Cultivated Reef

Obi's Shallow Reef- Midas blenny and Pistol shrimp sharing den

BRADYBUNCH7

Saw your question on Ark's thread about what I did for cycling. I don't do the ZEOvit method so this info may not apply to your circumstance. I know nothing about ULNS tanks LOL. My tank is so far from that :lol:.

I used all live rock (cured or uncured). Dosed some Dr. Tim's bacteria in a bottle. Waited a couple of weeks. Didn't take long at all :).

Amazing tank and equipment, BTW. Impressive :).

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw your question on Ark's thread about what I did for cycling. I don't do the ZEOvit method so this info may not apply to your circumstance. I know nothing about ULNS tanks LOL. My tank is so far from that :lol:.

I used all live rock (cured or uncured). Dosed some Dr. Tim's bacteria in a bottle. Waited a couple of weeks. Didn't take long at all :).

Amazing tank and equipment, BTW. Impressive :).

Hahahaha

Im not planning to add Zeovit system until I have my tank cycled... WAY to complicated for me :P

Ok awesome! Heard good things about DR.tim!

Wow thanks a ton!

Thanks for your time gena B)

Hello guys,

Stand painted and ATO + Apex system- Mounted

Ok so I know that red is a very unique color... But I feel its the best fit for the room! Wbu?

Ps. Picture will be moved when Radion gets mounted :lol:

​Sorry Iphone pics :closedeyes:

Whole tank view

fbc8feb3-e35e-4406-8fc2-68a084774fcf_zps

Mounted Apex and Vortech Controller

017450b1-e1e0-4655-8aad-4893bf0b3ef8_zps

Just because...
4308c4b1-025e-4ee5-a580-a9ee8f4b2dbe_zps

Wait so I should get some cured live rock along with macro rocks?

But don't seed it!

Just Clean the Dry rock with (vinegar solution or acid bath)

Where does testing come into this? :lol:

THANKS

I suggest dry rock be soaked in RODI water for a few weeks before adding it to the tank. This will help leach out some phosphates. No need to use vinegar on dry rock, but it would not do any damage, just make sure you rinse it well in RO water after, you would not want to introduce any vinegar to the tank this way.

If you are not cycling the tank via Zeovit methodology but plan to use full Zeovit shortly after, I would dose ZEObak bacteria into the water column, this will seed the rock and substrate. You can also use Dr Tims as Gena suggested, both are good strains of bacteria.

Which testing are you referring to?

Ok great thanks for the response!

Yes I was considering them for cycling and seeding!

Like the website never talks about testing ammonia,nitrite and nitrate to tell when your cycle is finished! ;)

Thanks

I suggest dry rock be soaked in RODI water for a few weeks before adding it to the tank. This will help leach out some phosphates. No need to use vinegar on dry rock, but it would not do any damage, just make sure you rinse it well in RO water after, you would not want to introduce any vinegar to the tank this way.

If you are not cycling the tank via Zeovit methodology but plan to use full Zeovit shortly after, I would dose ZEObak bacteria into the water column, this will seed the rock and substrate. You can also use Dr Tims as Gena suggested, both are good strains of bacteria.

Which testing are you referring to?

BRADYBUNCH7

Mounting the RADION tonight :haha::naughtydance::wizard:

Also, Macbook coming.... great for customizing Apex and Radion!

WAY better than my slow 1990 desktop! haha

natalia_la_loca

I saw early in your thread that you were planning on running a refugium...FYI, I've been reading about Zeovit, and Korallen-Zucht advises that refugia are unnecessary/counterproductive when running a full Zeovit system.

I've also read (this was via the online forum rumor mill, so take it with a grain of salt) that zoas sometimes don't do well with Zeovit/ULNS. That said, KZ probably has additives that could provide the right nutrients for zoas. Some have said (again, on forums) that KZ Sponge Power makes zoas especially happy.

Your setup looks awesome :wub: Following along.

BRADYBUNCH7

Wow thanks for the response! :D

I will def check it out!

Thanks a ton! love to hear that B)

I saw early in your thread that you were planning on running a refugium...FYI, I've been reading about Zeovit, and Korallen-Zucht advises that refugia are unnecessary/counterproductive when running a full Zeovit system.

I've also read (this was via the online forum rumor mill, so take it with a grain of salt) that zoas sometimes don't do well with Zeovit/ULNS. That said, KZ probably has additives that could provide the right nutrients for zoas. Some have said (again, on forums) that KZ Sponge Power makes zoas especially happy.

Your setup looks awesome :wub: Following along.

BRADYBUNCH7

Big changes-

I am removing zeovit system from my build :furious: I am going to be using the BRS dual GFO and Carbon Reactor also I will now be able to keep a small refugium (mangroves, chateo, macro rock) Which will be perfect to harvest TONS of pods for a potential mandarin... Lets just see what happens! :rolleyes:

Hello guys,

Stand painted and ATO + Apex system- Mounted

Ok so I know that red is a very unique color... But I feel its the best fit for the room! Wbu?

Ps. Picture will be moved when Radion gets mounted :lol:

​Sorry Iphone pics :closedeyes:

Whole tank view

fbc8feb3-e35e-4406-8fc2-68a084774fcf_zps

Mounted Apex and Vortech Controller

017450b1-e1e0-4655-8aad-4893bf0b3ef8_zps

Just because...

4308c4b1-025e-4ee5-a580-a9ee8f4b2dbe_zps

That stand color ROCKS! Because.....it's the same color as my stand :lol:. Looks awesome!!!!!

What is the difference between the BRS reactor VS. TLF reactor?

Thanks

I use one BRS reactor for both carbon and gfo. Does a fine job. Very nicely constructed and very easy to use and maintain. I change my media weekly because I'm battling cyano. It's not even a real chore to do. I'm not familiar with the TLF, firsthand experience. I do know I remember reading parts break easily on it???? The BRS won't give you that sort of trouble.

Definitely do the fuge if you want a mandarin someday :).

The BRS ftw! I have the TLF currently and they get the job done. But with not a huge difference in price between the two. The BRS is way better built, easy to clean/maintenance and i really like there swivel 90° fittings better.

Q: With a 8''H AIO, how do you plan on cleaning incorporating either of these reactors into your tank? For a AIO maybe this would be a better choice

It looks like your choosing very quality components i.e. lights pumps etc.. for the tank itself. So you might as well stay with that kind of quality equipment for the engine of your tank. I'm a huge fan of sumps for many reasons, but mainly because they give you lots of room to house and correctly run all needed filtration equipment. Your stand looks like it was built to handle a nice sump below, jus saying. Great job on that light bar also, looks excellant.

Thanks Gena!

You put the same GFO and Carbon in the on canister?

Sweet!

Yah Im hoping :wub:

Yes, both in the same container. I just mix the two media together before I put it in.
BRADYBUNCH7

That stand color ROCKS! Because.....it's the same color as my stand :lol:. Looks awesome!!!!!

I use one BRS reactor for both carbon and gfo. Does a fine job. Very nicely constructed and very easy to use and maintain. I change my media weekly because I'm battling cyano. It's not even a real chore to do. I'm not familiar with the TLF, firsthand experience. I do know I remember reading parts break easily on it???? The BRS won't give you that sort of trouble.

Definitely do the fuge if you want a mandarin someday :).

Thanks Creds to my grandfather for such a great paint job :D

Looking good, love some shallow action. B)

Yes, both in the same container. I just mix the two media together before I put it in.

I do the same.

I change my media weekly because I'm battling cyano.

I too am battling some cyano, so annoying. :rant:

BRADYBUNCH7

The BRS ftw! I have the TLF currently and they get the job done. But with not a huge difference in price between the two. The BRS is way better built, easy to clean/maintenance and i really like there swivel 90° fittings better.

Q: With a 8''H AIO, how do you plan on cleaning incorporating either of these reactors into your tank? For a AIO maybe this would be a better choice

It looks like your choosing very quality components i.e. lights pumps etc.. for the tank itself. So you might as well stay with that kind of quality equipment for the engine of your tank. I'm a huge fan of sumps for many reasons, but mainly because they give you lots of room to house and correctly run all needed filtration equipment. Your stand looks like it was built to handle a nice sump below, jus saying. Great job on that light bar also, looks excellant.

Thanks,

Yes I was planning on mooting the reactor in the stand! I do really wish I had a sump :( But I will make sure to keep it low profile... Excluding the skimmer its tall but I think it looks fine!

Response: I agree... But I think I will keep my reactor under the sump. Because I would have a hard time replacing the media if it was in the back chamber I think... :lol:

Thanks for the compliments! Man do I wish I had a sump!

Yeah I was going for your radion mount but couldn't spend that much so I ended up with this DIY made of galvanized metal and it came out nice!

Sweet never even thought of that :D

Looking good, love some shallow action. B)

I do the same.

I too am battling some cyano, so annoying. :rant:

Thanks Man

I think I'm adding you to my inspiration for my tank! Such a sweet tank!

Archived