I said a month ago. That said, if your current tank doesn't crack how can you claim on the warranty? It's kinda Catch 22 situation.

I felt like it had a chance since it was gen2, But I was wrong. It is so stressful to face a transfer like this when you could do it so much more gracefully and stressless on your own time.

Have you invested in many other things for your Nuvo like the ghost skimmer...if you haven't...dont! it won't fit right in the proper location in the BioCube. So I'll probably have to buy theirs. And I just bought a skimmer, but that can be worked out with a replumb. What lights are you running. Hope they are stock and it won't hurt to lose them with the Nuvo. The stock lights are much better in the BioCube hood although I feel much better now that we have installed Dave's Nano Box in it. Works great, was much easier than I thought it would be and now I have two lighting systems both operational and can add more blue if I want. I don't think my corals would appreciate no Nano Box! So that would have to be a must for me.

The good thing about going ahead is that you can have the new tank up and running to transfer from tank to tank...so that will be a breeze....its the transferring to emergency containers and setting up heaters and pumps and stressing that something will die or get damaged whilst it is going on that is awful! Just do it....now!

When you get the new tank, no matter what brand it is, just do a big water change and put that water into the new tank along with fresh salt water and some bacteria, I like Dr Tims One and Only. And you might like to put a cup or two of the old sand in there, then start testing and it should take much less time to cycle. Then when you have the params right, go ahead and transfer.

Here are the pics of our retro fit of Nano Box Due into our BioCube hood:

We didn't even have to take anything out of the hood, so all appliances in the hood were not touched, we just took off the light cover, and after removing the light unit from the metal housing, we installed the Nano Box Duo with zip ties which were mounted on the additional LED fixtures already there:

IMG_0607-XL.jpg

The black empty space in the middle between the two square power bricks and the tubes is where we attached the Nano Box. We just slipped in a few "spacers" which were actually butter bean low voltage electrical connectors that were the perfect size to slip snugly into the heat sink and keep the fan away and free to circulate even better.

IMG_0608-L.jpg

IMG_0609-L.jpg

Then we just ran the cord out and down behind the outlet for the other wiring by cutting a small piece out of the grommet that insulates the light cover and then out the back of the hood. We simply drilled a hole and then snipped a piece out of the hole the BC wiring went through, pushed the Nano Box cord into it and voila done! Connected all the power and the Storm controller and we're in business, so proud of us!

IMG_0611-L.jpg

Working great:

IMG_0612-L.jpg

Archived