Innovative Marine Aquariums

Arce's Tank

Arce

He has dragons?

Yes i do. :ninja:

Ok, heres a crappy picture of their undersides, the larger white shell ones look ok. But those smaller darker shell ones look like they have that shell on their foot similar to the whelks? Idk.

29989186683_1de8de1f4b_h.jpg

Yesterday i went to a different LFS in search of a new fish. I ended up getting a 6 line wrasse. I wanted an active fish, and it had to be one that could handle the bullying from my springers damsel. Figured a 6 line and their known aggressiveness would work. Acclimated him and got him in the tank, instantly took off and the springers started freaking out. Was funny because the 6 line was more agile and could squeeze through the crevices in the rock and the damsel would literally get stuck and run into the rock while chasing the 6 line. Eventually the springers let the 6 line take the top corner near the overflow so hopefully it isn't that stressed. Hoping over time the springers will back down.

• Like 5

The tank was a bit more calm yesterday, aggression towards the 6 line has died down a bit. The springers is actually letting him swim around as long as its not near his caves. I fed some mysis and the 6 line went crazy like it had never eaten before. Then it took 1 mysis and held it in its mouth for a good 5 -10 minutes, just chillin like he was saving it for later. Was pretty funny to see.

Pics horrible but i had to try to snap a shot of it.

30709740455_5a7cbefb41.jpg

• Like 5

The tank was a bit more calm yesterday, aggression towards the 6 line has died down a bit. The springers is actually letting him swim around as long as its not near his caves. I fed some mysis and the 6 line went crazy like it had never eaten before. Then it took 1 mysis and held it in its mouth for a good 5 -10 minutes, just chillin like he was saving it for later. Was pretty funny to see.

That picture is so funny! Its like he's saying, " mine, its all mine!"
  • Like 2

Worked 12 hours yesterday, I'm dead, had to cover the site for my super because he was going on 14 hours. Didn't get time to look at the tank last night except to feed it, but when i did the 6 line was out and about so I'm happy the springers isn't being an ass. I'm really tempted to add a clown because i want mine to pair, but that's a long shot. The clown i have now I've had for 3 years, so I'm not sure how it would take to another.

• Like 3

The clown i have now I've had for 3 years, so I'm not sure how it would take to another.

I wonder the same about my clown. Actually, I wonder how old she is at this point... -looks at purchase history-

EDIT: Oh, huh. September 2013. I guess she's also three years old :P

• Like 1

I wonder the same about my clown. Actually, I wonder how old she is at this point... -looks at purchase history-

EDIT: Oh, huh. September 2013. I guess she's also three years old :P

Im pretty sure i got mine in September too... haha :lol:

• Like 1

Well, got time to sit infront of the tank for a while for the first time this week. Everythings looking good, but my garf bonsai is showing some signs of stress. Idk why, its been doing so well and encrusting. I hope its not another wave of issues again. Going to check all my params tomorrow night but when i checked my alk on Tuesday it was within range.

• Like 1

It looks like he has a mustache :lol:

• Like 3

Alright people... My bonsai is showing some signs. The tips are receding and showing some reduced flesh. First thought, high alk, so i tested everything and its all in range, if anything its too low but I've been slowly bringing it back up over the past week trying to dial in my dosing. Second thought, salinity issues, so i checked and calibrated and everything's ok. Now I'm afraid its whatever wiped my tank out the past two times. I just got some BRS Rox carbon so I'm hoping if its a contaminant it can be removed. Also got brightwell neomarine salt because conveniently all my issues occurred when i changed to Red sea salt way back when, but i blew it off as a coincidence awhile ago.

Any other ideas? Not sure what else to do...

• Like 1

Alright people... My bonsai is showing some signs. The tips are receding and showing some reduced flesh. First thought, high alk, so i tested everything and its all in range, if anything its too low but I've been slowly bringing it back up over the past week trying to dial in my dosing. Second thought, salinity issues, so i checked and calibrated and everything's ok. Now I'm afraid its whatever wiped my tank out the past two times. I just got some BRS Rox carbon so I'm hoping if its a contaminant it can be removed. Also got brightwell neomarine salt because conveniently all my issues occurred when i changed to Red sea salt way back when, but i blew it off as a coincidence awhile ago.

O no, I sure hope it is not the same problem that you experienced before!
  • Like 1

Does your RODI water still check out at zero TDS?

O no, I sure hope it is not the same problem that you experienced before!

I'm hoping not. I'm trying a few solutions in hopes that one of them will fix whatever is happening again. I changed my salt to brightwell neomarine, I'm running BRS Rox carbon in case its a contaminant, started dosing aminos because my tanks super clean... and a few other things. So far its not getting worse so well see what happens.

Does your RODI water still check out at zero TDS?

Yep TDS is zero, changed all my filters last month.

• Like 1

Sounds like not enough food or something else. Mine receded until it stopped and that's about all I know. I suspect too many unseen swings in params doing it but I have no idea. Super clean and SPS problems go hand in hand though. I would try dosing small amounts of Phosphate and Nitrate to see what happens. My 40 goes through this and it's like playing chemistry set to keep everything happy.

• Like 2

Sounds like not enough food or something else. Mine receded until it stopped and that's about all I know. I suspect too many unseen swings in params doing it but I have no idea. Super clean and SPS problems go hand in hand though. I would try dosing small amounts of Phosphate and Nitrate to see what happens. My 40 goes through this and it's like playing chemistry set to keep everything happy.

Yep, i thought about that yesterday so i started dosing aminos and gave a decent hand dose last night. I'm hoping that's all it is. What do you dose in your 150/40? I only had acropower on hand so that's what I'm using as well as reef roids. I put the acropower on my BM doser at 1ml a day. I still have my two BRS dosers, so i could set one up for a small amount of another liquid food daily but not sure what else to try.

• Like 1

Yep, i thought about that yesterday so i started dosing aminos and gave a decent hand dose last night. I'm hoping that's all it is. What do you dose in your 150/40? I only had acropower on hand so that's what I'm using as well as reef roids. I put the acropower on my BM doser at 1ml a day. I still have my two BRS dosers, so i could set one up for a small amount of another liquid food daily but not sure what else to try.

I use CaNO3 weekly to raise nitrates to 1 or 2, I just make sure I can detect pink on the test. PO4 is hard to get above 0 so i try to put a pinch of roids in every morning before heading to work.

• Like 1

Back to reef related stuff...

The tanks doing ok, I'm feeding pretty heavy at the moment, not only for my fish but SPS. The bonsai isn't getting worse, which is a good sign so its a matter of time to see if it heals. Its really not that bad, only a couple tips showed less flesh and its still got great PE so well see.

I'm thinking about redoing my return line and adding a manifold of sorts to connect my reactor to. I haven't decided yet, mostly because i hate to have things running off of one pump and more plumbing just means more points of failure but I'm most likely over thinking it as i usually do.

• Like 3

Left work early and stopped at lowes to grab some parts. Anyone think i need a ball valve on the return line above the branch that goes to the reactor? I bought one anyway but it would make my life easier since i don't have much room to work with if i don't use it. I'll have a ball valve on the actual branch off that goes to the reactor though. The other reason i don't think i need the valve is the sicce pump, which I'm using, is adjustable which is how im using it now.

• Like 1

Went to Kats today to help her move some stuff and set up her RODI. Yesterday i went to the frag swap and got a huge sunset milli, a pink milli and ponape birdnest. The garf bonsai is still not doing well, actually getting worse so im still having issues.

• Like 2

Went to Kats today to help her move some stuff and set up her RODI. Yesterday i went to the frag swap and got a huge sunset milli, a pink milli and ponape birdnest. The garf bonsai is still not doing well, actually getting worse so im still having issues.

I guess it could be the GARF is having issues from whatever happened and the tank is fine ... I hope. :)

• Like 2

I guess it could be the GARF is having issues from whatever happened and the tank is fine ... I hope. :)

Eh im hoping but well see with these new pieces. Kats checking my phos and nitrates since my kit is bad.

• Like 2

Imbalance, nopox won't help that much and might make it worse IMO. Trates are good. Might be time to try some PhosphateRx, just a drop a day, no more, to slowly lower it down without moving Nitrates. I've used it for over 6 months now, both tanks. Only negative effect was lowering PO4 too far in my 40.

Keep carbon dosing out and I swear things just work better, but then I'm biased due to how well my tank is running at the moment.

• Like 3