inTank Media Baskets

Arce's Tank

Arce

Well Kat mentioned the yeast thing over on R2R. But its not proven yet, just a few people saying it works and others saying its not. I might try it, going to see how the tank looks today. I have been broadcast feeding heavy which also probably helped fuel the problem so i stopped doing that as well.

My diatoms are not bad at all, just in certain areas of the sand. I am too nervous to try a new technique with this tank as it is finally doing well and full of zoas. My issue is that I want to continue to add more larger grain sand while vacuuming out the finer sand which will only add more and more silicates. It would be nice if a known brand like Brightwell had a product which we could dose which would bind and then be skimmed out.

My diatoms are not bad at all, just in certain areas of the sand. I am too nervous to try a new technique with this tank as it is finally doing well and full of zoas. My issue is that I want to continue to add more larger grain sand while vacuuming out the finer sand which will only add more and more silicates. It would be nice if a known brand like Brightwell had a product which we could dose which would bind and then be skimmed out.

Pretty sure i remember reading someone on a TOTM for RC or another site that they used Yeast to feed to their fish and corals. So i doubt it would cause any negative reactions at least if used in correct amounts? This diatom thing is new though, at least to me, never would have thought about yeast.

If you want to add sand maybe soak it in a bucket of RODI for a couple weeks with a powerhead and GFO? I think GFO helps but idk. Just change the water in hopes to clear out some of the silica and junk.

No i cant, such a hectic day had a lot of problems on site that i had to go attend to. And i have a call at 3:30 with the CEO and higher ups to talk about my project status. So i cant leave to go play with the light, but i did stop home during my traveling back and forth to at least bring it inside and open it.

• Like 1

Lights up and running. Took a bit to program the bluefish and play around with the settings. Im sure ill change them again as i see the tank during each of its phases but for now its good. I must say it is definitely bright, color looks great and i love the controllability. I just wish my tank didnt look like poop right now. Diatoms appear to be slowing down... hopefully. Cant wait for my sps to start coming back to life with this light.

• Like 8

One problem im running into is my wifi sucks since my tanks in my basement. sometimes it will lose connection which might cause a problem if the power goes out or if i want to play with the settings like im trying to do right now

You can get a cheap wifi extender that will strengthen the signal in the basement :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L0YLRUW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472170811&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=wifi+extender&dpPl=1&dpID=41ut%2BX0tgqL&ref=plSrch

The new light looks great!

Thanks, might look into that extender. It goes in and out and mostly sits at "good" wifi signal so lets see if there was just interference when it dropped out.

I love being able to check the bluefish to see what my lights are doing, this remote ability is awesome.

The lime and cyan are awesome, really helps get rid of that purple hue. With my T5s on its amazing, I'm not a huge fan of LED only but these NB arrays make it hard to complain. Going to let everything acclimate to the blast of lighting and slowly ramp up my percentages, i really prefer a whiter tank but for now i have the white channel low so i don't bleach anything.

• Like 5

moar pics pls!

Eventually. Once the tank comes back to life a bit ill probably start posting more pictures. Right now the only things worth looking at are the blue stag and kat. They look great under the hybrid, cant wait for everything else to turn around but it will take some time.

• Like 2

Are you taking secret pictures you won't post until the Before & After? :P

Lol yea, i have a couple current pictures but they are so ugly i wont post them. Need to get color back into my sps.

• Like 3

So far so good with the new light. My blue stag looks amazing under this lighting. The diatoms are still around but not as bad as before. I need to decide what i want to do with some of the damaged sps. My slimer is very blotchy, some areas are alive some are not, i may cut it up and let it regrow. My joe the coral piece is a mess, hard to say if it will recover but im giving it more time. Everything else is slowly coming around and showing some decent recovery. The kat is growing like crazy, have two new nubs sprouting out and the main branches have even better corallite growth.

Still cant decide if i should sell the 4x24 ATI. I may throw it up on my local forum and see whos interested.

• Like 2

My current NB settings...

Morning:

Start 8AM

Length 120 mins

Ramp 60

Blue: 40%

Whites:0

Violet:10%

Cyan:35%

Lime:0

Mid day:

Ramp 90

Blue:55%

White:15%

Cyan:65%

Lime:60%

Evening:

Length 120

Ramp 60

Blue: 40%

Whites:0

Cyan:35%

Lime:0

Night:

Violet:0.2%

T5s go on at 12:30ish and go off around 7:30. Im using 2B+ 1 C+ and 1 6500k.

So far i love the color when all lights are on, very crisp. I want to get it a bit more white but i don't want to bleach anything or stress the sps more than they are since they are just starting to recover.

• Like 2

White LEDs don't hurt corals, intensity does.

Which is why im not planning to raise the % of my whites yet. :happy:

Im not on that LED thread you guys got going i dont think white leds are the devil.

Get some photos up so we can see before and after! Or else I will remotely turn your light off. :D

Glad you are enjoying. I maybe able to buy your light and upgrade it and possibly give you some cash too?

• Like 3

Get some photos up so we can see before and after! Or else I will remotely turn your light off. :D

Glad you are enjoying. I maybe able to buy your light and upgrade it and possibly give you some cash too?

Hahaha soon, let me get the diatoms to at least die off first.

The 4x24 you mean?

• Like 1