inTank Media Baskets

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

Well I got my MP10s wetside all cleaned up and set it up on the new tank and well, either the glass is too thick or my dry side bearings have completely crapped out because it sounds like a pile of crap. 10mm is supposedly outside the 9.5mm glass thickness tolerance the mp10s use so I am crap outta luck for using that and well honestly I like my replacements flow a lot better, a tunze 6045.

Not quite as sexy as the mp10 but with this thing in the tank it pushes a ton of water, with better surface agitation than my mp10 had at any depth.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I got my MP10s wetside all cleaned up and set it up on the new tank and well, either the glass is too thick or my dry side bearings have completely crapped out because it sounds like a pile of crap. 10mm is supposedly outside the 9.5mm glass thickness tolerance the mp10s use so I am crap outta luck for using that and well honestly I like my replacements flow a lot better, a tunze 6045.

Not quite as sexy as the mp10 but with this thing in the tank it pushes a ton of water, with better surface agitation than my mp10 had at any depth.

With a 50g tank, you should be in the MP40 range :)

With a 50g tank, you should be in the MP40 range :)

Overpriced for what my uses are, I have used the mp10 for about a year and some change and I dislike their lack of surface agitation an mp40 would be used at sub 50% to hit the flow rate I am going to be using in the tank (no sps) so the price of the mp40 coupled with the serious lack of flow I would need from it equates to what I feel is a waste of money. I tried to justify it believe me.

Also, the thing is silent. Any mp has noise running perfectly not much but its there, and an ungodly amount running imperfectly as I discovered.

Gorgeous tank build. I keep kicking myself for putting an overhang on my stand. When I first drew it, it was flush like yours.

I run my mp10 on 3/8" glass and have never had an issue with it.

Gorgeous tank build. I keep kicking myself for putting an overhang on my stand. When I first drew it, it was flush like yours.

I run my mp10 on 3/8" glass and have never had an issue with it.

Yeh I have read a bunch of accounts on where the mp10 should work fine on it so I am assuming the dry side bearings went bad, oh well may fix it eventually but for now I am actually enjoying the tunze. As for your stand overhang, if you don't like it is it possible to router it off without taking down the tank? I don't have a lot of woodworking experience but it seems doable.

If I use a trim router I think there's enough space bw the tank and edge, but I'll probably just make another top and swap them out. The top is plywood and then id have the edge exposed. I did solid edging on this top. Taking the tank down and getting the top off will only tank an hour.

Absolutely love the scape, the rubble pile looks awesome with the branches. I also really like the natural wood doors on the stand, great contrast. Can't wait to see you start stocking this.

If I use a trim router I think there's enough space bw the tank and edge, but I'll probably just make another top and swap them out. The top is plywood and then id have the edge exposed. I did solid edging on this top. Taking the tank down and getting the top off will only tank an hour.

Ah, I think your stand looks good either way I dunno if I would take the effort to take down my tank and put it back up after mostly because I am lazy when it comes to that kind of thing haha.

Absolutely love the scape, the rubble pile looks awesome with the branches. I also really like the natural wood doors on the stand, great contrast. Can't wait to see you start stocking this.

Thanks for the compliment, my stocking will probably be equally as odd hopefully. Got a lot of ideas floating around in my head just need to photoshop in the look on the tank to see if they will look right.

Heres the next phase on my aquascaping, the idea I am playing with is that once covered with corals your aquascape looks nothing like how it did when you laid out your original rockwork due to variances in shapes colors and textures. I am hoping to preserve these branches shapes by sparsely placing only very small polyp types of corals on them and leaving the bulk of the branches exposed. The hillside however will be eventually covered with hopefully very considerate coral placement with attention paid especially to growth patterns.

DSC_0483_zps0962c3c0.jpg

Still got a few more things I plan to do to this before it gets wet but hopefully this is an idea of the direction I am headed.

to my eye-maybe remove about 40% of the ruble leaving some big pieces in,also keeping the branches in. Maybe making the bottom part look like one rock with some cave or something as opposed to a "pile of rock". I think with a little bit of negative space incorporated into the rock, it would stand out that much more. Either way this looks rather fantastic!

to my eye-maybe remove about 40% of the ruble leaving some big pieces in,also keeping the branches in. Maybe making the bottom part look like one rock with some cave or something as opposed to a "pile of rock". I think with a little bit of negative space incorporated into the rock, it would stand out that much more. Either way this looks rather fantastic!

That'd definitely make it more traditional, I am trying to treat the live rock rubble pile essentially as a stacked substrate. The real shape of it will come when corals are added with the tonga branches essentially being like twigs in a flower arrangement.

looks good, but would their be a detritus buildup deep within the rock rubble?

No worse than what rockwall reefers have been doing for years, in theory haha.

No worse than what rockwall reefers have been doing for years, in theory haha.

A turkey baster blast from time to time would probably take care of it all.

Shit; now I need to derim my sump.

haha, I suggest getting lots of razor blades and a cheapo heat gun. My 20$ one gets to 1200 degrees, melt the crap out of one part of the rim and just peel it off as ya melt the rest. took 5 mins, the silicone removal... uh no comment.

A turkey baster blast from time to time would probably take care of it all.

yeh atleast get it into the water column. Below the outer surface of rubble is mostly big rocks with open gaps between em, I may even just be able to lift a few siphon and replace em.

CustomAquariumBx
I got it filled with rodi currently figured I would snap a few shots since the muck died down from last night, still a bit dirty though. DSC_0496asSmartObject-1_zpsa9cfd992.jpgDSC_0492asSmartObject-1_zpsd89c8cd5.jpg On a side note my mag 7 is the biggest piece of crap ever, not only did it come with a chipped impeller shaft making it quite noisy I find it absurd the housing around which the impeller spins has a few tiny bumps that needed to be sanded off from the plastic mold. For what one of these things cost I can deal with the 60 hz buzz I can't however deal with the obnoxious sound of an impeller clicking.
Simply beautiful!!

Where'd you find the mame? I've been looking for one for another tank I have planned, for my girlfriend. She's a reef addict too lol

Looking great Hey!

I dig the scape! Nice clean setup.

Everything looks top notch. Scape looks sweet off to one side. +1

I really like how clean this set up looks. The scape kind of goes with the wall as well. Very nice.

Thank you very much guys, I appreciate all the compliments on the scape even though the real scape is when its covered in coral!

Simply beautiful!!

Where'd you find the mame? I've been looking for one for another tank I have planned, for my girlfriend. She's a reef addict too lol

I bought the mame used but I know mame is taking orders, if you email them they will send you an email back with pics of what you could order with the number beside it. You choose the number and then they give you payment instructions. It is pretty straight forward but a pain in the butt ordering from em.

Looks good without corals.

Maybe I missed it, what are your stocking plans?

haha I should run it fowlr with the reaction it has gotten but thats missing the point of it all. I am actually a huge fan of softies so expect softies and a few lps here n there. As for fish I am undecided at the moment. I have thoughts of dwarf angel harems one day and the next day I start thinking wrasse harems. Either way I tend to like multiples of the same types of fish in a tank. If you have any ideas for livestock I'd love to hear em.

That tank is screaming for some contrast.

As for fish, those all sound like awesome ideas. Same species tanks I dig.

I haven't said anything yet in my build but I plan to go all montipora and a wartskin frogfish. :ninja:

That tank is screaming for some contrast.

As for fish, those all sound like awesome ideas. Same species tanks I dig.

I haven't said anything yet in my build but I plan to go all montipora and a wartskin frogfish. :ninja:

Contrast there will be, I am going to be wierd and buying multiples of frags and placing like a garden instead of a collection.

I dig your livestock ideas aswell, I am just way to lazy for higher maint. corals, plus the wife only likes the moving corals her fav being the torch ofc. That fish looks awesome btw the color variations are nice too I didn't realize there were so many.

Archived