SaltCritters.com

The Official Crab Stacking Thread!

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

So, I've noticed that my hermits have a tenancy to stand and chill on top of one another. Just for LOL's, share your photos of hermits or other inverts standing on top of one another. My record is three so far. Here are my shots:

CrabStack_zpsad548323.jpg

crabstacking20140114_zpsc3ada944.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, how cool! I've never seen more than two. I always thought it was just them trying to steal each others shells, or just general harassment lol

Mr. Microscope

LOL Nice pictures

Thanks Sunar!

Huh, how cool! I've never seen more than two. I always thought it was just them trying to steal each others shells, or just general harassment lol

I'm sure it's an ambush. If one decided that was the time to trade shells, the one behind would probably pounce.

Sometimes it's harassment, but sometimes they just sit on top of one another for no apparent reason. I've also noticed my blue legs socializing with each other in a civil manner. Four of them were just hanging out by each other the yesterday. No animosity and they weren't feasting on anything either.

Hah! Looks like the record is three hermits. Can anyone beat that?

I hope so. I was thinking about cheating the other day and trying to stack them manually. LOL! I know this is a bit of a novelty and I figured not many people have bothered to take pictures like this, but it'd be awesome to have this thread explode. Maybe it can turn into a local meme like people taking pictures of their cats with stuff stacked on top of them that was popular a couple years ago. :lol:
Mr. Microscope

Four of them were just hanging out by each other the yesterday. No animosity and they weren't feasting on anything either.

Here's the shot I grabbed while this was happening. Not quite crab stacking, but close. This was in the morning. So, perhaps they were sleeping. The fourth one is between the two on the left. You can see the shell, but not the crab.

crabhangout_zps71a76134.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

So, my toddler loves stickers. My wife got some sea themed ones and he made a collage.

http://s876.photobucket.com/user/Mr_Microscope/media/Theostickerart_zps6affadf6.jpg.html'>Theostickerart_zps6affadf6.jpg

Check out what he decided to do with all the crab stickers:

http://s876.photobucket.com/user/Mr_Microscope/media/Theocrabstack_zpscd746bf3.jpg.html'>Theocrabstack_zpscd746bf3.jpg

LOL! How's that for crab stacking?!

• 1 month later...
Mr. Microscope

Not quite crab stacking, but close.

And some actual crab stacking. Or maybe snails, its hard to tell at times.

Awesome! I won't discriminate. All stacking inverts are welcome here. Great shots!

What's in that first pic? Looks like eatin' crabs.

Mr. Microscope

Actually that first pic may not be appropriate for readers under 18... That would be my decorator crabs trying to have babies... which progresses to this

and then this

P1030247.jpg

Holy crap, that's awesome! So, you aquaculture them?

Where are you located? If you happen to be in the chicago area and do indeed breed these guys, I'd love to get one of the babies.

BTW, :welcome: to Nano-Reef! I see you just joined. Looks like you're an experienced aquarist already.

actually this was happening fairly accidentally. I wild collected the pair a little over 6 mo ago. I would love to set up a system to try and aquaculture them, but I have rather limited space, and they can hold onto a batch of eggs for 3 months...

Im a Florida guy, so thats a little far to meet up.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

They are pretty funny. :) I just knew they were going to fall. I had just enough time to turn the blues off and get the "before" picture. I will show it to all of their girlfriends when they get older ;)

Mr. Microscope

Haha! Perfect for this thread! That's one popular crab. Love the YCG action there.

Good catches! Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived