Top Shelf Aquatics

josh_scci

My new baby maxima moved himself under an overhang where he is getting hardly getting any light and he is upside down with part of his mantle in the sand. I read somewhere to never use force to move a calm but I can see where he attached and I don't want to loose the little guy. Any help is appreciated.

I would try to move it. Try using something thin like a single edge razor blade or an old credit card to see if you can force it to let go, be gentle.

Moving the rock is not gonna happen. All 40lbs are bound together with epoxy and acrylic rods permanently. I will try and move him gently. He still looks good though.

You can cut the foot/attachment with a very sharp blade. The place to cut it is where it is attached to the rock - NOT close to the clam.

The foot looks delicate but will need a sharp blade to cut properly. Move the clam to a well lit spot. Maybe fashion a cradle out of epoxy, let it harden and then sit the clam in the cradle in the new spot.

Clams most often move because they do not like the flow.

I got him loose fairly easily with a credit card as close to the rock as possible. I moved him to a new location and he's already open again. What kind of flow do they typically like?

Archived