Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxima placement Biocube 29 Halide -> Leds

Nocturnal

Update. I've had the clam about a month and it seems healthy. Maybe a little less colorful than I'd hoped but that could be the clam itself.

I just swapped out my lighting to a diy led fixture and wanted to get opinions about placement again. The fixture is full spectrum with 28 3w cree LEDs which are about 6" off the tank. Right now they are at about 30% output as I acclimate. Everybody in the tank looks happy so far. The led fixture at 100% is definitely brighter than the 150w hqi but I know there is some controversy about clams and LEDs.

Should I move it higher and what to watch out for regarding too much or too little light?

What do you guys think about placement for my setup? Right now I have it on the sandbed (sitting on a flat rock). I feel like the light there is probably sufficient, but would it be better to place it higher?

For reference, right now it's about where I have the black circle. There is a ledge on my structure where the red circle is that is large enough for the clam and it's flat rock to sit. In the next month(s) I'll be replacing the Halide with an LED setup that should have plenty of punch.

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/noct101/media/180f9583-7e84-48fb-9108-3d9c7dcecc75_zpsac2b47ff.jpg.html]180f9583-7e84-48fb-9108-3d9c7dcecc75_zps[/url]

It's not that they don't like them, but most clams need a good strong light and MH provides that. LED's can be hit and miss as to how much usable PAR they provide and water cuts that down quite a bit the deeper you go. With the MH you can put the clam anywhere and not worry about if it is enough light.

Clams don't like LEDs?

This is a loaded question. I can only answer for myself and those I personally know, who have dumped their LED's for T5's or halides. of course there are those that keep clams under LED's, i just dont know any of them personally and I dont believe half the garbage I read.

This is a loaded question. I can only answer for myself and those I personally know, who have dumped their LED's for T5's or halides. of course there are those that keep clams under LED's, i just dont know any of them personally and I dont believe half the garbage I read.

Ok. I'm in a good spot either way at this point. My display tank is upstairs and it get's too warm up there in the summer (don't want to shell out for a chiller) so LEDs there are a must. If the clam doesn't do so well under the LEDs I have the option to move it to my frag or play tank in the basement that both have Halides on them.

I also have a BC29 and I switched from MH and went with LEDs. I got tired of fighting the heat and replacing bulbs every year. To keep things sort of cool, I had no less than 4 fans inside the hood plus an external duo cooling fan. The noise sounded like 747s taking off.

I had Dave Fason (NanoBoxReef) do a nice retro-fit of LEDs in the hood and I couldn't be happier. The color of the corals (Acros) and growth is outstanding. No noise, less heat, less power consumption, no more bulbs to replace..... What's not to like???

Now as to the clam, I have a 3 1/2" maxima and I have it placed on the sand bed. I didn't have a flat rock for it, so I made a flat rock out of epoxy. The clam immediately anchored its' foot to it and is (dare I say it?) "Happy as a ........."

BTW, Here's a photo

ttj6.jpg

Archived