Cultivated Reef

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

FlowerMama

Looks like fun. I love those wrasses in there! They look so good in the wild, look brighter. I bet that water was so comfortable. That's cool that you could find life in low water like that. Didn't even need flippers or anything.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SquishyFishy

Yep amazing. The coral heads are so close to the surface it's amazing they do not bleach from too much light! Water was more than wonderful...mmmmmmm

SquishyFishy

New Fin Baby! Ruby Red Scooter Dragonette. Too cute....may call him Nute LOLzmnpjs.jpg

FlowerMama

He's a cutie. Hope he works out for ya. I tried but both mine passed and there were pods in insane numbers.

reefernanoman

All right, here is a video taken with our new GOPRO 4 Session...too Cool!

GOPR9737-M.jpg

OOPS forgot to turn off the skimmer!

That video was beautiful! Your tank is looking nice too.
SquishyFishy

Thx all....I got some new pods, all mine are huge so I thought he might like some itsy bitsies. But the guy at LFS said he was eating frozen just fine. Mysis. So I'll chop up some Mysis really fine with my trusty razor blade and try to set up a feeding station for him. He is gravitating to the left rear corner of the tank, nobody ever there so he's a loner. I will try to make a feeder that the shrimp won't go in. Jacques is an absolute pig!

Thx all....I got some new pods, all mine are huge so I thought he might like some itsy bitsies. But the guy at LFS said he was eating frozen just fine. Mysis. So I'll chop up some Mysis really fine with my trusty razor blade and try to set up a feeding station for him. He is gravitating to the left rear corner of the tank, nobody ever there so he's a loner. I will try to make a feeder that the shrimp won't go in. Jacques is an absolute pig!

Mine liked frozen cyclopeeze too. They are a nice teeny size and no chopping involved :).
SquishyFishy

-_- OMG the little guy was belly up this morning! :( He wasn't chewed on or anything. EVerybody else is fine, maybe the long ride from Austin...he had new baby pods too...wow no more fish for now!

SquishyFishy

Upon further investigation, pilot error! I had turned off the ATO at water change the day before I got the scooter. Forgot to turn it back on. So the water in the back sump was way low...sure the salt was tooo hi! plugged ATO back in and it must've pumped a full 1/2 gal. back in. Checked the salt this morning and it is 1.027 so still a little high....so it was me D)P(*&((&$#@6 it! Hate to make a mistake like that, but guess it happens to all of us! Boohoo! Think I'll just lay low for a while, no more new stuff.

Oh, so sorry. I know exactly how you feel ... I killed our ywg with paint fumes. Bad enough to lose a fish, but when it is our faul, oh, the guilt!!!

Hang in there.

FlowerMama

OH I know how you feel, when I bumped the lighting crate that had the Kessil light on it and I lost all my corals & nems & inverts that were in there. I was very hard on myself too. It''s an accident though and not the status quo of how things usually are. Sorry about your little one.

SquishyFishy

Well you know how God has a way of working things out. LIttle Ruby red is gone, but we finally caught the little kitten (1 of 5) that were born under our deck. Now she has become ours. She is about 7 weeks old. She is so cute and had a Siamese as her sire, evidently. She was the only one with this coloring, the others were orange tiger stripe. We call her Elsa because we were watching Born Free today and decided it would be a good name for our little lioness!

5ov1o7.jpg

SquishyFishy

Sorry Annette, been real busy, Todd had surgery last week.

Nope, in fact I've had several, but after the last one died a year and a half ago, I swore I'd never again. He was irreplaceable, but you know how these things just happen. She is a doll, a real lover, so its a done deal. I plan to make her an outdoor cat though, like Tip was. No kitty litter after we turn her out. Have to make sure she will come when called for meals. She is almost ready, maybe mid June. She has to be neutered too. But she's precious.

FlowerMama

Don't you ever get scared she won't come back as someone will start feeding her or she'll get run over? Oh gosh I'd worry too much. She looks to be a sweetheart.

SquishyFishy

Excuse me again Annette...lot going on, flooding everywhere down here! We are high and dry though, but getting places is tricky right now.

I'm a little worried, but our other cat we did the same way. He was also feral and he lived to be 17 yrs when he passed and only ran away a couple of times before we had him neutered. He was such a good kitty. So I expect we'll do her the same way. He had a cat door to our laundry and he'd come in for pets and luvin and mostly out he went. She has her shots/vaccination next week and then couple weeks later, the spay. When she recovers from that we will turn her lose and see what happens. She knows where her food is coming from and its all about food with feral cats.

Guess what? I was walking by the tank last night just before bed, the moon lights were on and my tank was completely clouded up!!! Freaked me at first but then I noticed the RBTAs were both emitting clouds of sperm! Yes, pumpin the stuff out every couple seconds. Couldn't believe how cloudy it made the tank! Fascinating! This morning it is crystal, so I guess the filter took care of most of it.

Does this mean I will see RBTA babies soon???

FlowerMama

hmmm. I have no idea how that works with rbtas. Mine just split. I've never seen my green acid bta emit anything. Hm. You may want to ask someone. It's not the same process.

SquishyFishy

Searched the boards and apparently they do spawn also, not just split. But it was said that you need 2 to create babies. Since I do have the 2 maybe I'll see some. It was wild watching it happen though.

FlowerMama

Cool, I guess time will tell. That's why I love this hobby. There's always more to know. I mostly just know about flowers. I know you'll keep us informed. Back to your recent vaca, what did you love the most when you snorkeled??

• 1 month later...
SquishyFishy

Never become complacent....or keep checking those numbers...or not, at your peril

I was just cruisin along, busy with other stuff not checking params much anymore...figured I knew what I was doing, right? Well, after almost all my shrimp, snails and now the brittle stars are missing, I figured out by testing that my ph had gone to h e double toothpics.

Dosed the tank up so now I'm at about 8.2. Gonna go get me some more inverts. Thank God the Sexies were able to withstand it. They are fine. And no wonder with the die off that my cyanno had gotten the best of me. Noticed that almost all of my purple coralline is gone!

Some of the corals didn't like it either. My frogspawn is withering away, only one head left now. And the Green Death palys are a mere shamble of their former glory. The mushrooms must love anything, they are spectacular but even the GSP has not been opening as much as they were. So the ph factor is so important and something we cannot forget about. I had been dosing Fusion 2 part but had let it slide to a couple times per week. Will stay on top of it from now on.

FlowerMama

Glad you caught it! I noticed my red monti in the 10g lost most of its color, was more like grey w/ a little pink. I did a 4g water change and it's turning red so fast w/in 2 days. Yeah, even in a little tank I need to do same. Just be consistent with doing water changes.

SquishyFishy

I am very consistent with WCs. Every 2 weeks or 1 1/2 weeks like clockwork.

I buffered the ph yestday and got it back to 8.2 but this morning its back at 7. something!!!! Dang, how could it be so quick?

I also put in an air stone just to be sure. turned it off for the night though. Will test again in an hour. I just hate this ph problem.

AND I have been dosing Red Sea's nitrate/phosphate drops and have Rowaphos in my media basket....don't know what else to do!!!!!!!!!!

Archived