Pod Your Reef

10K Ohm 1/2 W potentiometer

cslynch

I also sent this question directly to ledgroupbuy. I hope this doesn't count as cross-posting.

I just got done with a build using 14 cree 3W LEDs behind an Inventronics 42W driver and 10K Ohm 1/2 W pot. The center pin on the pot seems to be loose as I have to put tension on the wire to get the driver to dim. Solder joint is good so I'm relatively sure it is the pot. So I'll have to replace the pot...probably just going to run out to Radio Shack to avoid shipping/hassle.

But my real question is when the pot is dimmed completely should that be enough resistance to shut the lights off? The lights currently go from bright to 'pretty dim' but not completely off. I'm wondering if when I pick up the new pot should I also grab a switch for the LED circuit to shut the lights off? Or will a functional pot be able to dim the lights to off?

Thanks in advance for the help.

jedimasterben

Inventronics drivers are only able to dim to around 11% of their maximum current. You need a relay to turn them off, or you'd need to use drivers like Meanwell LDD and a controller to get them to shut off without a relay.

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply!

Can I put a switch in-line with the LED circuit instead of using a relay? So I would go inventronics +lead to switch to LED...LED, etc. to inventronics -lead. So throwing the switch would break the DC circuit and turn off lights but the AC feed to the driver would remain. Or would that damage the driver?

Archived