inTank Media Baskets

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or is that a thin sandbad?

Did you go with that on purpose?

It is caribsea special grade so it is a bit heavier than what I see most people use and doesn't get blown around at all which is a big plus. I went with a very shallow sandbed to make vacuuming it easy to get all the crap out without risking disturbing pockets of anaerobic bacteria from low oxygen spots in the sandbed. I like clean sandbeds they just look good haha.

• 2 weeks later...

New fts as of 3/17/2014

DSC_8056_zps5e57bac9.jpg

Diatoms in full force but I don't mind showin the ugly duckling phase. I got some coral in here that I am most likely going to trade in to my lfs mostly because I am taking down the other tank (since the wife is appeased that the clowns are in this one) The only thing I am keeping coral wise here is the gsp chunk in the middle which oddly enough is about half montipora which I hope gets overrun by gsp goodness. Also got my 2nd clown in there the other day and my girl took right to him no aggression whatsoever.

Need to get some cuc going soon. That'll probably be by the next update hopefully.

God that's a sexy aquascape!

Are you worried about cleaning the glass on the left?

heh not particularly, can get a scraper in between the walls where I need it. Its really kind of an illusion I can get my hand there just not make a fist.

heh not particularly, can get a scraper in between the walls where I need it. Its really kind of an illusion I can get my hand there just not make a fist.

God damn. This makes me want to do my rimless fluval edge even more now.

This past weekend, I was considering not continuing with my rimless fluval edge build because of all the distracting equipment that would have to be placed in the tank. Now I guess I'll just go paint them white with krylon because a rimless tank with a clear background looks sleek and clean as heck!

God damn. This makes me want to do my rimless fluval edge even more now.

This past weekend, I was considering not continuing with my rimless fluval edge build because of all the distracting equipment that would have to be placed in the tank. Now I guess I'll just go paint them white with krylon because a rimless tank with a clear background looks sleek and clean as heck!

I do prefer clear backgrounds. I need to backlight the tank when I shoot it for full effect without the wierd shadow the overhead light causes though. Another thing people do in fw that i never see do in sw is when they paint the background they only paint up to the water line to give more of a rimless look.

I do prefer clear backgrounds. I need to backlight the tank when I shoot it for full effect without the wierd shadow the overhead light causes though.

A backlit, clear background is breathtaking to me; it feels boundless, whereas a black background makes the tank feel like a picture.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

any updates????

This!

Well i have been fighting with cyano for the better part of the past 2 months and I feel like I am in the final stages of it. I had this happen with my last new tank too so whiles its occuring I just don't add anything and let nature do its thing while I stay on top of water changes and media changes. Once the sand bed is back to normal I will have updated shots with some new coral hopefully but really I just didn't want a thread with 100 pics of my tank looking the same.

I will say that I have enjoyed the mame as it is not nearly as difficult to maintain as some would lead you to believe. Just make sure when you reconnect everything is tight, I didnt pay attention to my return about a month ago and had it slowly leak about a gallon onto my floor before I noticed. Fortunately the max it would ever leak this way is about 2 gallons but no one wants water on their floors. Just push the tubes on tight and all is good, the glass on the mame is surprisingly strong.

Wow, just wow, this is awesome

Thank you much!

where the hell have you been?

good to hear your back

could we at least get something to look at?

Ignore the salt on the front glass/smudges been cleaning other stuff this week lol. As you can see there is a bit of a cyano issue in the process of clearing up via flow everywhere and water changes.

ftsupdate7-23_zpsc79dd887.jpg

Well this will be the last fts with no t5 supplementation as I decided on ordering some ati blue plus and true actinic tubes. Also I got my mp10 working on the tank, I replaced the back plate when i noticed for some reason one side was slightly thicker than the other, voila all problems solved, aka no cord in tank. Finger leather is pissed because the vortech actually hits in a bit where it is, hoping it gets used to it so I dont have to move it.

ftsupdate7-28_zps72c6b74d.jpg

YES! This tank is aliiive again! I can't wait to see it when you get those actinic bulbs.

Should be here weds or thurs I will be sure to post em asap

Well I added an ati blue+ and actinic to my fixture to go along with the ushio 14k and I must say I like the look right now. I also am giving another background a shot to see how I like it. I used frosted cling film from home depot and I am not opposed to the look so far but can't decide if its going to stay.

ftsupdate8-1side_zpscc3f2133.jpg

ftsupdate8-1_zps6b8f94d3.jpg

Archived