Cultivated Reef

Arce's Tank

Arce

xLimitlessJR
Just got a bunch of freebies from a local reefer, mostly some more montis. I havent been happy with my coral placements so im probably going to completely redo my entire tank this weekend.

That's quite a weekend! Lol tanks coming along nicely!

• Like 1

Why switch to T5s??

What i really want to do is a T5 LED hybrid to get the best of both worlds. Im looking for a TEK fixture as they reliable and easy to retrofit LEDS into. I just feel like for SPS T5's are proven. Some of the best coloration and growth ive seen are with T5s.

Got the doser hooked up and mounted in my stand! omgomgomg

Its not the best doser, but for the price i couldn't pass it up. Ill use this temporarily until i can afford something better down the line.

• 1 month later...

Decided to look up you thread and your tank is very nice! I like the scape and I think you will love the royal gramma when it gets more brave and comes out a lot. I know I love mine!

• Like 1

Decided to look up you thread and your tank is very nice! I like the scape and I think you will love the royal gramma when it gets more brave and comes out a lot. I know I love mine!

Thanks, i havent posted on here for awhile, alots changed. I should probably do an update one of these days.

• Like 2

Thanks, i havent posted on here for awhile, alots changed. I should probably do an update one of these days.

Please do, I would love to follow another 29 gallon!

Please do, I would love to follow another 29 gallon!

Ill try to update it this weekend, i just hate not having a good camera.

So here is a long overdue update.. A lots changed since my last post.

I dropped the GFO reactor, I added a bunch of grape caulerpa that i picked up from a local and im also running a bit of GFO passively in a media bag. When i took the reactor offline i ended up browning out some SPS due to the increase in phosphates, which really wasn't much but when your going from undetectable with Hanna checkers to 0.03 its quite a jump. I only lost one frag of green slimer but have two others that i ended up getting anyway.

The fish are all doing well, and so are the corals. I had to dial in the dosers, which took some time as this is the first tank that I've gotten into serious dosing since my other tanks were mainly softies. I ended up bleaching some here and there but most are recovering now that i got all the kinks out and keeping stable levels.

My torch used to be right in the front but ended up getting to big and actually was wrapping around the rock and hitting some SPS so i banished it to the back corner where it actually looks better imo and cant harm anyone. In its place i ended up putting in a new piece of rock because the original scape was too steep and didn't allow for a lot of coral placement. Its blinding white but should darken up within time.

That's pretty much the short story, everything is doing good and I've had some noticeable growth so im hoping all my corals will take off soon.

a066ca30-d67f-4904-bedd-00d62d42414b_zps

My frogspawn, bought it with 4 heads now have around 9 and more are splitting. Ive had insane growth from this guy.

8d8846f0-697c-41c1-958d-88aec173add9_zps

The Royal Gramma

258dde60-27c4-4e2f-96fc-88e8de897231_zps

Torch in its new place, great growth from this as well.

19ab0221-49f2-4078-b2ef-c8246807e08f_zps

The sump with the newly added macro

b25a9cda-da80-4c73-bc42-3cd0dc183158_zps

• Like 3

So im thinking about making a new sump. When i got it i had no intentions to have a refugium, but now that i put the macro in there i want to actually make a seperate chamber for it. Right now i just have it being held back by some egg crate and some pieces are making their way towards my return pump and i dont want it to get clogged or anything. Not sure how i want to design the sump though because all that can fit in my stand is a 10gallon standard. Ill have to do some sketches and plan it out.

Went to lowes to grab some acrylic for the sump, i figured id get it cut there since i knew the dims and because i don't have many tools at home and don't feel like scoring it. The guy that was helping me couldn't comprehend how to cut the acrylic to the dims i needed. He made no sense, i was trying to explain it to him for like 5 minutes then gave up and left because i was getting aggravated. It was as simple as making 3 or 4 cuts but for some reason he just didn't get it. Oh well, going to try to find a glass shop or just head down the road to home depot.

Red_Blenny

Went to lowes to grab some acrylic for the sump, i figured id get it cut there since i knew the dims and because i don't have many tools at home and don't feel like scoring it. The guy that was helping me couldn't comprehend how to cut the acrylic to the dims i needed. He made no sense, i was trying to explain it to him for like 5 minutes then gave up and left because i was getting aggravated. It was as simple as making 3 or 4 cuts but for some reason he just didn't get it. Oh well, going to try to find a glass shop or just head down the road to home depot.

I'd say get glass baffles instead of acrylic. I heard acrylic can expand in your sump and slightly push outwards against the glass tank, which leads to your sump bursting sometime down the road.

I'd say get glass baffles instead of acrylic. I heard acrylic can expand in your sump and slightly push outwards against the glass tank, which leads to your sump bursting sometime down the road.

Never heard that before, the sump i have now has acrylic baffles. Ill try to get glass instead.

Here's my attempt at taking better pictures. The other ones i took with my ipad, this one i just took with an old junky canon i had laying around. Its a bit better than the others, but colors still really washed out.

aac4dd2e-c798-4ebf-9b96-c8e1dbff6016_zps

• Like 1

Those SPS will suck up the Alk for sure. :) That's one of the reasons I yanked them from my 29 since I have other tanks for SPS.

I like the scape as well. The two mountain theme is about the only scape that works well in a 29, IMO, and I like the fact you place the gorg in the middle. Mine is heavily encrusted on the rock so I can't really move it.

Those SPS will suck up the Alk for sure. :) That's one of the reasons I yanked them from my 29 since I have other tanks for SPS.

I like the scape as well. The two mountain theme is about the only scape that works well in a 29, IMO, and I like the fact you place the gorg in the middle. Mine is heavily encrusted on the rock so I can't really move it.

I think its my torch and frogspawn that are really soaking up the majority of it.

Trying to scape a 29 is pretty hard with the short depth and tall height. I tried a bunch of different scapes but ended up choosing this one. If i could go back though i would do it differently but i used mortar to hold it all together.

Thanks, That gorg is encrusting on a smaller piece of rock so i can move it around where i want.

• Like 1

I see the royal gramma is front and center in the FTS so I guess it got over being shy.

Yep! It took a few days after i got it for it to come out but now its always out. I have three small caves in my rock work and its claimed all of them, swims back and forth in and out each one making sure none of my other fish go near it.

• Like 1

Yep! It took a few days after i got it for it to come out but now its always out. I have three small caves in my rock work and its claimed all of them, swims back and forth in and out each one making sure none of my other fish go near it.

That's funny. So much for sharing!

So last night i was looking at my tank and i realized that i didnt have enough flow thanks to the way i scaped. The center between both "islands" isnt getting as much flow as id like. I have some digi mounted there and it looks pretty pissed. Im thinking of adding a wp-10 and mount it on the back center. Till then i aimed my return toward the middle and bumped up my mp10 to 75%.