Pod Your Reef

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

Thanks! I haven't fully decided on the entire layout of the tank just yet. I may do something similar to the Smithsonian Atlantic tank setup shown below, though on a much smaller scale... Deep on one side and shallow on the other with the main bulk of rock being in between.

coraltank8-30-01b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't done much of anything lately :( Got pretty ill from an infected wisdom tooth and had to have all four removed.. Then, I got pretty sick afterwards too. Not fun at all.... Starting to feel much better now, so I'll be back at it asap!

Aw man, that sucks to hear. I like the looks of what you have going so far, though. I'm sure you will be back to a steady pace in no time.

I absolutely love to look of the custom cabinet work you have done, especially the distressing/stain you chose to do. Very interesting design for your algae scrubber as well. Out of curiosity, what are you using to control the fill/unfill of that scrubber?

As far as you past tanks, I totally feel for you. My parents live in South Florida and also lost power for 2-3 weeks after Wilma. That is my biggest nightmare for my new Nano tank. I live in Orlando, so its not quite as bad of a threat, but definitely still is a strong potential that it could happen someday. What is your backup plan for this new tank, god forbid it ever happened again?

Aged/pickled/distressed/antiqued w/e you wanna call the style I went with. Still more painting and trim work to go. Just got done staining the doors. Got around to fixing my server, so no more stealing Chris's storage space :D Canopy is next to get the treatment.

1.png

2.png

Phenomenal!

Thanks! The 12v pump for the scrubber is being controlled with Arduino (ATmega328) currently. Plan to move it to a smaller ATtiny85 down the road when I get time to have a pcb printed for it. I'll be doing a bunch of stuff for this setup with Arduino :D. This time around, since we actually own our house, we're working on getting a full on backup 3 fuel generator to run the entire house no problem.

Thanks! The 12v pump for the scrubber is being controlled with Arduino (ATmega328) currently. Plan to move it to a smaller ATtiny85 down the road when I get time to have a pcb printed for it. I'll be doing a bunch of stuff for this setup with Arduino :D. This time around, since we actually own our house, we're working on getting a full on backup 3 fuel generator to run the entire house no problem.

Awesome. Glad to hear about the generator. Now get back to work! Following this build.

Took some time to fill the tank on the stand to test the sump and plumbing. Stand is holding up to the combined weight of the 75 and 20 filled no problem. Have a small leak on the return side that needs fixing and also need to dampen the sump pump... it's vibrating like crazy and transferring it through the entire stand. Everything flows nicely, no issues with overflowing on power cut. I need to reduce the outlet pipes and maybe put some modular plumbing on them

Since the canopy isn't done, I'm using a single strip light to observe the flow. Gotta love the color of unfiltered Florida ground water >_> Outlets were turned up to prevent water inside the lines so I could repair a leak on it. I'm happy with the main tanks water level when running. I left myself some splashing/surge room on purpose for a wave maker.

5.png

Is it out in the center of the room?

It's still in my guesthouse where I've been building it. Unfortunately, our bedroom where it will be going, still needs tile laid before it can be setup in it's permanent location. Will be moving it in a month, if I can manage to get the room finished LOL...

Just got the canopy stained :lol: It'll lighten up as it drys out more. Gotta wait for awhile before I can paint the interior flat white.

6.png

Ordered a AquaMaxx HOB-1 skimmer from one of the forum sponsors (Premium Aquatics). Still need to decide on an RO/DI setup.. Probably going to go with a SpectraPure unit, not 100% sure just yet. ATO? Maybe. Hurts the wallet not having any of my old equipment.

Canopy done and reassembled! That water color is no good.. LOL. RO/DI unit coming soon! Still thinking about what I want to do for more lighting.

7.png

Plan for today is to silicone the baffles in my sump. Going with singles as I'm not too worried about micro bubbles being an issue. I'll post a picture later on once its finished.

As long as it takes me to rip up carpet, lay tile, and paint in the bedroom where it's going. Hope to have it up in a month ish.. Still have some stuff to acquire for it though. Testing supplies, chems, heater, RO/DI, water storage, more lights, sand, and the initial salt mix before switching over to natural ocean water. All of my previous tanks used ocean water and I'm quite comfortable using it. Not quite sure how I'll be cycling this one yet..

My skimmer showed up :lol: but it looks like I'm going to have to force feed it water from the sump drain, due to water level that I've set the sump at being so low vs where it needs to be for the skimmer to pull up water. :closedeyes: No big deal, though it means I need to adjust and change a few things on the drain side.

10.png

Archived