Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

Looks awesome man

Well I added an ati blue+ and actinic to my fixture to go along with the ushio 14k and I must say I like the look right now. I also am giving another background a shot to see how I like it. I used frosted cling film from home depot and I am not opposed to the look so far but can't decide if its going to stay.

ftsupdate8-1side_zpscc3f2133.jpg

ftsupdate8-1_zps6b8f94d3.jpg

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must've missed something somewhere, did you frost the back panel? derp, I can't read, looks really nice!! love the frosted back panel..

tank is really looking nice, loving the scape, and it looks very natural to me..

Looks awesome man

I must've missed something somewhere, did you frost the back panel? derp, I can't read, looks really nice!! love the frosted back panel..

tank is really looking nice, loving the scape, and it looks very natural to me..

Thanks for the comments, Yeh the frosted panel is a step in my effort to set up a backlighting led system for pictures. I havn't decided on the led strip but i have discovered through some experiments its going to have to be hella bright to offset the shadow cast by my halide from above.

So I was messing with my skimmers gate valve last night "fine tuning it" and went about my normal evening routine of wasting time and when i came back to my horror the gate valve was disconnected from the adjustment screw causing the water level in skimmer to shoot up and overflowing about 1/2 of the skimmer cup full of some seriously dark dry skimmate back into my system.

Being 1am I just decided to go to bed and in the morning check out how the water looked... well it was brown. 30 gallon emergency water change later ( aka 1 hour mixing time because I never have 30 gallons on hand) and the water is clearer and nothing is dead. Time will tell if I have a massive GHA outbreak as I am dealing with a small one right now this could put it over the edge.

Moral of the story, don't fine tune your gate valve on a skimz without checking to make sure it is still connected to the adjustment screw.

So I was messing with my skimmers gate valve last night "fine tuning it" and went about my normal evening routine of wasting time and when i came back to my horror the gate valve was disconnected from the adjustment screw causing the water level in skimmer to shoot up and overflowing about 1/2 of the skimmer cup full of some seriously dark dry skimmate back into my system.

Being 1am I just decided to go to bed and in the morning check out how the water looked... well it was brown. 30 gallon emergency water change later ( aka 1 hour mixing time because I never have 30 gallons on hand) and the water is clearer and nothing is dead. Time will tell if I have a massive GHA outbreak as I am dealing with a small one right now this could put it over the edge.

Moral of the story, don't fine tune your gate valve on a skimz without checking to make sure it is still connected to the adjustment screw.

Damn.

On the bright side, all that organic material originally came from your tank, and your skimmer is probably working overtime right now. :D

Damn.

On the bright side, all that organic material originally came from your tank, and your skimmer is probably working overtime right now. :D

Problem is I had it running to the point where it took like 3 weeks to fill the cup and it was black chunky nastiness. Pretty sure I had done 2 5 gallon water changes since the last time I had emptied the cup. I am running it wetter now and am going to vodka dose for a while if I see any algae growth spikes.

Problem is I had it running to the point where it took like 3 weeks to fill the cup and it was black chunky nastiness. Pretty sure I had done 2 5 gallon water changes since the last time I had emptied the cup. I am running it wetter now and am going to vodka dose for a while if I see any algae growth spikes.

Ewwww.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if someone else has mentioned it, but your rockscape reminds me so much of a fw planted tank with those branches sticking up. Very cool.

Not sure if someone else has mentioned it, but your rockscape reminds me so much of a fw planted tank with those branches sticking up. Very cool.

I have my fair share of FW experience/inspiration. Although tanks have come a long way planted wise since I was interested in them and kept them mostly because of new lighting. Power compacts were top of the line back then.

That MAME overflow is sexy!

Indeed, it will be sexier when I get around to a plumbing system that doesn't show off my in tube unintentional algae scrubber... lol

I found this ammusing from the mame blog btw... apparently translation is pretty crude:

Let's take a look at some of the phenomenon that occurs when the first, and not be balanced drainage and speed of the water inlet speed.

8109999ab23557ba54e9187d3771139c.gif water in the main aquarium brim when (put the priming) was allowed to pump operated automatic start and would overflow ( 2835b468982f1cb0ee44ea33164fa522.gif )

8109999ab23557ba54e9187d3771139c.gif Was automatic start, the water level in the main tank up and down (the water level is not constant cbd0243223a2b37d9ec888c214934d13.gif )

8109999ab23557ba54e9187d3771139c.gif Sound annoying shit is from the drain hose in the sump tank 0d4c01fcfef89267c4a68014f284bc6d.gif

Spot the funny, hint ^^^

Why haven't I seen this sooner? I love everything about this - the clean looking tank, the stand, the 'scape, the mame... Great work!

Stunning.

Still loving the natural scape of this tank, awesome build sir!

Why haven't I seen this sooner? I love everything about this - the clean looking tank, the stand, the 'scape, the mame... Great work!

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate them.

I have decided one of the things I want to strive for in this tank is diversity. I have started taking steps toward that and have added more to my cuc this week. Thanks to john at http://www.reefcleaners.org/ for the great shipping and service for most of these.

Some of my additions are:

female Emerald crab - no issues with this girl yet just pickin at stuff in the rockwork

cleaner shrimp- soon to be a pair but the lfs only had one in the other day

nassarius vibex

dwarf ceriths

florida ceriths

florida fighting conch- this guy is awesome and I honestly dont know if I will be able to feed enough to keep him, if I notice he slows down I may donate him to one of my lfs's

Fuzzy chiton- a cool little guy that moves slowly and hugs the rockwork. I enjoy watching him move around methodically.

Royal gramma - see him seldomly and mostly around feeding time heh

That sums up the livestock additions this week but this will be ongoing, I would like to see a thriving ecosystem whenever I sit down and stare at the tank.

As for coral additions I have added some different gsp varieties,

a few zoas,

a palau nepthea which is pretty finicky from what I have observed compared to my other coral,

Dark green torch white tips

Puffy purple and bright green mushroom ( really inflates in my tank for some reason, at the shop it hugged the rock)

an orange and teal(under the right lighting) acan frag,

and a great purple brush gorgonian courtesy of Morgan at http://www.reefgardener.net I'll have pics of this cute little gorg later tonight hopefully

jedimasterben

hay hey. :D

Can you link me to the frosted cling stuff that you used on the Home Depot site? I tried three times to spray on frosted spraypaint and effed it up each time, so I went ahead and set the tank up without it, but dayum yours looks pretty good!

Please and thank you!

I like the new additions!

I might try the frosted cling stuff on my tank. I used some of that frosted spray on one of my planted tanks a while back and it looked pretty good. So I'm interested in the link that Ben wants as well!

Archived