Pod Your Reef

Clam Help. Take a look. Came home to this....

AMAYEU

When I came home, my clam looked like the below. Never seen this before. Retracted alot and not in a defensive position. When I picked it up it didnt try to close. Felt like lock jaw for a clam. Is it gaping or pinched mantle. I accidentally bumped the clam last week. I felt the tearing of the foot from the rock.

I turned off my skimmer, carbon and gfo reactor as well.

Any help would or thoughts would help.

E1F6A63C-FE72-4E75-A914-0209A7A3D123_zps

E7241197-AD77-42F7-BB86-6CB29F211861_zps

Sorry but there's nothing you can do for your clam anymore. It's too far gone to save.

Woke up this morning and its worse. Retracting more within its shell

Sorry about your clam.

Really bummed. Had it for 6 months too.

This is what it looked like before I got it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328603-clam-id-and-husbandry-help/

Good thing youre in SF.

Best sourdough bread on the planet.

Best with your chowder.

Was thinking about Cioppino with some Boudin's bread.

Good to see another SF reefer. Are you in the City?

Sorry about the clam. It is gone.

The ripped foot is most likely what did it. As for the locked jaw, in tridacnas the muscle that is around the hinge is actually designed to keep it open. This is so that it does what is natural which is extend the mantle to get light.

It actually needs a lot of energy to close itself. At least that is what James Fartheree said in his book.

Man that was a really nice teardrop maxima. The link you provided showed it really healthy too. Any changes in your water? I just lost a maxima recently that was doing the same thing as what your pics show. But I attribute it's demise to cold water when it was shipped, the bag was very cold, bummer.

How is your smaller clam doing?

Man that was a really nice teardrop maxima. The link you provided showed it really healthy too. Any changes in your water? I just lost a maxima recently that was doing the same thing as what your pics show. But I attribute it's demise to cold water when it was shipped, the bag was very cold, bummer.

How is your smaller clam doing?

My parameters have been a little out of whack in alk. Spiked it up to 10.5dkh and and over the 3 weeks got it down to 7.5k and trying to maintain at 8. Ca is steady at 450-480. Been a month on the mg testing but it was at 1550. I noticed when I changed and added more gfo 2-3 weeks ago the maxima started closing up slowly.

The small crocea is slowly closing up, but didn't have the overnight demise as the maxima.

Hope I can save it, if not I am done with clams.

Does a freshwater dip help with torn foots. I believe the little one has the same issue.

No a FW dip is for pests/Pinched mantle disease. A torn foot is an injury.

You could try to move the crocea higher. Not sure where it is or under what light in the tank.

Thanks! I put it higher.

Woke up this morning and its worse. Retracting more within its shell

Really bummed. Had it for 6 months too.

This is what it looked like before I got it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328603-clam-id-and-husbandry-help/'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328603-clam-id-and-husbandry-help/

Was thinking about Cioppino with some Boudin's bread.

Good to see another SF reefer. Are you in the City?

Sucks about the clam.

Good lord do I miss that Boudin bread though. That and the small chain that sells just soup.

Sucks about the clam. Good lord do I miss that Boudin bread though. That and the small chain that sells just soup.

You mean the "san francisco soup company" that's on almost every other block in the financial district.

You mean the "san francisco soup company" that's on almost every other block in the financial district.

Yes, that is the one. Amazing soup.

San Fran is a great town. I just don't know how you guys can afford to live there. I worked there for about 6 months (I'm an IT consultant).

Whoa...... something is going on in your tank, the clams don't like it.

Unfortunately, the crocea is looking like the maxima.

I think you are right, something is up. I did a 20% water change yesterday. I think I will do multiple water changes this week. I stopped dosing alk and ca... and let the water changes to its thing.

Such a bummer. The second one is on its way out too I'm afraid.
Hope you figure out what's going on. Good luck.

I think you are right, something is up. I did a 20% water change yesterday. I think I will do multiple water changes this week. I stopped dosing alk and ca... and let the water changes to its thing.

Your clams are starving to death and your water changes will make it worse.

Dirtier tank for sure. Not sure about the phyto.
My two clams are doing well with growth.

No skimmer and 10% WCs every 2 or 3 weeks.

So a dirtier tank and dose more phyto?

At worst the phyto will make the tank "dirtier".

Marine life is very odd at times. I actually have to add junk (algae pellets mostly) into my GSP only tank in order to keep it growing at a high rate. Fortunately I can be lax with my WCs so I hope my new clam stays healthy.

So a dirtier tank and dose more phyto?

cant really answer that without testing your water, but if i was you i would try it. SOme people dont need to feed their clams, and some people definitely do. It really depends on many other factors of your system. I feed mine everything in the book.

Archived