Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ninja's Fluval Spec V ~ Bye ~

ninjamyst

Your tank is gorgeous! Hopefully I can get my new one looking half as good as that!!

What air pump are you using for your Mame skimmer?

I've had one in my fluval edge 12g for 8 months and I struggle with it. It seems to either skim too much (ie. It's just pushing clean water through and drops my water level drastically instead of producing skimmate.) or I can't get it adjusted so that it actually pushes the skimmate out of the skimmer into the collection cup. I think my air pump is just too powerful making it hard to find a good balance.

I haven't found too many people that own a Mame so it's hard to get feedback on it.

• Like 1

I am using the whisper 10 gallon air pump I think. It does produce wet skimmate but I think that's normal for an airstone skimmer. A lot of gunk does collect on the neck so I clean it out every 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for lack of updates. This tank been on cruise control for awhile. I been suckin out sand and going barebottom. Glued GSP to the bottom but they are not doing so well. I guess GSP need a lot of light to flourish. May go all mushrooms on the bottom instead now.

Hey man, post up some pics of the 180 once setup!! I really wanna see how the tank is doing! I think a FTS is required!! :P

Quick pic I took today. You can see the pump behind the skimmer on the top right corner. You can swivel the nozzle to point it anywhere you want. I have the flow bouncing off the front glass.

16365294983_5ab77f6b7c.jpg

• Like 8

Wow, looks great! I got my GSP to grow on the bottom but it took a while and it's not a much of a neon green as yours. I don't know if that's due to the difference in light levels or if it's just a different kind of GSP. Anyway, I think a mushroom floor would be even nicer :)

• Like 1

Well, if you want red shrooms, I can send you some of mine. I'll just stick them in a dry envelope and send it snail mail. When you get them in a couple weeks, throw them in the tank. I guarantee they will survive, because nothing can kill my red mushrooms :lol:

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Silly maxi mini decided to climb up and cover all my zoas. There goes 30 polyps of bam bams and assorted zoa...sigh.

17203112796_1143197756.jpg

I heard there was a Spec V party in here, so here I am! cheer.gif

Tank looks great!

Been lurking on your thread =). Glad you found the issue with salinity. You can get a refractometer on Amazon for like $20.

• Like 2

Been lurking on your thread =). Glad you found the issue with salinity. You can get a refractometer on Amazon for like $20.

Hah, thank you! I'll certainly be getting a new one, yes.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the mame in this thing. Any idea how much water is required to use the skimmer - as in depth required for the skimmer?

I also really like the bare-bottom look. And the 180 - is that the koralia nano 180?

Some new things happening in my life and an office pico might be in the works ;) I've been missing tiny tanks again.

• 1 month later...

Soooo....how's everyone's spec doing?? Mine been doing good except one side of the GSP wall started to melt for no reason. But that's ok cuz I started a bare bottom GSP lawn. MUAHAHAHA. Can't wait for it to cover the entire bottom.

18471491329_1546afdcaa.jpg

The maxi mini has gained so much color under the NanoBox light. It's crazy yellow / red.

18657688635_1237c62258.jpg

18652979442_e37ee10c48.jpg

New FTS

18659946411_f3337d9843.jpg

• Like 11

That maxi mini is stunning :wub: .

Yes, the color was very faded when it was hiding on the side without much light. Then one day it just decided to climb all the way to the top and sunbathe under the light....and destroy my zoa colonies....

• Like 1