Coral Vue Hydros

tetraodon

ive been doing alot of research about clams, and most of it is conflicting, about lighting ive read that LEDs are great or horrible for clams. in my tank i have a 8 watt LED light with 6 super blue and 2 10,000k diodes, and its done great for my coral, im able to get a clam within 4-5 inches under the light, could this distance produce high enough PAR? i also had an idea of building a small secondary light just for the clam, but i cant find any PAR data for any LED diode, only on whole fixtures, if i were to build a light what color should i use?

Led is just fine for a clam. I can't answer for your specific situation, your diode combo pretty much sucks, but should be enough par up high I would think. This question may need the attention of the lighting sub forum...

Led is just fine for a clam. I can't answer for your specific situation, your diode combo pretty much sucks, but should be enough par up high I would think. This question may need the attention of the lighting sub forum...

people have said it sucks, but my coral seam to like it, there where some articles that said blue was more efficient for PAR than white. i wanted to see what people here said

Par is not the only thing that matters.. You can have all the par you'd ever need and have ugly corals without the right spectrum. It's like a 1000hp engine with crappy tires. The HP doesn't matter of you can't use it ;)

It's about more than growth. Is about color and color rendition. That combo may make your coral look okayand maybe even grow well but it'd look a lot better under proper spectrum.

Anyway. This is about a clam, not about led selection so I'll stay on topic :)

is there a way to tell if its the proper spectrum? and what is the proper spectrum, i know the algae in the coral tissue prefers the blue spectrum more, alot of info is confusing and conflicting

well i know about photosythesis, just been a while and i know they differ from plants a bit, i allways see MH lights as the standard, im curious as to what LEDs would be good for clams, as i know diodes can differ greatly in output and such,

i also posted in the lighting forum, but i havent gotten replies

so if i understand many wave lengths need to be covered to really do well, and a full spectrum is the best light use? guess i gotta read more,

That's not to say coral can't survive or even thrive under your light, just that it could be better, much better, both for the coral and for your viewing pleasure..

from what i feel i understand a reef breeders value light should be very good for coral and clams, thats the light i plan to get for when i upgrade

Archived