Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

To optic, or not to optic?

Tom@HaslettMI

Tom@HaslettMI

I'm adding six HV LEDs (http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/exotic-hyper-violet-led-430nm/) to my 75 gallon reef light set up and am wondering if I should use the 80* optics I purchased. The LEDs sit about 10" off the water surface and it is a standard 75 gallon tank (21" tall). I currently run 10 3-ups without optics and recently added 4 OCWs and 4 cool blues all with 90* optics. Any input is appreciated. Please let me know if I missed any pertinent information.

Thanks,

Tom

jedimasterben

I would. More light in the tank and you wont be able to see any spotlighting from them, but you wont really notice anything from just six of them unless they're the only LEDs on.

jedimasterben

I've got the same problem. There is a little piece of shit solder joint to one side of them that keeps the lens holder from sitting flush on the board. I had to end up cutting part of the holder out with a razor blade. It sits less tight up against the LED, but the silicone is what's supposed to hold it, anyway.

Tom@HaslettMI

I was suspicious of that little bit of solder myself. Looks like I need to get the X-acto knife out and start hacking (the optic that is).

While I have you... I'm easing my corals in to the HVs. I have them running at 15% w/o optics at the moment. Generally speaking, how quickly should I increase PAR values? I was thinking about bumping up 5% each week until I reach target PAR. Is that too slow or too fast?

Thanks,

Tom

jedimasterben

You only six over the whole tank, they aren't going to affect PAR by any significant amount, so you're fine to bump them up to 100% immediately.

Archived