Coral Vue Hydros

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canopy is mostly done. Quad 48" T5HO's w/o reflectors.. I'll figure something out later. 6700k, 10000k, ATI blue plus, ATI aquablue special. Camera doesn't do it justice.

post-508-0-84371800-1389800760_thumb.png

I really need to start linking images from my server instead of uploading them here.... Got some more work done and started figuring out where I'll be running the wiring for everything. Boxed off the left side door. This is where the main power strip will be along with some arduino controllers and such.

This is the inside of the left side door that I boxed in. Plenty of room for equipment and wiring. This will help keep it away from the moisture.

post-508-0-82085800-1390362534_thumb.png

post-508-0-31646100-1390362842_thumb.png

:unsure: The bulkheads I ordered showed up this morning, which means I'll be drilling the tank soon. I'm a little nervious about doing it on a new tank LOL. I also picked up a 145gph 12v dc submersable pump that I'll be using for the ATS/Arduino setup I'm working on. Need to find a ceramic shaft to convert my main 800gph return pump, which is easier said than done..

Playing with the plumbing layout for the overflow box. I'll be testing it sometime this week with the sump to see how well it works out.

post-508-0-48870000-1390543726_thumb.png

Is it a Durso-style drain? If so, the water will have a long way to fall and you'll have quite a bit of noise from that.

It is indeed. I'm aware of the noise that it will generate and I'm not bothered by "white noise" at all. I'd rather have the box agitated so debris don't settle in there. Gulping, gurgling, and the sump is where I'll be trying to cut down on some of the noise. All that should be fairly easy to tune out and dial in.

Got the back painted and the overflow siliconed in. Now the wait begins for a few days before I can do anything else to it.

Ignore the hard water stains.. needs a good cleaning.

post-508-0-50300400-1390779264_thumb.png

post-508-0-79013900-1390779475_thumb.png

Stand is lookin very nice, also a fan of your bulb selection there.

Thanks! I gotta clean it all up still and then slap stain + sealer on it. I still think I need more light down the road, but, at first they should be fine. I've been leaning towards doing a strictly Atlantic/Caribbean reef rather than a mixed reef. Decisions, decisions...

jedimasterben

So it just drains out then fills back up? IMHO you'd be better off to just have a lot of flow going on in it (and besides, the algae will want more flow than the filling process looks to provide).

So it just drains out then fills back up? IMHO you'd be better off to just have a lot of flow going on in it (and besides, the algae will want more flow than the filling process looks to provide).

I won't get into any of the heavy arguments that come with the subject of ATS. I live no more than 10min drive from most of our local shallow reefs. They all provide great examples of turf in it's natural habitat. Some of the areas in which it grows the best, are exposed for long periods of time, without any water or flow at all. This is due to the fact that the salt and minerals retard the evaporation rate of the water coating said surfaces. I will say again, this is only a small scale test and I have the pump limited to about 1/2 speed via the controller. It was mostly focused on fill time and drain time of the programming.

Aged/pickled/distressed/antiqued w/e you wanna call the style I went with. Still more painting and trim work to go. Just got done staining the doors. Got around to fixing my server, so no more stealing Chris's storage space :D Canopy is next to get the treatment.

1.png

2.png

Managed to dig out and find one of the first rocks of my scape from the tons of rocks that I picked up. Oddly it has a perfect 90° corner on the one side that fits perfectly against the back glass and overflow box. Scrap piece of the overflow shown.

3.png

Archived