SaltCritters.com

Hair Algae Experiment - Successful

DLANDINO

I put up to 120 mL in 1 go in my tank. Total volume is probably 60 gallons though. None of my inverts showed any reaction including my shrimp (cleaner, fire, sexy's) or crabs. My coral didn't even know it happened. BUT my 50% dragon's breath melted and some of my blue ochtodes melted. None of my other macro's had any reaction and the dragon's/blue ochtodes in the fuge didn't have a reaction since it was so far away from the source. I guess those two macro's are more sensitive. Makes me sad as it was a large colony but it will grow back in time.

I am going to give this baking soda method a try. Seems like it would be a better spot treatment since you can suck it back out.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is fantastic! Could you specify the amount of H2O2 you use? Do you know how much is in a capful? Sometimes it says on the bottle. If not, could you measure with your dosing cup? Thanks. I'm going to have to try this.

5ml is in one cap if my bottle of peroxide.

I just tried this, and had a hard time getting the baking soda to dissolve into the peroxide to form a viscous solution.

Any tips?

Hello, my apologies for the delay. You don't need to be to concerned as long as its mixed fairly well. Mine is a little gritty when I apply it. That said, I use a battery operated milk frother for this and many other jobs reef related.

post-74933-0-46969400-1389533278_thumb.jpg

post-74933-0-46969400-1389533278_thumb.jpg

I'd be careful about bubble algae incase the spores get released.

I dosed peroxide on a rock and the bubbles turned clear, it was kinda cool.

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a great step in evolving peroxide treatment. Thanks for the post. This could be very helpful for people that can't remove their rocks.

Following this closely, my only concern is that some of the H2O2 mixes with the water in the process of applying or removing it, that would not be good for me. But this reminds me of Aiptasia-X treatments, I wonder if Kalk could be used in place of Baking Soda. So far this sounds promising :)

Following this closely, my only concern is that some of the H2O2 mixes with the water in the process of applying or removing it, that would not be good for me. But this reminds me of Aiptasia-X treatments, I wonder if Kalk could be used in place of Baking Soda. So far this sounds promising :)

Hi there. The only reason that I chose not to use kalk was the potential for collateral damage. When that stuff falls on coral it is immediate tissue death. I felt bakig soda was a safer alternative. Good luck if you attempt and please let us know how you do.

WOW! This is one cool thread. Definitely following along, those are some crazy results. I think I'd want to do a big fat water change after killing a good amount of algae. Looks a lot better than the regular dips.

I wonder if this would work better or worse with Sodium Carbonate (Baking soda that has been baked in the oven). Just thinking out loud.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if this would work better or worse with Sodium Carbonate (Baking soda that has been baked in the oven). Just thinking out loud.

Sodium carbonate (soda ash) is NOT just like Sodium Bicarbonate. is it much more basic in nature, so I suggest being very careful if you decide to try it out.

Not trying to discourage you, but do make sure you realize it is a separate compound with very different chemical properties...more like Kalc than baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

Sodium carbonate (soda ash) is NOT just like Sodium Bicarbonate. is it much more basic in nature, so I suggest being very careful if you decide to try it out.

Not trying to discourage you, but do make sure you realize it is a separate compound with very different chemical properties...more like Kalc than baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

Yeah, like I say, I was just thinking out loud. I use Sodium carbonate in my alk doser and realize that a little goes a long way. Especially in a nano. It's something that would have to be carefully considered, and might even be a bad idea ultimately. It could cause some serious pH swings.

Yeah, like I say, I was just thinking out loud. I use Sodium carbonate in my alk doser and realize that a little goes a long way. Especially in a nano. It's something that would have to be carefully considered, and might even be a bad idea ultimately. It could cause some serious pH swings.

I hear ya...a good thought to be sure. Might actually work very well as long as you can reliably remove the excess and not completely gork the pH of the tank.

Wasn't trying to be snotty...would be interested to see someone try this out.

I hear ya...a good thought to be sure. Might actually work very well as long as you can reliably remove the excess and not completely gork the pH of the tank.

Wasn't trying to be snotty...would be interested to see someone try this out.

I think it could work, but only if the paste was a bit thicker, and if a water change including siphoning of the algae/paste was done immediately. That being said, if using baking soda works, why try and change it?

I think it could work, but only if the paste was a bit thicker, and if a water change including siphoning of the algae/paste was done immediately. That being said, if using baking soda works, why try and change it?

I think a scientiferic study is in order...does baking soda vs. soda ash works better?

Or, just use the easy safer route as Tibbs suggests. The pics do look compelling!

I think a scientiferic study is in order...does baking soda vs. soda ash works better?

Or, just use the easy safer route as Tibbs suggests. The pics do look compelling!

I think it's a good idea to try, but I suggest a large tank try it first, then depending on those results move down in size. I'm not going to try it in my pico first ;)

Would this work on bryopsis and turf algae I wonder

It does, the bryopsis turns white and then dies off.

I noticed that (for me) the peroxide wasn't mixing well with the baking soda, and that when I treated the algae with the mixture, the baking soda wasn't too effective at holding the peroxide. From this observation, I took a leap of faith and have been spot treating hair algae within my tank with pure peroxide (1.5ml per 8 gallons) ever since (4 days straight so far)

I first turn off all the return pump and skimmer (no powerhead in my tank). Then I spot dose the peroxide on the algae and let the peroxide do its job for 5 minutes before turning on my pumps again. Seems to be working and the hair algae+bryopsis is receding and dying off.

I've tried this right next to ricordea and zoanthids with no negative effects. Everything (excluding the algae) in my tank still seems happy.

Effectively, it's like dosing the tank with peroxide, but yields more localized targeting.

It does, the bryopsis turns white and then dies off.

I noticed that (for me) the peroxide wasn't mixing well with the baking soda, and that when I treated the algae with the mixture, the baking soda wasn't too effective at holding the peroxide. From this observation, I took a leap of faith and have been spot treating hair algae within my tank with pure peroxide (1.5ml per 8 gallons) ever since (4 days straight so far)

I first turn off all the return pump and skimmer (no powerhead in my tank). Then I spot dose the peroxide on the algae and let the peroxide do its job for 5 minutes before turning on my pumps again. Seems to be working and the hair algae+bryopsis is receding and dying off.

I've tried this right next to ricordea and zoanthids with no negative effects. Everything (excluding the algae) in my tank still seems happy.

Effectively, it's like dosing the tank with peroxide, but yields more localized targeting.

Unfortunately with only peroxide usage, bryopsis comes back. Guaranteed.

Unfortunately with only peroxide usage, bryopsis comes back. Guaranteed.

Interesting.

When I used the baking soda + peroxide method, what was killed stayed dead. I kept hitting the same spot for like 3 days in a row though; shit turned white & CuC cleaned it up.

Oh it does for sure. But it comes back. It is a roach.

Well poophole. The spots that have undergone chemotherapy have stayed in remission for 2 weeks so far. You're telling me that relapse is just around the corner :tears:?

I hate bryopsis.

Archived