ReefCleaners.org

Arce's Tank

Arce

Good news...Ordered a WP-10

Bad news... Just did a w/c and my one green slimer looks to be losing color, browning out a bit, not sure why. All my params have been stable w/ low phos+nitrates. Im going to do some tests after the water clears up. Its so frustrating because this is the second slimer thats browned out on me, meanwhile mostly everything else is doing pretty well including other sps, except my monti cap which has been giving me some issues as well.

Not sure what it is but ill have to see after i test my params.

so my params checked out fine. Not sure whats causing the browning issue in the green slimer. Everything has been stable.

SG = 1.025

Alk = 8.9 (Hanna)

Calc = 420 (Red Sea)

Mag = 1400 (Red Sea)

Phosphates = 0 (Hanna)

Nitrate = 0 (API)

Temperature?

Is it browning or is it fading? SPS need food, floating in the water, and enough light, or they will starve and die. Since you are having issues with a slimer and monti's I suspect stripped water.

Temperature?

Is it browning or is it fading? SPS need food, floating in the water, and enough light, or they will starve and die. Since you are having issues with a slimer and monti's I suspect stripped water.

Temps stable at 78-79.

hm, i guess you could consider it as fading. Ill try feeding a bit more. Thanks.

• Like 1

I guess ive always been shooting for those pristine ultra low levels and never thought about it. I just removed the gfo i was running passively in a media bag, it was only like 3 tablespoons which is half the recommended. Im going to just let the macro in my sump help maintain the levels. Im also going to try feeding more, i currently feed once and a while w/ pellets and once a day w/ frozen brine.

I would try Reef Roids for the corals, a pinch every evening, and Kent Coral Accel if you want, maybe dosing a half a cap every 3 days or so. These both work well for me but there are many other options that will work as well.

I would try Reef Roids for the corals, a pinch every evening, and Kent Coral Accel if you want, maybe dosing a half a cap every 3 days or so. These both work well for me but there are many other options that will work as well.

Ill try some reef roids. Coral accel is just amino acids right? I have some acropower i can use, stopped using it some time ago because i thought it contributed to the browning.

Ill try some reef roids. Coral accel is just amino acids right? I have some acropower i can use, stopped using it some time ago because i thought it contributed to the browning.

No, it's a little amino, some vitamins, some fat, some magic sauce. It's probably just the brine from frozen food you are told to not put in the tank. The corals love it and growth really picks up, as well as algae on the glass and in other places. :)

No, it's a little amino, some vitamins, some fat, some magic sauce. It's probably just the brine from frozen food you are told to not put in the tank. The corals love it and growth really picks up, as well as algae on the glass and in other places. :)

Lol ok ill give it a try.

• Like 1

Everything looked pretty good last night. My red monti actually looks to be coloring up compared to how it looked on sunday/monday. Not sure if its because i removed the gfo or if its due to the w/c but whatever works.

• 3 months later...

Snapped a quick photo..

I've had a lot of ups and downs since my last post, as well as a few changes in equipment and livestock.

I had a lot of problems with nutrients and keeping them in check, mainly due to my own fault, but i finally found the right balance. I took the GFO offline and added some grape caulerpa, it worked great but over time I got so annoyed by the caulerpa and switched to chaeto. I've also maintained 5g a week changes which helps a lot since i do tend to feed heavy. I have finally stopped chasing those ultra low levels and have given up checking my nitrates and phosphates, I just use algae growth and my corals as my indicators now. I feel like i could still drop my nutrients a bit as i am still have some GHA growing, maybe just reducing feedings. Since doing all this my corals have improved tremendously. Colors are back and more vibrant, PE is great, growth has started to take off again as well.

For equipment changes, other than taking GFO offline and using macros, i made a huge switch in lighting. Ended up going to T5 and got a 4 bulb aquaticlife fixture. I was extremely hesitant to make the switch but now i love it and wish i did it sooner. The fixture is great, the color rendition is great, corals seem to be taking to them well also. Im running 2 blue+ 1 Coral and 1 Purple, love this combo. I also need a new doser as the one i have is complete junk and barely keeping my alk under control.

For Fish, my one clown jumped :( . Was extremely sad that happened because the two of them had finally begun pairing and since it was something i could have easily prevented. The next day i went and made a mesh top. After the tragic death i ended up going to my LFS and picking up a longfin fairy wrasse. Love the colors of the wrasse and its extremely active. All of my other fish are doing great.

I also added a few inverts. A blue tux urchin and some scarlet hermits.

I lost a few corals from the few hiccups i had but what i have now is going strong and improving everyday. NJRC frag swaps next weekend so im planning to fill this tank up with some more sticks :D

TLDR ----> Everythings doing better, new fish and inverts, changed to T5s, Frag swap next week, sticks. :P

IMG_2291_zps09c71aa0.jpg

Blurry Wrasse Pic

e3883b21-07aa-4822-b319-410840d9dedc_zps

Random pic of left rock

IMG_2293_zps0ad80d70.jpg

• Like 1

Took some more pics...

Here's my dirty sump, i got rid of my old one and ended up finding this one at a LFS. I got it for $10 so i was pretty excited that i didn't have to build it myself and essentially saved a decent amount as a 10g is over $10 itself. I made the swtich so that i could have an area for some macros, i had caulerpa before but go annoyed by it and switched to chaeto.

IMG_2318_zpsb87862e6.jpg

Here's some Garf Bonsai. Its doing really well and encrusting like crazy. I've just noticed the first signs of vertical growth which is exciting. Have some Green and Purple slimer in the background.

IMG_2311_zpsb884d20e.jpg

Some green slimer. It used to be extremely pale with minimal PE but since my changes to my tank its been coming back strong.

IMG_2303_zps7fd7eb55.jpg

And heres my shrimp i tried getting a close-up of. Camera sucks so its difficult to take any decent pictures.

IMG_2306_zps068f8b53.jpg

• Like 1

Nice to see an update! Tank looks good, nice and clean, and the coral colors look very good. Your bonsai looks a heck of a lot better than mine does.

Thanks man. Its only clean because i did a thorough cleaning and w/c yesterday :lol: . The bonsai is doing great, wish it would color up a bit more though. I have another frag from the same colony on my frag rack that has so much more purple in it, this ones a bit brown.

• Like 1

Soooooo.... My wallet hurts.... But it was worth it. The swap was pretty good, got a few nice pieces at an awesome price. Couldn't take pics after the swap because I went to an open bar B-day/engagement party for my girlfriends best friend, and now I'm too lazy to take some.

• Like 1