Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got a clam, it's not doing too hot from what I can see, both mantles open but only on half the clam, I am told to just hold out so I am. Reponds to shadows well so I got that going for me.

Went to the LFS and got some microvert, I was pleasantly surprised by the crazy feeding response my tank had to this. I love feeding my corals.

Also I bought another bottle of microbe lift special blend to dose my tank weekly with bacteria. I have read a few articles on bacterial diversity in our systems and I figure I may as well try out dosing it and see what the effects are. Downside, my house smells like a trashcan because of dosing this, I really hate the smell.

Hope it does well for you- let's see some pics!!

lol pics will come in a while probably, i need to trim up my red macro algae and straighten some stuff up before I go postin more fts's.

lol pics will come in a while probably, i need to trim up my red macro algae and straighten some stuff up before I go postin more fts's.

I don't always clean my tank but when I do it is because I want to take photos

I don't always clean my tank but when I do it is because I want to take photos

thats the secret to reefkeeping, most stuff does best when left alone ime. Plus my cuc needs algae on the glass to eat, would starve otherwise.

thats the secret to reefkeeping, most stuff does best when left alone ime. Plus my cuc needs algae on the glass to eat, would starve otherwise.

No maintenance reef tank :) :):):)

So I got a clam, it's not doing too hot from what I can see, both mantles open but only on half the clam, I am told to just hold out so I am. Reponds to shadows well so I got that going for me.

Goodluck with the clam, still on my list of things I really wanna try but keep forgetting to order until after my order has already shipped lol

Also I bought another bottle of microbe lift special blend to dose my tank weekly with bacteria. I have read a few articles on bacterial diversity in our systems and I figure I may as well try out dosing it and see what the effects are. Downside, my house smells like a trashcan because of dosing this, I really hate the smell.

Be careful with that stuff, you can overdose it and throw you bacteria out of wack as well. I did the recommended doses and around 3 months I developed a horrible funk of nasty gunk that I'd never had in and have never experienced since stopping its use. And yes, that stuff smells HORRIBLE!! I don't miss that smell LOL

Goodluck with the clam, still on my list of things I really wanna try but keep forgetting to order until after my order has already shipped lol

Be careful with that stuff, you can overdose it and throw you bacteria out of wack as well. I did the recommended doses and around 3 months I developed a horrible funk of nasty gunk that I'd never had in and have never experienced since stopping its use. And yes, that stuff smells HORRIBLE!! I don't miss that smell LOL

I don't intend to follow their dosing schedule as it sounds like a recipe for what happens when you dose too much vodka and get the strings. I dose vodka from time to time aswell, so yeh all things in moderation lol.

Clam is still alive still doesn't look any better lol, honestly I should've just shelled out 180 for a big one at my lfs but to kill a 180$ clam because of a noob mistake didn't sit well with me.

Also, went to the columbus zoo and checked out the aquarium today with my oldest son, he loves the aquariums lol. Saw a pair of tomato clowns being hosted by an RFA which was cool. Also had some skunks in a haddoni which was cool aswell but not nearly as unusual. Also noticed they had some seriously robust chromis in their system and it just made me want to know what the hell they are feeding.

I don't intend to follow their dosing schedule as it sounds like a recipe for what happens when you dose too much vodka and get the strings. I dose vodka from time to time aswell, so yeh all things in moderation lol.

Yeah I didn't either but I had a few people tell me it was fine you couldn't overdose the stuff and since I was mixing vodka and vinegar as well it wouldn't be an issue.... I knew better but I wanted to be able to feed even more LOL

Clam is still alive still doesn't look any better lol, honestly I should've just shelled out 180 for a big one at my lfs but to kill a 180$ clam because of a noob mistake didn't sit well with me.

I'm sure it will take some time to get lookin better. I hear ya on not wanting to pull a noob and kill a nice $180 piece. I've heard the bigger ones are alot easier to keep tho atleast, mostly just decent water, and strong lights..... I need to read up on them a bit more then I'll probably grab a few and give it a go :)

Also, went to the columbus zoo and checked out the aquarium today with my oldest son, he loves the aquariums lol. Saw a pair of tomato clowns being hosted by an RFA which was cool. Also had some skunks in a haddoni which was cool aswell but not nearly as unusual. Also noticed they had some seriously robust chromis in their system and it just made me want to know what the hell they are feeding.

I've heard Columbus is nice, sounds like the aquarium is pretty cool. My boys both are showing nice interest in the tanks, hopefully it continues :)

Yeah I didn't either but I had a few people tell me it was fine you couldn't overdose the stuff and since I was mixing vodka and vinegar as well it wouldn't be an issue.... I knew better but I wanted to be able to feed even more LOL

I'm sure it will take some time to get lookin better. I hear ya on not wanting to pull a noob and kill a nice $180 piece. I've heard the bigger ones are alot easier to keep tho atleast, mostly just decent water, and strong lights..... I need to read up on them a bit more then I'll probably grab a few and give it a go :)

I've heard Columbus is nice, sounds like the aquarium is pretty cool. My boys both are showing nice interest in the tanks, hopefully it continues :)

Ya it makes a nice day trip for us, lots of animals to stare at but he loved the aquarium this time so maybe I will plan a trip somewhere more aquarium oriented soon. As for the clam, yeh I hear bigger= easier I just like the satisfaction of seeing a piece grow for me. May be a mistake in this case lol.

I dose my vodka very lightly based on what I see drops nitrates. I only continue it for a short while before I discontinue as I don't want to possible end up with old tank syndrome with mulm all up in the crevices of my rockwork. The bacteria in a bottle thing I plan to be diverse in the products I dose probably twice a month. Need to order some dr tims and some biospira aswell as a few others I can't remember the names of, but I like the concept so I must try it lol. No science here just looking at visible changes. I did notice my water got crazy clear when I added the special blend though.

Ya it makes a nice day trip for us, lots of animals to stare at but he loved the aquarium this time so maybe I will plan a trip somewhere more aquarium oriented soon.

That'd be awesome, definitely nice when you have someone else to enjoy them with

As for the clam, yeh I hear bigger= easier I just like the satisfaction of seeing a piece grow for me. May be a mistake in this case lol.

Totally the same way, a big part of it to me is watching things grow. :) The "end result" (as if it ever really ends lol) of a nice full, grown out tank is nice for sure but knowing it started from practically nothing but through hardwork and patience it paid off is where its really at IMO :)

I dose my vodka very lightly based on what I see drops nitrates. I only continue it for a short while before I discontinue as I don't want to possible end up with old tank syndrome with mulm all up in the crevices of my rockwork. The bacteria in a bottle thing I plan to be diverse in the products I dose probably twice a month. Need to order some dr tims and some biospira aswell as a few others I can't remember the names of, but I like the concept so I must try it lol. No science here just looking at visible changes. I did notice my water got crazy clear when I added the special blend though.

MB7 and special blend both made the water incredibly clear for me as well.

• 2 weeks later...

How's the new clam doing?

+1 ˆ

And pics please :) We haven't seen this lovely tank in a while!

clam bit the dust after an attempted freshwater dip for PM as it was clearly getting worse the longer I waited watching. I should've dipped it day 1 of noticing the symptoms honestly. Kind of a bummer but I won't be buying any more ORA clams as right now they seem to not be doing too well based on what I have been reading in the clam forums.

I'll toss up some pics when I get back in town next week probably after I trim up some stuff. Nothing really different aside from a bit of growth though.

meh I will be trying another but pretty much it looked like crap from the get go, not a good way to start out your first clam experience as once they go downhill it can go pretty fast.

meh I will be trying another but pretty much it looked like crap from the get go, not a good way to start out your first clam experience as once they go downhill it can go pretty fast.

I think as a funeral to this clam we need a FTS? :)

Glad to hear it wasn't enough to make ya give up on em atleast. Now just gotta find a good healthy one! :)

Dirty fts snapshot, image is darker than usual using my standard settings, pretty sure the lens I was using has some issues at the aperture/iso I had it set at hence the wierd color. A more formal shot should hopefully be up with all the macro trimmed up (crazy how much it grows in less than 2 months)

15696797046_a4b9ecca37_h.jpg

Archived