Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's Fluval Spec V ~ Bye ~

ninjamyst

Pretty sure it's USD. A little pricey but really good quality and great attention to detail. You are looking at http://saltwater-conversion.com/collections/mame/products/mame-skimmer right?

All prices in USD (I live in Australia but ship my stock from the US and all my prices are in USD)

I not so secretly wish I lived in the US since all the great innovation in the industry seems to come from US companies, but at least all the great corals come from AU! :P

• Like 1

Dude that thing looks reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal CLEAN!!! Epic man, epic is all I can say! I just wanna see your tank in person it looks so good... I'm jealous.

• Like 1

shameless plug to bring pics to new page, but really i looked at the pics again and realize the tank is DIRTY. what's the best way to clean this tank? i dont have an issue with the glass in my 12 gallon. this tank smudges / streaks so easily!!

A skimmer that actually looks good.

15497153961_ae67142db8.jpg

My tiny clownfish approves

15313650268_d301a5075a.jpg

View of the mounting hardware.

15477158946_e22bc0f90d.jpg

• Like 3

OH man you think that's dirty then I'm embarrassed by every single photo in my thread hahahahah ...

I have some salt creep, and I get water drips occasionally down the glass and it dries overnight. So difficult to keep clean. I usually just used a dry towel and try my best to scrub/ polish it.

Been meaning to pickup some glass cleaner though, and obviously spray it on a rag first (not directly on the glass just to be safe) and then wiping gently to make it crystal clear.

My back wall of the inside though I've been super lazy and it's growing tons of algae.

Honestly I think I'll just let that be an algae field for my snails and such to feast on whenever they're hungry lol.

• Like 1

Looks super sleek and clean! I'm amazed at the size of that and at the fact that its not hideous lol. As far as keeping the glass clean... For the inside I wipe the tank down with my nanomag every night regardless of if I see algae or not. and For the outside of the glass, when it comes to like water drips I usually let them dry and wipe the glass with a small piece of soft paper towel or toilet paper and use just a bit of extra pressure and it usually comes off pretty easily and its safe as well. I tend to rub in circular motions too, not sure if it matters... just my method haha. but DAAAAYYUUUMMM tank looks amaaaazzziiinggg!

• Like 2

OH man you think that's dirty then I'm embarrassed by every single photo in my thread hahahahah ...

I have some salt creep, and I get water drips occasionally down the glass and it dries overnight. So difficult to keep clean. I usually just used a dry towel and try my best to scrub/ polish it.

Been meaning to pickup some glass cleaner though, and obviously spray it on a rag first (not directly on the glass just to be safe) and then wiping gently to make it crystal clear.

My back wall of the inside though I've been super lazy and it's growing tons of algae.

Honestly I think I'll just let that be an algae field for my snails and such to feast on whenever they're hungry lol.

Looks super sleek and clean! I'm amazed at the size of that and at the fact that its not hideous lol. As far as keeping the glass clean... For the inside I wipe the tank down with my nanomag every night regardless of if I see algae or not. and For the outside of the glass, when it comes to like water drips I usually let them dry and wipe the glass with a small piece of soft paper towel or toilet paper and use just a bit of extra pressure and it usually comes off pretty easily and its safe as well. I tend to rub in circular motions too, not sure if it matters... just my method haha. but DAAAAYYUUUMMM tank looks amaaaazzziiinggg!

soo....i tried cleaning the glass yesterday during water change. complete fail. i have some really hard stubborn algae growing on the glass. will try razor blade this weekend. and finally got some tubing for the skimmer. it's LIVE! bubbbbles everywhere! my PicO Skimmer 2.0 needs lots of air to produce bubbles but this one needs way less. I had to dial down the air pump alot. It makes sense though since the PicO Skimmer has a much wider diameter. Can't wait to see some skimmate.

• Like 1

5 days of running this MAME skimmer and amazed at amount of stuff it pulled out. Still looks very sexy in the display. My wife thinks I am crazy cuz she caught me just staring at the bubbles. I swear it's therapeutic. On other tank news, I plan to "torch" this tank tonight. Gonna swap all the hammers with the torches from my 12 gallon. They are getting too big over there =P.

bubbles!!

15390882709_fd8217e5f0.jpg

5 days of running this. Still breaking in so it's more wet than I would like. The color is darker puke in real life.

15577490325_85c46530ca.jpg

When you think of making it operational?

running for 5 days now! it's working great!

• Like 5

Beautiful dude just beautiful - What lens are you using?

I've been checking my only LFS for a while lately and they haven't brought the Nuvo 20's in yet :( Sadly...

Beautiful dude just beautiful - What lens are you using?

I've been checking my only LFS for a while lately and they haven't brought the Nuvo 20's in yet :( Sadly...

I usually use Tamron 60mm f2.8. Sometimes the Nikon 35mm f1.8.

I just finished finished transferring all the torches over and rearranging alot of stuff in the 12g. Sadly, I will be at work from 7am to 9pm most of the week for a company conference then san francisco for a long weekend. I will have to rely on my wife to tell me how things are doing in the tank. Last time I went to san francisco, i came back to half my stuff dead in both tanks. I am hoping history doesn't repeat itself...

5 days of running this MAME skimmer and amazed at amount of stuff it pulled out. Still looks very sexy in the display. My wife thinks I am crazy cuz she caught me just staring at the bubbles. I swear it's therapeutic. On other tank news, I plan to "torch" this tank tonight. Gonna swap all the hammers with the torches from my 12 gallon. They are getting too big over there =P.

bubbles!!

https://flic.kr/p/ps3idH'>15390882709_fd8217e5f0.jpg

5 days of running this. Still breaking in so it's more wet than I would like. The color is darker puke in real life.

https://flic.kr/p/pJwHap'>15577490325_85c46530ca.jpg

running for 5 days now! it's working great!

Finally, you could tell me that characteristic is your air producer? I think I will pass the Mame skimmer ....... i begin to hate my tunze 9001

• Like 1

Sorry for late responses. Been pretty busy lately =). Still seeing turf algae but not much cyano anymore. This is after I went on vacation for a long weekend without doing any tank maintenance. Gonna clean out stuff this weekend with a big water change.

So does the skimmer fit in the chamber in the back?

Sorry, didn't get a chance to try this yet but I will this weekend. Gonna take the pump out to clean it so I will move the skimmer into there too.

Finally, you could tell me that characteristic is your air producer? I think I will pass the Mame skimmer ....... i begin to hate my tunze 9001

I am using the Whisper Pump rated for 20g but I am sure you can be fine with a 10g air pump.

• Like 1
So I been noticing weak flow from the 606 pump. I took it out over the weekend and cleaned it, and now flow is awesome. I changed out the carbon + phosguard + purigen too. With the addition of the skimmer, turf algae is disappearing more and more every day! Woooohoo.
My GSP is also growing ON the glass. I plan to scrape it off next weekend and glue it back to the backwall. This is the first time I have to "trim" coral in this tank. Feels kinda good to know things are growing fast =).

So does the skimmer fit in the chamber in the back?

Yup, it fits perfectly in the return pump chamber IF you dont have a heater in it. I tried it on Sunday. Your return pump has to sit at the bottom too. I think during the summer, that's where I will have the skimmer since heater is not needed.

• Like 2

Some pics to keep this thread going =). Been running the Nanobox Tide on more blues than before. Really like it.

https://flic.kr/p/pWrdsd'>15712216136_2464c4d2a6.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/p2Kj1s'>15115972554_81e6ca45f0.jpg

nom nom nom

https://flic.kr/p/p2NeAt'>15116543043_85348e4efd.jpg

ricordea arch

https://flic.kr/p/p2KiJf'>15115971614_1ef60095db.jpg

close up of my fav yellow ric

https://flic.kr/p/pG75fM'>15550050489_b84bcbec59.jpg

cute lil hammer

https://flic.kr/p/p2KiyL'>15115971064_8262d61b5a.jpg

orange cloves

https://flic.kr/p/pG755g'>15550049879_50502c3422.jpg

• Like 3

Usually a slight bump in exposure and cropping / straightening if needed. For example, here's the same ric arch picture without any editing. I have a custom white balance on the camera that's tuned to the 12g. Since I run the Spec with more blue, the pictures have a more actinic look.

Finally, it depends on how you take the pictures. Top down shots will have more pop and color compared to a straight on shot.

15737645642_4cdc15cc3f.jpg

• Like 1

I love how a (dslr that is what you're using right ? Nikon if I remember correctly...) can capture a bluer light,compared to my Sony Point n Shoot. Even in manual mode,its blows more than Clay Aiken lol. Amazing pictures nonetheless Ninja.

• Like 1

I love how a (dslr that is what you're using right ? Nikon if I remember correctly...) can capture a bluer light,compared to my Sony Point n Shoot. Even in manual mode,its blows more than Clay Aiken lol. Amazing pictures nonetheless Ninja.

Yup, a Nikon D7000. It's a pretty old camera now. I been itching to upgrade but rather spend the money on corals =P. The DSLR definitely gives you more control, but I have seen some pretty awesome macros from advanced P & S.