Pod Your Reef

Lumia 5.2 help for 125

badpanda07

I'm looking to replace my dual 250 watt my setup over my standard 125. I keep Sps in the center regions and softies and lps in the sand.

Later on I would like to do the dimmable makers drivers once I get the module for my apex.

Somebody please give me some input on this matter.

Here's the shopping list.

2x lumia 5.2

1x 12" makers heatsinkusa

180w 48 3.75A psu

5 700mah ldd drivers.

Q1. Can I get 2 of the 1000 ldd for channels 2&3 and still use the psu I have selected?

Q2. With the arrangement of coral in the tank would I maybe be able to use 1 5.2 per side? Keep in mind I'm only running 1 250w mh light per 32" and Sps love it.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? It been a while since I've done a led build and lost a lot of my knowledge. Thanks in advance

jedimasterben

You'll need more LEDs to light a standard 125g tank (72"x18"x24"). You'll need 3x of the 5.2 or you'll have some major shadowing and very low PAR areas across the tank (and by that I mean estimated at less than 50, which is less light than is present at ~25m). I measured PAR on the Lumia 5.1 (you can find that data here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328357-review-of-the-lumia-51-par-readings-pics-etc/?p=4361628 ). The 5.2 will have a bit less output overall. I'll have PAR numbers once I have one in my hands.

When moving from halides or T5HO to LEDs, using quality LEDs you want to use around half the total wattage as a ballpark number, and then tune the specifics from there.

The main intent is to use both 5.2s per side, so I would build 1 12" fixture with 2 lumia 5.2s and hang that over half the tank and then make my mind up on whether or not it was something I wanted.

I asked the second question just as a what if, I use to run a 40b with 5 10 watt multichips and kept sps no problems.

Any advice on question number 1? Jedi you seem to know your stuff from the other topics Ive read.

jedimasterben

Ah ok, gotcha. I would personally space them out more than 12" just for spread's sake, I would put them at the end of an 18" heatsink. Without lenses your sandbed will be kinda low in PAR anyway, no reason to keep them together and have areas be very low.

As long as you don't go over the 45v output of the LDD you are ok. Keep in mind, though, that channels one, four, and five can't be run over 700mA due to the violet and cyan chips.

Ah ok, gotcha. I would personally space them out more than 12" just for spread's sake, I would put them at the end of an 18" heatsink. Without lenses your sandbed will be kinda low in PAR anyway, no reason to keep them together and have areas be very low.

As long as you don't go over the 45v output of the LDD you are ok. Keep in mind, though, that channels one, four, and five can't be run over 700mA due to the violet and cyan chips.

thats why i only want 2 1000 amp drivers. I may do the lenses but I only keep my sps up high and lower light corals down low obviously. thanks for your quick response jedi.

jedimasterben

No worries, man.

Yes, to figure out the power supply requirement, you just add up the wattage. For two of the 5.2, with all channels at absolute maximum current (so 1500mA on ch2 & ch3), they're still only like 80w each, so the 180w one is plenty for two.

Archived