Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Fluval Spec V ~ Bye ~

ninjamyst

the sponge is my favorite so far! just hope i can keep it alive long term.

Love the new gorgs, really balances out the space. For the sponge, I highly recommend Zeovit's Sponge Power. It came with the nano pack and although I was least excited about it, it s been the most effective of the lot so far. Before dosing there were no noticable sponges. One month later I had to halve the recommended dosing because I was getting so much sponge growth in my overflow it was starting to affect flow from the left chamber to the right. From what I know, red ball sponges are virtiually NPS, so it's going to rely heavily on dosing after it quicly filters the existing five gallons.

• Like 1

Love the new gorgs, really balances out the space. For the sponge, I highly recommend Zeovit's Sponge Power. It came with the nano pack and although I was least excited about it, it s been the most effective of the lot so far. Before dosing there were no noticable sponges. One month later I had to halve the recommended dosing because I was getting so much sponge growth in my overflow it was starting to affect flow from the left chamber to the right. From what I know, red ball sponges are virtiually NPS, so it's going to rely heavily on dosing after it quicly filters the existing five gallons.

I been wanting to try Zeovit but I read they are more for UNLS. I am worried that I already run a high nutrient tank, and the additives will cause major algae issues. How are the other stuff in the nano pack working out for you?

The Nano Power pack is honestly all just foods. Even on Zeo's website you can run them with or without running the full Zeo system. I used the Nano Power pack and had amazing results honestly. Especially with Phols's Xtra and the LPS Amino's. I think even if you got a 100ml bottle of those 2 and a 10ml of sponge power you'd be good. And you would get really good results with Phols Xtra in your big tank too. I saw incredible results in color and growth in my Zoa's it was crazy. Just don't over dose or you will get brown film algae lol I learned that the hard way.

• Like 2

I been wanting to try Zeovit but I read they are more for UNLS. I am worried that I already run a high nutrient tank, and the additives will cause major algae issues. How are the other stuff in the nano pack working out for you?

All four bottles in the nano pack are effective independent of UNLS, which my skimmerless Spec V most definitely not. I'm doing about 3 drops/week of each, and always adding a drop of each following any water change.

The Nano Power pack is honestly all just foods. Even on Zeo's website you can run them with or without running the full Zeo system. I used the Nano Power pack and had amazing results honestly. Especially with Phols's Xtra and the LPS Amino's. I think even if you got a 100ml bottle of those 2 and a 10ml of sponge power you'd be good. And you would get really good results with Phols Xtra in your big tank too. I saw incredible results in color and growth in my Zoa's it was crazy. Just don't over dose or you will get brown film algae lol I learned that the hard way.

Same here, my results have been positive. Still struggling with color issues on my SPS, but if nothing else the PE has improved almost 100% on my acros which is a direct result of this dosing. Also agree that you have to be careful with overdosing, though don't they claim that it's nitrate/phosphate-free? Having said that, I'm battling brown film algae now...

• Like 1

All four bottles in the nano pack are effective independent of UNLS, which my skimmerless Spec V most definitely not. I'm doing about 3 drops/week of each, and always adding a drop of each following any water change.

Same here, my results have been positive. Still struggling with color issues on my SPS, but if nothing else the PE has improved almost 100% on my acros which is a direct result of this dosing. Also agree that you have to be careful with overdosing, though don't they claim that it's nitrate/phosphate-free? Having said that, I'm battling brown film algae now...

Same here. If you're struggling with colors,check phosphate levels.Especially if your greens are browning out. You'll get brown film algae with overdosing any amino based foods. It's just gonna happen. Even with Acro Power if I do a few drops every day,algae pops up over night,so I cut back to 2-3 times a week and it's not as bad and it's not brown it's more clearish white.

And as for dosing CV and SP,I'd only do 1 drop every 2-3 days. I know the bottle says 1 drop every 2 days go 25 gallons of water. I dilute mine with tank water. I do mine every 2-3 days. With good results. Every day seemed to be too much for my 2 gallon is slapped full with sps.

• Like 1

sounds like more stuff to buy for my tanks now =). but the nano packs are sold out everywhere...blah. and what to do with all my Kent Coral-Vite, Coral-Accel....I have so much additives now...

You checked BRS ? Checked AquariumSpecialty and Zeovitusa.com. They should both have them.

Got mine from BRS, looks like it's still there. And the justification for this buy was at $40 (yay sale day), it's only $10/bottle. Plus, after 3 months I'm not even 1/4 of the way through them.

• Like 1

Got mine from BRS, looks like it's still there. And the justification for this buy was at $40 (yay sale day), it's only $10/bottle. Plus, after 3 months I'm not even 1/4 of the way through them.

gonna definitely grab some when it's on sale again.

Wow man the new additions are absolutely AMAZING!!!

thank!!

• Like 1

Hey man, how's it going in this tank? I thought you had taken it down for some reason? I'm just crazy, it seems.

Thought about taking this down. Just dont love it like I love the 12g. I added a Hydor Evo pump to add more flow for the new gorgs. Now I got more wires coming out of the tank. Blah. I will probably keep this for another 6 months or so then sell the marineland 606 for 1 million dollars =P. Maybe I will get a Fusion 10 like yours since I have the mini tide already. Will need to send it back to Dave to switch out the metal arm though.

Yeah, update, how are you liking the mame skimmer too?

The mame skimmer is great. Still getting tea like skimmate but I read that's expected for nano airstone skimmers. It's the same with the PicO Skim 2.0. The neck does get dirty fast but it's easy to clean. The airstone that came with mame is really great quality. Still no need to change.

• Like 4

Please don't take this down, sorry to barge in. It looks lovely. As for keeping the sponge alive - I am really all about live algae. If you can look on some biological supply companies, choose some assorted algae, toss it all in a bottle and culture them, I think it's worth the investment. Keeps things like NPS clams and feather dusters and gorgonians alive and I think it can help with some corals as well. Worst case scenario, if the algae is not eaten, it stays alive and becomes pod food instead of dying and creating a cyano bloom. If params are good than the algae shouldn't get out of control.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Slowly loosing the red sponge despite dosing Zeovit Sponge Power. I think I sprayed too much phyto on the sponge and it blocked water going into it. The top where I sprayed on the phyto starting to die off first. Sigh. Gorgs doing great though =). And one of my ric split into 3!!

Slowly loosing the red sponge despite dosing Zeovit Sponge Power. I think I sprayed too much phyto on the sponge and it blocked water going into it. The top where I sprayed on the phyto starting to die off first. Sigh. Gorgs doing great though =). And one of my ric split into 3!!

Wow, nice on those rics. You always were good w/ rics. Never saw one split myself.

• Like 2

I've got 5 rics on a rock together. 1 is doing great, 3 are ok, and a few weeks ago the 5th one let go and floated off to who knows where. I wish it was easier to know exactly what makes a coral happy!!

• Like 1