inTank Media Baskets

Arce's Tank

Arce

So a crane collapsed in NYC today right near where i work. I walk on that street to get to my job. I would have been there if i didn't call out sick... Crazy :wacko:

• Like 4

So a crane collapsed in NYC today right near where i work. I walk on that street to get to my job. I would have been there if i didn't call out sick... Crazy :wacko:

that's crazy. good thing you called out.

• Like 1

that's crazy. good thing you called out.

Im like floored right now, cant believe it. Usually i would have been on my jobsite earlier, like 7am, but i was running late and then with the snow i just said screw it and called out. It fell around 8:30 which is when i probably would have gotten there if i went in.

Good thing!

• Like 1

Im like floored right now, cant believe it. Usually i would have been on my jobsite earlier, like 7am, but i was running late and then with the snow i just said screw it and called out. It fell around 8:30 which is when i probably would have gotten there if i went in.

Thats crazy... glad you called out. I didnt bother going in today either the roads were just too sketchy.

• Like 2

Thats crazy... glad you called out. I didnt bother going in today either the roads were just too sketchy.

Yea the snows one of the reasons i ended up calling it. Crazy.

Good god! That's frightening! I saw that on the news. Jeff was supposed to be down there today too but his meeting got cancelled.

• Like 1

So i threw in 3 peppermint shrimps to try to knock out some of this aiptasia. If they don't touch them I'm going to throw these damn rocks out and start fresh on the scape. Soooo many aiptasia.

Give them a little more time maybe? Although I just saw a video on FB where there was a huge ass aiptasia and 3-4 peps and they basically annihilated it in 3 seconds. :o

Giving them a couple weeks, maybe a month. If i get new rocks though im going to have to cook them anyway to avoid a cycle, so maybe 2 months. Idk, theres just so many aiptasia to try to manually eradicate them

Peppermints haven't moved from under my rock, even at night i stalked the tank a few times and they haven't budged. They better get to work or I'm going to blow this tank up...

• Like 1

Peppermints haven't moved from under my rock, even at night i stalked the tank a few times and they haven't budged. They better get to work or I'm going to blow this tank up...

You need to give them a couple of weeks. In my 150 it took a month but now they are all over the tank at night and even come out for food at times when lights are on. They are very skittish. I just introduced 5 to my 40 and they have not moved for 2 days. It just takes time. Berghia are even slower.

It would not hurt to nuke a few of your larger aptasia. This seemed to kick start my peppermints who inspected and then cleaned what remained the next night.

Mine are super shy when first in the tank, but I can speed up the process by feeding them that first night or the next day. Once the food's gone, they go looking for aiptasia.

You need to give them a couple of weeks. In my 150 it took a month but now they are all over the tank at night and even come out for food at times when lights are on. They are very skittish. I just introduced 5 to my 40 and they have not moved for 2 days. It just takes time. Berghia are even slower.

It would not hurt to nuke a few of your larger aptasia. This seemed to kick start my peppermints who inspected and then cleaned what remained the next night.

Ive been looking into options for taking some of them out. My scape isnt movable, its all mortared together. I could take the SPS off and pull the rock, put it in a holding tank and go to town on them but thats alot of work...

• Like 1

I looked into berghias too but i feel like my mandarin would chow down on them. not sure if he would go after them but anything on the rocks that fits in his mouth isnt safe.

My peppermint shrimp are so bold that they come out in broad daylight and crawl into the horses feeding bowl! I am thinking if you let them get hungry they are more apt to eat aiptasia.

• Like 2

I think they did something! I had some aiptasia, well i thought, near my stag but i dont see them. Not sure, i could be imagining it and just hoping for the best lol.

• Like 2

Despite the fact that this tanks been a real pain in my butt with filtration, its opened my eyes to a different way of looking at nutrients and such. Compared to my 29g when it was running, this tanks pretty much a sewer. The 29 was so clean, but i fed heavy to provide nutrition for my corals/fish. I was so set on needing to have super clean water, and then feed on top of it; looking back it just seems so hypocritical. This tank has no skimmer, instead i rely on weekly water changes. I feed 1 cube of frozen a day and sprinkle in some pellets for added nutrition since i usually only feed brine (mandarin wont eat mysis). I've had some great growth in this tank, mostly the beginning stages so just encrusting and such, but color has also been on point for most as well. I have done barely any testing, think in this tanks lifetime i tested alk twice and nothing else. Eventually when growth takes off i will need to do more testing to dial in dosing, I'm aware of that. Algae has been an obvious issue with this tanks minimal filtration, but its controllable. Thought of all of this when i was looking at my tank late last night, kind of had an epiphany of sorts. Its hard to look past the ugly algae and nasty stuff, but once i did i realized how healthy my sps are with the exception of 1 or two.

Ok my rants over, just bored this morning at work.

• Like 4

Despite the fact that this tanks been a real pain in my butt with filtration, its opened my eyes to a different way of looking at nutrients and such. Compared to my 29g when it was running, this tanks pretty much a sewer. The 29 was so clean, but i fed heavy to provide nutrition for my corals/fish. I was so set on needing to have super clean water, and then feed on top of it; looking back it just seems so hypocritical. This tank has no skimmer, instead i rely on weekly water changes. I feed 1 cube of frozen a day and sprinkle in some pellets for added nutrition since i usually only feed brine (mandarin wont eat mysis). I've had some great growth in this tank, mostly the beginning stages so just encrusting and such, but color has also been on point for most as well. I have done barely any testing, think in this tanks lifetime i tested alk twice and nothing else. Eventually when growth takes off i will need to do more testing to dial in dosing, I'm aware of that. Algae has been an obvious issue with this tanks minimal filtration, but its controllable. Thought of all of this when i was looking at my tank late last night, kind of had an epiphany of sorts. Its hard to look past the ugly algae and nasty stuff, but once i did i realized how healthy my sps are with the exception of 1 or two.

Ok my rants over, just bored this morning at work.

I have always had reasonably high nutrient tanks. Of course I have never had many sps...

Do you run carbon and gfo? I wonder if that would help with the algae? Its still easy if you just plop it in a media bag and put it near some flow.

• Like 2